Quantcast

the Darwin kicks ass thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
having had enough patients die in my arms and having regained consciousness in ICU myself I think I have a descent grasp of the fragility of life.
Had a whole bunch of your buddies haul me out of the woods during a ride when I was having serious heart attack symptoms, including the famed "never been this tired feeling". I knew if I sat down I wasn't getting up again. But Fire and Rescue got me and my bike out of the woods. Hooked me up to an EKG and no heart problems. Turned out it was a reaction to a newly released Gout med. One of the side effects is heat attack symptoms. I don't take that med anymore and eventually stopped seeing the Rheumatologist that prescribed it.

As the sun was going down and I was pushing towards the Fire crew, I really thought there was a very good chance I wasn't getting out of the woods that evening. But I was okay with that cause I was in my comfy place out in the woods and had been free of alcohol for a year, something I never thought was possible.

And not to sound like an internet badass, but I no longer have the same fear of death I once did. Of course most addicts and alcoholics scoff at death as a deterrent to the behavior simple because it's a release from their pain. Death, yeah most of the times it not something I want. Life on the other hand is some real goddam scary shit.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Don't cross the railroad tracks wearing earphones and staring at your phone

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Train-hits-kills-11-year-old-girl-who-was-12473530.php

HAINES CITY, Fla. (AP) — An Amtrak train struck and killed an 11-year-old girl as she walked home from a restaurant near her home in Florida.

Polk County Sheriff's officials said in a news release that the train's conductor told investigators Yazmin White was looking down at her phone as she crossed the tracks on Wednesday afternoon and gave no indication she was aware the train was approaching.

The train, which had 12 passenger cars and two engines, was going about 68 miles per hour (110 kph) when it hit her.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
having had enough patients die in my arms and having regained consciousness in ICU myself I think I have a descent grasp of the fragility of life.
Don't cross the railroad tracks wearing earphones and staring at your phone

http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Train-hits-kills-11-year-old-girl-who-was-12473530.php

HAINES CITY, Fla. (AP) — An Amtrak train struck and killed an 11-year-old girl as she walked home from a restaurant near her home in Florida.

Polk County Sheriff's officials said in a news release that the train's conductor told investigators Yazmin White was looking down at her phone as she crossed the tracks on Wednesday afternoon and gave no indication she was aware the train was approaching.

The train, which had 12 passenger cars and two engines, was going about 68 miles per hour (110 kph) when it hit her.
and yet you mock....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I occasionally wonder if you exist on a level where you see an order of detail and comprehension that the rest of us are incapable of understanding, or if you have wrapped your self in a reality created from your own delusions?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I occasionally wonder if you exist on a level where you see an order of detail and comprehension that the rest of us are incapable of understanding, or if you have wrapped your self in a reality created from your own delusions?
edibles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Missing hiker found dead atop glacier on California mountain originally appeared on abcnews.go.com
A hiker who had gone missing while exploring a mountain in California was later found on top of a glacier, according to authorities.
Alan Stringer, 40, of Huntington Beach, failed to return home on Monday after setting off on Nov. 3 to hike in the area near Bishop, California, about 300 miles north, according to the Inyo County Sheriff's Office.

Stringer, who was described as an "experienced hiker" had not disclosed the details of his hiking plans or the routes he planned to take, but rescue crews used information that he had recently purchased an ice ax and crampons and participated in mountaineering training courses to narrow down the search, authorities said.

Sheriff's deputies located Stringer’s vehicle at North Lake early Tuesday morning and crews began searching for him aerially in the area, according to the sheriff's office.

A forensic analysis of Stringer’s cell phone activity revealed only one call very early Sunday in the Bishop area, before his planned hike. He was only equipped with gear for hiking during the day and had an InReach satellite communication device, but he never activated it, according to the sheriff's office.
PHOTO: Mt Darwin in California. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)

PHOTO: Mt Darwin in California. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)
More
After more aerial searches on Wednesday, Stringer was found dead by workers of the Sequoia and Kings National Park on Thursday afternoon at the top of the Darwin glacier, near the base of the notch to go up Mount Darwin, authorities said.

Further information regarding Stringer's death was not immediately available. The Sequoia and Kings National Park is conducting the investigation and the recovery of his body, according to the sheriff's office.

Well that will be an interesting funeral...