Quantcast

the day before the last day of november thread

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Christmas lists are something I don't get, never been a part of our Baby Jesus culture.
I mean it started when we were 5 and wanted this nerf gun but not that one. They still do it, but it's like super specific. We're all old enough to buy ourselves our own shit...like if I want a jersey, I'm going to buy the jersey that I want. I'd much rather have them say "Look at this cool wall art that made me think of you" or "My friend makes engraved flasks so I got you one" or something dorky like that. You know, the spirit of the season and all that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ridemonkey failing to load with an error 503 Gateway timeout is not what I need when I come back from plowing. Can you please not break RM while I'm gone? kthx

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
as long as you plan out the capacity beforehand you should be fine, especially since that will determine the # of breakers
Main concern is power loss during winter months. I sized the load to run the furnace, refrigerator, and a few LED lights/outlets with excess capacity. Bare minimum sorta thing, make sure the pipes don't burst and our food doesnt spoil.

I put in a 200 A transfer switch, don't want to fuck around with load management.
Whole home standby? We don't typically have many or extended outages, so its a stop gap measure, something to get us 3-4 days.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hallo peoples

I used my new, somewhat mediocre single stage snowblower^H thrower to clear the sidewalk in front of my house and those of my neighbors.

It tosses light snow about 10 ft. It tosses slushy snow about 1 ft

meh

At least it's quiet being electric and all, and as a single stage scrapes down to the concrete pretty well. (Yes, I could have just used my Man Plow but I wanted to try my new toy)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Stuck in SEATAC. Snowing. Plane was broke. 2 gate changes so far. Good times.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
hallo peoples

I used my new, somewhat mediocre single stage snowblower^H thrower to clear the sidewalk in front of my house and those of my neighbors.

It tosses light snow about 10 ft. It tosses slushy snow about 1 ft

meh

At least it's quiet being electric and all, and as a single stage scrapes down to the concrete pretty well. (Yes, I could have just used my Man Plow but I wanted to try my new toy)
Damn, mine (two stage) throws light snow about 40-50 feet, and 15 feet into the air. I have to throttle it down low not to piss off my neighbors.

Last edited:
Main concern is power loss during winter months. I sized the load to run the furnace, refrigerator, and a few LED lights/outlets with excess capacity. Bare minimum sorta thing, make sure the pipes don't burst and our food doesnt spoil.

Whole home standby? We don't typically have many or extended outages, so its a stop gap measure, something to get us 3-4 days.
I have done too many of those to wish to repeat

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Ugh. A vendor contract that I was working on (as a buyer) for five months got finally approved and signed by our stupid bureaucracy, five minutes before cut-off time. I am celebrating with turkey leftovers for lunch followed by a shot of nice Amaro. Shitshow project #2 continues being shit because of shitheads in executive positions who refuse to learn how reality works.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This whole 'back to back meetings' for 4hrs at a time is crap. Got to tell someone their goals for retirement were not feasible unless they made a massive life change re: spending and saving. Total disregard. They'll be working until 75+ - 20yrs from now. Oh well.

Also, I ate a bunch of licorice yesterday and now my poop is green.

Just discovered that since I have been paying for nursing assistance for Hilarie, I will need to register with the IRS as an employer, purchase more insurance, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Don't worry, none of you will age and have to deal with any of this...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I mean as long as you're o
Just discovered that since I have been paying for nursing assistance for Hilarie, I will need to register with the IRS as an employer, purchase more insurance, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Don't worry, none of you will age and have to deal with any of this...
wuhhh

Aren't you just a customer of their services? :s

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
wuhhh

Aren't you just a customer of their services? :s
Probably depends on if he directly hired the help, in which case he'd be their employer. If they set up a company that JBP is contracting, or work for a company who's services JBP is contracting then he'd be good to go.

JBP, perhaps time to consult an attorney/tax attorney, I think you could 1099 the hired help and avoid becoming their employer, though that may not work if you are their only customer, it may have some tax benefits for them as well because as an employee they can't write off as much as they can as a company owner. Alternatively, if you're paying out of pocket you could pay cash, the man doesn't need to know about your "friend" who comes over and "finds" cash on the coffee table.

Our system for caring for elderly and otherwise impaired people once they hit 18 years old in the country is, shall we say, shit.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
kiddo's new-to-him skis arrived today. he just got invited to go with a friend this weekend, so good timing. 2016-ish blizzard brahmas in good shape. hope he likes 'em! mine were/are pretty good for what we have around here.