Quantcast

The Death of a City...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=-2]Jabbar Gibson's first time behind the wheel of a school bus was spent transporting dozens of people from New Orleans to the Reliant Astrodome.

[/size][/font] School bus comandeered by renegade refugees first to arrive at Astrodome

By SALATHEIA BRYANT and CYNTHIA LEONOR GARZA
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle
The first busload of New Orleans refugees to reach the Reliant Astrodome overnight was a group of people who commandeered a school bus in the city ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and drove to Houston looking for shelter.

Jabbar Gibson, 20, said police in New Orleans told him and others to take the school bus and try to get out of the flooded city.

Gibson drove the bus from the flooded Crescent City, picking up stranded people, some of them infants, along the way. Some of those on board had been in the Superdome, among those who were supposed to be evacuated to Houston on more than 400 buses Wednesday and today. They couldn't wait.

The group of mostly teenagers and young adults pooled what little money they had to buy diapers for the babies and fuel for the bus.

After arriving at the Astrodome at about 10:30 p.m., however, they initially were refused entry by Reliant officials who said the aging landmark was reserved for the 23,000 people being evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

"Now, we don't have nowhere to go," Gibson said. "We heard the Astrodome was open for people from New Orleans. We ain't ate right, we ain't slept right. They don't want to give us no help. They don't want to let us in."

Milling about the Reliant entrance, Sheila Nathan, 38, told her teary-eyed toddler that she was too tired to hold him.

"I'm trying to make it a fairy tale so they won't panic," said Nathan, who had four grandchildren in tow. "I have to be strong for them."

After about 20 minutes of confusion and consternation, Red Cross officials announced that the group of about 50 to 70 evacuees would be allowed into the Astrodome.

All were grateful to be out of the devastation and misery that had overtaken their hometown.

"I feel good to get out of New Orleans," said Demetrius Henderson, who got off the bus with his wife and three children. Many of those around him alternated between excited, cranky and nervous, clutching suitcases or plastic garbage bags of clothes.

They looked as bedraggled as their grueling ride would suggest: 13 hours on the commandeered bus driven by a 20-year-old man. Watching bodies float by as they tried to escape the drowning city. Picking up people along the way. Three stops for fuel. Chugging into Reliant Park, only to be told initially that they could not spend the night.

Every bit worth it.

"We took the bus and got out of the city. We were trying to get out of the city," James Hickerson said.

Several passengers on the bus said they took the matter into their own hands earlier Wednesday because they felt rescuers and New Orleans authorities were too slow in offering help.

"They are not worried about us," said Makivia Horton, 22, who is five months pregnant.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
hooples3 said:
well what choices do you have when people are breaking the law and causing anarchy. and he isnt choosing between the two.. he is doing both.
why its better to help them and just let the rampage go on??? those people looting and causing meyham should put that much effort into helping others
well maybe they wouldnt be so pissed if we had actually made a effort to get down there and help. if u were stuck in a city that was just attacked by a hurricane and u herd about how all these people were helped in other countries when they were in times of need and it took people 3 days or more to get to you, you would be pissed off too.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
N8 said:
WHY DIDN'T YOU DEPLOY THE BUSES DURING THE MANDATORY EVACUATION, MAYOR?...

An aerial view of flooded school buses in a lot, Thursday, Sept. 1, 2005, in New Orleans, LA. The flood is a result of Hurricane Katrina that passed through the area last Monday.(AP Photo/Phil Coale)​
Louisiana disaster plan, pg 13, para 5 , dated 01/00

'The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require assistance in evacuating'...

J

JRB

TN said:
OK....on the shooting at the choppers issue...here is what I have to say.

They might not have been shooting at the the choppers, but just trying to get the choppers attention. If I saw a chopper 1/2 a mile away & had my dieing children, wife, mother, etc.. & I wasn't sure if the chopper saw me & I had a gun, it makes sense that if I had a gun I would use it to get their attention of the chopper pilot.

Dont go rushing to conclusions.
yeah - a sure fire way to get someone's attention to come help you is to fire a few rounds at them. :thumb: That has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever read.

*I understand and can even sign off on the stealing, but the analogies of trading TVs for food and water is BS. (not addressing TN, but saving thread counts)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
loco said:
yeah - a sure fire way to get someone's attention to come help you is to fire a few rounds at them. :thumb: That has got to be the most stupid thing I have ever read.

*I understand and can even sign off on the stealing, but the analogies of trading TVs for food and water is BS. (not addressing TN, but saving thread counts)
I am just saying, that could have been the case & the issue is not really the shooting, it is the lack of response time. Is there any printed interviews with the pilot or crew that was in that chopper?

J

JRB

TN said:
I am just saying, that could have been the case & the issue is not really the shooting, it is the lack of response time. Is there any printed interviews with the pilot or crew that was in that chopper?
I haven't seen any. I agree that response time was poor. I have been angry that Ft Hood hadn't sent any, but then I realized that it is an exercise to move that many troops without notice. I wouldn't have wanted to be in charge. That is all I mean with any of this. Not having experienced any side of it, I don't know what I would have done.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Silver said:
We did eff them. We've been ****ing them up the ass for 5 days. Funny how when they complain a little bit about being stranded without food, water, or sanitation, they turn into uppity niggers...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm heading off to the local homeless shelter to tell those lazy ****ing assholes to get a job. It's for their own good...

edit: C'mon, if anyone has earned the right to bitch, it's the people around the Superdome and Convention Center.

sweet jeebus you have GOT to be kidding me? the feds would've come sooner if they were white?

god damn i want some of the **** you are smoking, that is the biggest piece of liberal gibberish ive read in i dont know how long.

the response required is MASSIVE what makes you think it could be there in a day or even two?

are you some sort of disaster expert? you liberals make me both want to cackle with histeria and vommit at the same time.

get off your fvcking moral high horse and come back down here to reality with the rest of us

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Timeline of worst disaster in recent American history:

Monday: Hurricane Katrina hits.

Tuesday: Levies break. Rescuers are pulling people out of houses. Off of roofs. Resources are tied up in the rescue effort and looters take to the streets.

Wednesday: People start shooting at ambulances, helicopters, attacking hospitals. The police are scared. Rescue efforts are called off to try to stop the looting. Bus drivers refuse to enter city because reports of shoots fired at other buses.

Thursday: Anarchy reins. Calls for the military are put out.

Friday: The military arrives and evacuations restart.

Saturday: Evacuations almost complete of superdome and convention center.

Sunday: The superdome and convention center are totally evcuated.

Officials said more than 42,000 people have been evacuated from the city and rescue helicopters could be seen on Sunday plucking people from flooded buildings and delivering supplies.

Now while everybody complains that it didn't happen fast enough. Think about the fact that they started the rescue efforts, had to stop them(every man for himself in a 'warzone'). Then mobilize reinforcements to quell the violence and get going again. Order was restored on day four and most were out by day five.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
Wumpus said:
Timeline of worst disaster in recent Americna history:

Tuesday: Levies break. Rescuers are pulling people out of houses. Off of roofs. Resources are tied up in the rescue effort and looters take to the streets.

Wednesday: People start shooting at ambulances, helicopters, attacking hospitals. The police are scared. Rescue efforts are called off to try to stop the looting. Bus drivers refuse to enter city because reports of shoots fired at other buses.

Now while everybody complains that it didn't happen fast enough. Think about the fact that they started the rescue efforts, had to stop them(every man for himself in a 'warzone'). Then mobilize reinforcements to quell the violence and get going again. Order was restored on day four and most were out by day five.

wumpus...WTF are you thinking...you can't use logic with a libby you'll give them a headache

thanks for the timeline...good post :thumb:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ridetoofast said:
sweet jeebus you have GOT to be kidding me? the feds would've come sooner if they were white?
I happen to agree with you.
The late response by all leaders, on all levels, had nothing to do with race. Just look up the road to the MS coast, which was directly hit & also a predominantly white area & vacation destination. They didnt receive any help any sooner than NO & they were presumably more accessible since they were not 80% under water.
The whole response has been a complete cluster-fukc.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ridetoofast said:
Or rich. White and rich, the national guard would have been there on Wed, and Bush wouldn't have been screwing around in California with a guitar. You really think San Diego residents would have spent a week in a stadium?

Not just race, class had a lot to do with it too. But to jump up and down and scream that race has nothing to do with how this disaster was handled (Brown blaming the people in the Superdome for not getting out of the city, for example) makes me think that perhaps the lady doth protest too much.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
why is federal gvt the answer?

why can't states fend for themselves?

do you really always want to be led by the nose from the feds?

how about laying blame first at the governors feet?

i dont see you bitching about her at all...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ridetoofast said:
why is federal gvt the answer?

why can't states fend for themselves?

do you really always want to be led by the nose from the feds?

how about laying blame first at the governors feet?

i dont see you bitching about her at all...
First off:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129433

Secondly:

5 minutes with google gave me this:

Department of Homeland Security Budget FY 05: 40.7 Billion
Louisiana State Budget FY 05: 17.5 Billion

So, keeping in mind the state budget needs to be used for all sorts of other things (like keeping the state running) and the DHS budget is supposed to be used for (among other things) responding to disasters, who the has the resources? The state, or the federal government?

You've got a 50% chance of getting it right if you guess. I'd give that a shot, if I was you, because if you think about it I'm sure you'll come up with the wrong answer.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
hmm lets see....how many states is that 40.7 billion spread around to?
oh yeah 50 of them

the states budget is supposed to include AND plan for disaster preparedness ESPECIALLY one that has KNOWN for a LONG time that something like this might happen

ill say it again, do you want the federal gvt wiping your a$$ for you?

because we all know how EFFICIENT the feds are :rolleyes:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
ridetoofast said:
hmm lets see....how many states is that 40.7 billion spread around to?
oh yeah 50 of them

the states budget is supposed to include AND plan for disaster preparedness ESPECIALLY one that has KNOWN for a LONG time that something like this might happen

ill say it again, do you want the federal gvt wiping your a$$ for you?

because we all know how EFFICIENT the feds are :rolleyes:
Pop quiz:

Any idea what was included on the DHS list of potential disasters to respond to?

But, you're partly right. When we elect a government that is ideologically attached to the idea that government isn't good for anything, we shouldn't act surprised when they **** up big time. After all, that's exactly what they told us they would do...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Wumpus said:

thank you, well said. oh but wait....they're only doing that because they're victims of society :rolleyes:

...and to clarify from a few pages back when i said "eff em", it was in regards to those who were causing the major setbacks to the rescue effort. if you're bitter because you chose to live in a sinkhole and not evacuate when given 36 hours notice and still don't leave, then take it up with the city/state/fed government after it's all over but don't screw with the lives of the true victims of this catastrophe.

yes, we should have had more troops in sooner.
yes, the city was unprepared (although AMPLE warning about this type of situation had been given in years past)
yes, it's a horrible situation

but absolutely not, hell no, nada....does it have to do with race! i'm so sick of this crap. piss poor planning yes. "hey, let's eff with those poor folks on the bayou" no!
modern day civil rights leaders do nothing but force victimization on those they're supposed to be helping.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
manimal said:
thank you, well said. oh but wait....they're only doing that because they're victims of society :rolleyes:

...and to clarify from a few pages back when i said "eff em", it was in regards to those who were causing the major setbacks to the rescue effort. if you're bitter because you chose to live in a sinkhole and not evacuate when given 36 hours notice and still don't leave, then take it up with the city/state/fed government after it's all over but don't screw with the lives of the true victims of this catastrophe.

yes, the city was unprepared (although AMPLE warning about this type of situation had been given in years past)

but absolutely not, hell no, nada....does it have to do with race! i'm so sick of this crap. piss poor planning yes. "hey, let's eff with those poor folks on the bayou" no!
modern day civil rights leaders do nothing but force victimization on those they're supposed to be helping.
i could NOT agree more

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Bush's fault???

There was NO PLAN!

The NEW ORLEANS TIMES-PICAYUNE published a story on July 24, 2005 stating: City, state and federal emergency officials are preparing to give a historically blunt message: "In the event of a major hurricane, you're on your own."
Staff writer Bruce Nolan reported some 7 weeks before Katrina: "In scripted appearances being recorded now, officials such as Mayor Ray Nagin, local Red Cross Executive Director Kay Wilkins and City Council President Oliver Thomas drive home the word that the city does not have the resources to move out of harm's way an estimated 134,000 people without transportation."

"In the video, made by the anti-poverty agency Total Community Action, they urge those people to make arrangements now by finding their own ways to leave the city in the event of an evacuation.

"You're responsible for your safety, and you should be responsible for the person next to you," Wilkins said in an interview. "If you have some room to get that person out of town, the Red Cross will have a space for that person outside the area. We can help you."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Wumpus said:

Ok, let me revise your time table:

Monday: Hurricane hits, people die
Tuesday: Levees break, more people die
Wednesday: No help yet, chaos on the streets, more people die
Thursday: Still waiting, more people die
Friday: Gov't troops arrive, more people die.
The weekend: "Great job men", according to Bush

I wish I had some numbers for you, but I have no idea how many people died. Here is another one for you. I have no idea where you live, and maybe there is no threat of natural disaster. But I used live to down the street from this:

So to me, my old neighbor deserved a chance to live...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
manimal said:

It is hard to have sympathy for the looters. I recognize their guilty looks because they were my neighbors for 5 years. But for the hundreds of looters, there were thousands of innocents which sufferred because the Federal Gov't had their heads up their butts.

How did the looting stop? When the National Guard made an appearance 5 days later.

It is fun to discuss conservative vs. liberal politics. I enjoy spending time in Political Forum. However, this is not the time to talk politics (hmm, I think I heard someone important say that).

We can discuss the "taking responsibility for your own actions" til the Nth degree. Why did tens of thousands stay in New Orleans? We could discuss poverty, stupidity, criminality, or N'awlins craziness, but these people were there for the storm, and need our help. Do they deserve it? Is that a question anyone really wants to answer?

Would anyone here like if politics were debated if a catastophe struck your hometown? For a person who has lived in NYC during 9/11, New Orleans for Hurricane George, and now San Francisco, I don't want to hear it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Oprah's visit is being shown right now. and i cannot stand listening to the Mayor talk. what is his education?

--edit--

sounds like the Superdome was basically Bourbon St during Mardi Gras.

MTBrder6969

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Collegeville, PA
This whole situation is COMPLETELY out of hand. We knew from the very beginning that this hurricane was going to hit our country, and we had more than enough time to prepare for it. But while are people, Americans, are being killed by disease, flood waters, selfish pricks with guns, and everything else, our army is in the Middle East, helping people of another country. The people os NO need massive amounts of help, and they need it now. I am only 14 years old, and I think I could have handled this situation better then George Bush. Our own people are dying every day because of this disaster, and the President is worried about things like higher gas prices. And about all these looters, who are obviously in good enough health to steal tv sets and stereos from the local electronic store...they should be helping their fellow American citizens, their brothers, not worrying about their own personal gain. I am still in shock that people could act this way in a time like this, and my family and I are doing everything possible to help the victims of this tragedy. I have extreme amounts of respect for everyone that has posted on here, because you seem to be the only ones that give enough of a damn to take a stand on this subject and support our people. And for all you jackasses that think Bush is handling this situatuon perfectly, and that nothing else could have been done...you should just begin to consider yourself not American...because anyone that has not done anything to try and help the people in this situation should not have the privilage of looking up every day and seeing the Red, White, and Blue that make up our American Flag. We are supposed to be the symbol of freedom, and one of the greatest superpowers in the world. I think it is pretty sad that the strongest country on earth cannot come together enough to help out the people in need.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
MTBrder6969 said:
This whole situation is COMPLETELY out of hand. We knew from the very beginning that this hurricane was going to hit our country, and we had more than enough time to prepare for it. But while are people, Americans, are being killed by disease, flood waters, selfish pricks with guns, and everything else, our army is in the Middle East, helping people of another country. The people os NO need massive amounts of help, and they need it now. I am only 14 years old, and I think I could have handled this situation better then George Bush. Our own people are dying every day because of this disaster, and the President is worried about things like higher gas prices. And about all these looters, who are obviously in good enough health to steal tv sets and stereos from the local electronic store...they should be helping their fellow American citizens, their brothers, not worrying about their own personal gain. I am still in shock that people could act this way in a time like this, and my family and I are doing everything possible to help the victims of this tragedy. I have extreme amounts of respect for everyone that has posted on here, because you seem to be the only ones that give enough of a damn to take a stand on this subject and support our people. And for all you jackasses that think Bush is handling this situatuon perfectly, and that nothing else could have been done...you should just begin to consider yourself not American...because anyone that has not done anything to try and help the people in this situation should not have the privilage of looking up every day and seeing the Red, White, and Blue that make up our American Flag. We are supposed to be the symbol of freedom, and one of the greatest superpowers in the world. I think it is pretty sad that the strongest country on earth cannot come together enough to help out the people in need.
Thanks for telling me I'm not american Adolf.

Federal mobilization of ANYTHING takes a while to get rolling. We know this ALL too well.

FEMA was run by an idiot. The Govenor of LA is clueless, as is the mayor of NO. This has been coming for years, and we knew it. Another problem here was also that the news have cried wolf so many times ("THIS WILL BE THE BIG ONE....Wait...sorry, it missed for the 358th time") that a number of people I've heard just didn't believe that anything would actually hit.

There are plenty of people to blame here, from the idiots who wouldn't leave to the idiots who run FEMA and the rest of the emergency response groups.