Quantcast

The death of British Democracy thread.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
it's almost like there has been a years-long global effort to destabilize powerful countries from the inside.
How does the UK gubmit really work? I heard this morning Liz Truss was installed by the Conservative party, even though she had the support of >1% of the voting population.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
It's a parliamentary instead of a presidential system, so the majority party can decide on a prime minister, even a deeply unpopular one, without asking the voting public. And while that will appear weird and undemocratic especially from an American perspective, at least in Britain you can dump a prime minister when she becomes too embarrassing even for an utter shitshow like the Tories. Whereas in America you have a nutjob as president locked in for four years and his party will be subservient and radicalize along with him.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What he said^^.

Closest equivalent in the USA would be ignore the president poition and it would be the majority party leader in the house who would be in charge.

edit: and General Elections when the MP's are elected aren't on a rigid fixed cycle. They have a maximum term of 5 years, but can occur anytime within that window if the party in charge decides to call one.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Parliamentarians for hire.

Quite an informative wee video in this Mastodon post.
such amateurs

not even illegal

here it is and it happens, we're much bigger assholes

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
you should be aware of this person and the work she does, if you're not

Good times when she had a segment on Charlie Brooker's show along with Doug Stanhope, when the culture war wasn't quite as hot and I wasn't middle aged and bitter.