Quantcast

The debates and stuff.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I can't remember the exact context but Romney made some reference to Reagan polices being the reason for economic surplus ( forgetting about Clinton ), or something like that. Then towards the end of the debate he smugly stated that trickle down economics has never worked in this country.

This must be a new land speed flip flop record for the Romney.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I can't remember the exact context but Romney made some reference to Reagan polices being the reason for economic surplus ( forgetting about Clinton ), or something like that. Then towards the end of the debate he smugly stated that trickle down economics has never worked in this country.

This must be a new land speed flip flop record for the Romney.
He actually said trickle down government. It is supposed to be the cute counter punch to people who claim trickle down economics is BS. Makes sense to those in the right wing blogosphere bubble I guess.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Winner winner, chicken dinner. You know someone's full of isht when the moderator calls them out on a blatantly lie.
Seriously. And how about his answer (I use the term loosely) to the question about equal pay for women? He made no mention of pay at all. Just that he'd made a concerted effort to hire women in some capacity when governor. It sounded more like he was addressing a woman's right to enter the workforce.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Seriously. And how about his answer (I use the term loosely) to the question about equal pay for women? He made no mention of pay at all. Just that he'd made a concerted effort to hire women in some capacity when governor. It sounded more like he was addressing a woman's right to enter the workforce.
Well of course not, he hired women because he could pay them less, duh.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Facebook conservatives are a blaze with posts about the moderator being a partisan hack put in place to make Obama look good. :panic:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Keeping it classy.
WASHINGTON -- In the wake of Rep. Paul Ryan's embarrassing soup kitchen photo-op last week, the organization that runs the facility tells The Huffington Post that donors have begun pulling their money out of the Youngstown, Ohio charity.

Ryan may have suffered a few late-night jokes, but the fallout for the soup kitchen appears to be far more bruising. Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, confirmed that donors have begun an exodus in protest over Ryan's embarrassment. The monetary losses have been big. "It appears to be a substantial amount," Antal said. "You can rest assured there has been a substantial backlash."

Antal says he can't give an actual dollar amount. "I can't say how much [in] donations we lost," he said. "Donations are a private matter with our organization."

Antal's charity represents the kind of organization that conservative Republicans might champion. But that was before the Ryan incident went viral a few days ago. According to The Washington Post, Antal said that the moment should never have happened. He told the newspaper that the photo-op was not authorized and that the campaign had “ramrodded their way” inside.

Ryan supporters have now targeted Antal and his soup kitchen, Antal said, including making hundreds of angry phone calls. Some members of Antal's volunteer staff have had to endure the barrage as well, he said. "The sad part is a lot of [the callers] want to hide behind anonymity," he said, adding that if someone leaves their name and number he has tried to return their call. In addition to phone calls, people have posted a few choice words on the charity's Facebook wall, including statements like "I hope you lose your tax [sic] emempt status," Anyone who is thinking about donations to you should think twice" and "Shame on you Brian Antal!"

On the phone with HuffPost, Antal seemed worn out by all the vitriol. "Honesty, I really don't need any more attention," he said. "I really just want this to go away."

Antal said doesn't understand why donors would take out their frustration over the incident on those who can't afford to pay for their own meals. "I'm a volunteer,' he said. "I receive zero compensation. Withholding donations is only going to hurt the over 100,000 we serve annually."

To make a donation to the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, money can be sent to P.O. Box 224, Youngstown, Ohio 44501. Donations also may be made online. Online donors should specify that their donations are for the Youngstown, Ohio, soup kitchen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/18/soup-kitchen-paul-ryan-photo-donor_n_1980541.html

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Damn, that looked pretty brutal for Romney...........

In other news, I voted this morning, so how do I opt out out the 24/7 advertising that's going on? Our market is usually in the top 5 media markets for campaign spending in the country, so probably 50-75% of ALL commercials on TV are political ads.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Romney said we have as few Naval ships since 1916. If we could have had just one of our modern nuclear carriers back then WWI would have been over real ****ing quick!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Romney said we have as few Naval ships since 1916. If we could have had just one of our modern nuclear carriers back then WWI would have been over real ****ing quick!
We have 11 of the worlds 22 aircraft carriers, 22 of the worlds 28 cruisers, 71 of the worlds 174 nukular subs. We spend 5 times as much money on the military as the second most spendy country, China. Clearly we need to cut spending on everything else and beef up our weak military.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
We have 11 of the worlds 22 aircraft carriers, 22 of the worlds 28 cruisers, 71 of the worlds 174 nukular subs. We spend 5 times as much money on the military as the second most spendy country, China. Clearly we need to cut spending on everything else and beef up our weak military.
And we need to be able to fight two wars at the same time because we totally haven't done that recently.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
need moar shipz...

What's funny was my first ship was the flagship of the Navy in 1992. It had both AEGIS Spy 1A illumination radar AND the vertical launch system. It was a beast and only required 325 sailors. 5 years later there were destroyers with the same or more capacity with less than 200 squids.

A proper battle group used to be a carrier and 6-7 support ships. Now you can do the same duties with a carrier and a few bad ass destroyers with half the manpower. It's about capabilities and Obama was spot on with that.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Obama's response about the navy. I definitely lol'd for a while.
you mean that part where he looked down his nose to equate horses & bayonets to ships? does he then mean we don't need ships to run a navy???

my takeaway: they have different strategies, but the same results, which makes romney look like not much of a significant alternative. if romney were a little more fleet-footed, he would have bush-doctrined obama by painting him as shrub v2.0.

balls deep, that would be

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
does he then mean we don't need ships to run a navy???
Did you even read my post?

MOAR boats != Stronger Navy.

USS Lake Champlain could carry as many as 50 nukes and could fire 48 of them in under 15 minutes (includes reloading the forward VLS in about 12 min) and another 100 multi payload tomahawks (non nuke in the aft VLS). Do we REALLY need more than a few of those in the water? Do you know what 50 nuke tomahawks can do to someone?

Don't get me started on "3 new subs".

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Did you even read my post?
i did.

furthermore, if we had enough boats, we could displace sufficient water to flood our enemies' shores, forcing those not washed away to collect in the highlands, where we could more efficiently neutralize them with the USS Archimedes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We need a bigger military so we can fight more wars so we can need a bigger military so lockheed, boeing and $tinkle can feed off of our collective teet.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
you mean that part where he looked down his nose to equate horses & bayonets to ships? does he then mean we don't need ships to run a navy???

my takeaway: they have different strategies, but the same results, which makes romney look like not much of a significant alternative. if romney were a little more fleet-footed, he would have bush-doctrined obama by painting him as shrub v2.0.

balls deep, that would be
I'm pretty sure that horses and bayonets equates to wooden and steel gunboats, torpedo boats, battleships and cruisers that we had in 1916 that have been rendered obsolete over the past century. Would you rather have 46 gunboats/torpedo boats from 1916 or one nuclear-powered aircraft carrier from today?

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org9-4b.htm#1910

Obviously in Romney's feeble brain 46 > 1, but I'd hope that a president candidate would know better...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i propose 2 separate teets:
- whole white milk
- strawberry quik

oh yes i did.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We need a bigger military so we can fight more wars so we can need a bigger military so lockheed, boeing and $tinkle can feed off of our collective teet.
Sounds like the cocaine commercial of the 80's.

"I do coke, so I can work harder, so I can earn more, so I can do more coke..."

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
If you recall their little tussle about Romney wanting to not give the auto industry money, here's the op ed mittens wrote about it in 08
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html

And for those who think the navy is too small, we have twice the carriers of the entire rest of the world combined.

And for those who think we need to spend more on the army, the army says they have too many tanks. To put it into context, 2,000 tanks at 5 million a pop, is TEN BILLION dollars worth of tanks sitting in the desert that the army doesn't need

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/army-to-congress-thanks-but-no-tanks/?hpt=hp_c1

Last edited: