Quantcast

The decaying ZONE

wheeliemert

Chimp
Jun 11, 2004
g-boro
After reading an eye opener "letter to the editor" yesterday(2-6-08) speaking about the ZONE's decay, it struck a nerve. I do feel as if I've been lacking the drive to get the Zone in shape. Things do come up and that's no excuse. I feel with the Fat Tire Society's new wind we could schedule a bi-monthly maintenance work day. There's a good population of riders that enjoy that type of riding and we could pull together and be a bit more responsible. It will also show the city officials that we care about what they've given us and may increase the possibility of building structures like the North Shore. We need to show that we are going to have a schedule of work days to keep everything and everybody SAFE, because that's what it is all about...SAFETY FIRST! I'll post the work days and times as soon as we get the O.K. We are shooting for the 16th and 17th of February. P.M. me with any questions.

adevault

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
yea, I am working on getting a bobcat there for at least one of those days. I think Merrit has plans to build a sweet pump track down at the bottom. So everybody come out if you can and we should be able to knock it out quick!!!

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
The 16th is also a scheduled workday for the new Wild Turkey trail out by Lake Brandt, so you might loose a few of us that have already committed to working out there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mert, you may want to go to http://groups.yahoo.com once you build an email list of active riders in your area to notify them of trail dates, events, fundraisers, routes, changes, litigation, meetings, etc. The calender, files and updates are very useful for those that subscribe.

It does not BEAT a good old phone call, but it makes a great library, journal and storage for keeping everyone organized. Just a thought.

Butch

wheeliemert

Chimp
Jun 11, 2004
g-boro
Yep I'm aware of the Wild Turkey build day. But since there's an issue of SAFETY at the ZONE, I want to address this asap! Yea it will slow the progression of the cross country trail, but on the other hand the folks that participated the other weekend hardly ride or have never ridden the zone. It's 2 different kind of styles. Some ride both so they have to make the decision of which they want to do. If we don't address this soon it can be taken away from us.http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/images/smilies/plthumbsdown.gif
:plthumbsdown: I think we can attack both trails in one day with 2 separate groups. Mark's team and the FREERIDING group. Blue team go!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Where is the Zone? I am up in the Tri Area a lot and would be glad to help if I am around that day.

Cecil
country park...you've been there. it's official name is "the zone"

i can be out there in the afternoon on the 17th, working the 16th though. noah will be stoked as he hates the crappy lips that have been built up by the kiddies.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
supposed to rain sat too , and it snowed last night ... so when you wakie wakie, it will be all white outside, we had tons of wrecks last nights and still taking um ...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
the weather held out and so did our 4 shovels. we were able to clean up and repair a lot of the erosion damage, particularly the rocks. the course looks groomed and maintained now and all of the stupid tall lips have been knocked back down where they should be.

noah had a good time as well and actually put in some decent work. we built a small double/step-down for the kiddies that is roll-able yet will be a fun boost jump for the youngins or beginners. it's a stand alone jump so it'll be nice for people who can't clean the whole line but still want something to clear.
noah on the jump he helped build.

and on the lower section (double with the hump in it)

hopefully we'll have a better turnout for the big build day? :D

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
a few of us were planning on coming down from Roanoke, but the weather report scared us away, I also have been sick as a dog lately... When is the official workday? sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread... good job on the work too, I'd hate to see that place to go to waste after everyone worked so hard on getting it approved/built....

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
a few guys from roanoke showed up around 2 and rode for a while. one of them said he knew the VT crew.
i'm sure merritt will post up the dates for the big workday whenever it gets lined up.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
k, I'll be sure to come down and throw shovels; riding being secondary, I already road there once and felt like an ass for not doing any work....... not quite sure who it was that made it down....

i'll keep an eye out for the work date....