Quantcast

The Diablo Shop (mechanic question)

Feb 29, 2008
So, I'm a noob when it comes to taking my fork apart, but I need a new spring in there. I bought the spring (it's a 2009 888 RCV) but none of the shops around here are capable of putting it in my bike (I live in upstate, NY).

MY question is: If I bring it with me to Diablo on Sunday, would it be possible to have one of the mechanics stick it in there for me? My oil levels are totally fine and the fork has all of 4 hours of riding on it at most so it shouldn't need anything else.

And I would totally attempt to do it myself, but Marz didn't give me any manuals, I can't find a detailed one online and I don't trust myself to do that kind of work when it might cost me opening weekend.

Commence calling me a pussy.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
So, I'm a noob when it comes to taking my fork apart, but I need a new spring in there. I bought the spring (it's a 2009 888 RCV) but none of the shops around here are capable of putting it in my bike (I live in upstate, NY).

MY question is: If I bring it with me to Diablo on Sunday, would it be possible to have one of the mechanics stick it in there for me? My oil levels are totally fine and the fork has all of 4 hours of riding on it at most so it shouldn't need anything else.

And I would totally attempt to do it myself, but Marz didn't give me any manuals, I can't find a detailed one online and I don't trust myself to do that kind of work when it might cost me opening weekend.

Commence calling me a pussy.
What, all you did was ask a question. Replacing a spring is no big deal. One of the mechanics named john who only works on sundays should be able to do it. He loves jobs like that.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
its not difficult at all if you are mechanically inclined to the slightest degree - given some information that is (like what needs to be removed, in what order, blah)

They should be able to do it for you, or someone in here will post the detailed instrux!

That was ~helpful!

Ill be back with instrux if I find anything clear!

Feb 29, 2008
its not difficult at all if you are mechanically inclined to the slightest degree - given some information that is (like what needs to be removed, in what order, blah)

They should be able to do it for you, or someone in here will post the detailed instrux!

That was ~helpful!

Ill be back with instrux if I find anything clear!

Appreciate it. I've heard that it's actually a pretty simple process, but without really specific instructions, I have everything required to screw it up big time.

So stoked on riding this weekend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not sure where you are or how much time you have, but Advance cyclery in Syracuse has pretty good CS with knowledgeable DH riders...they might be able to help you out in a pinch.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I would suggest posting this question in the tech section of RM, I get a sneaking suspicion someone on there can point you in the direction of a thread with step by step (and picture) instructions on how to do this. Otherwise I hear the wrenches at diablo are pretty savvy, they could probably help but I suggest either going before the lift opens (around 8:30am) or plan on waiting a few minutes because the mornings are often busy with rentals etc. Hope this helps!

Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the help, guys. It doesn't look like I'm going to have time to actually take the thing apart myself before I go anyways, so I'm going to show up at Diablo as early as possible on Sunday. It'll mean leaving at 6 AM, but it'll be worth it.

rossp

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
Look on MTBR for posts on marz tech manuals - there are links to the full service manuals as well as the regular owners manual, but I'm not sure how up to date they are. On one of my foks, changing a coil was literally a 5 min job - it may save you time tomorrow.

Feb 29, 2008
Word, I'll check it out. I was OK taking apart my 05 888 VF, but the RCV I have has air preload on the top so I'm not sure what it looks like under there.

I might bring two bikes so I can ride one while the other one is in surgery.