Quantcast

the difference between australia and the usa

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
heres my attempt at a n8 cut and paste... although this is more interesting than anything he has ever posted ;)...

here is an interesting snip from an article i read this morning...

'For the most part, reformers have kept voters on board by sticking to the notion of the "fair go." This deeply held Aussie value means looking out for those at the bottom of the heap. Through all the reforms, Australia has continued to set minimum wages per industry. Benefits like healthcare, pensions, and prescription drugs are also means tested, directing more to the poor than the wealthy.'

taken from:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20060307/wl_csm/oglobaloz

to me it highlights the main differences between oz and the usa... i m not trying to knock anyone or anything so before you get your star and stripes panties in a knot, hear me out... just that in oz we seem to look out more for people on the bottom of the heap as opposed to the usa...

the gov't mandated 9% deposit of wages is a great idea for retirement - thanks to this the oz gov't has a huge surplus of coin...

good article and an interesting read... funnily enough, like the usa, the gap between rich and poor is widening... i guess that is somewhat of a world wide phenoma...

i realize that this may belong in the political debate forum, but here sees more traffic and a more ecclectic bunch of posters...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
stevew said:
I thought rednecks were exclusively ours?
yeah, we don t have rednecks as such - at least not by name... i dunno what we d call em... i mean our equivalent.... maybe dole bludgers / bogans ??? interesting...

the redneck is a uniquely US deal...

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
partsbara said:
go and spend some time in both places and tell me where you d rather be from....

but first of all, untwist ya stars and stripes panties :)
Sorry I wasn't trying to slam Australians, just commenting on how GB originally populated Australia. You know what I'm talkin' about.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
macko said:
Sorry I wasn't trying to slam Australians, just commenting on how GB originally populated Australia. You know what I'm talkin' about.
no worries... yeah, i know what ya gettin at...

funnily enough i actually GET ON MY FREAKIN KNEES AND THANK CHRIST that my relatives were convicts... my relatives (on both sides) on the original boats that carried the evil do-ers...

when english folks actually mock my ancestory, i ask them if they have ever been to oz... many say yes, and i tell them i really lost out eh ??? :)

stoopid poms ;) should have left the petty criminals (my rellies were shipped out for stealing basic food items like bread) in england...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
partsbara said:
(my rellies were shipped out for stealing basic food items like bread)
If it was 12 grain that would indeed be a crime punishable by banishment. However if just a nibble were consumed the recognition of wrongdoing would be overwhelming, and the necesesity to break the law would have evaporated since they would then have realized they would no longer ever be hungry again.

Orowheat 4:16

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The whole British convicts story sure explains a lot...

Just got back from my boarding trip and it was the tits. The sunn didnt shine much but the snow was excellent.
Too bad your leaving early, Namur would have rocked and even good ol Winterberg would be nice to ride again after some cold Juplilers.
I guess I wouldnt worry about it too much if I was leaving for friggin nor cal you lucky son of a bitch :rofl:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
For 15 years, Australia has grown at an average 3.7 percent clip without any sign of recession. The stock market is up 37 percent this year, and, last week, registered a record number of trades. The boom has slashed unemployment, doubled the country's wealth, and taken care of all but pocket change on its debt.

Mm... I needs me an Aussie stock fund... :)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
N8 said:
Mm... I needs me an Aussie stock fund... :)
real estate... how does a house, purchased 11 years ago for 140K AUD, now worth 520K AUD sound ???

wish it was mine... my parents house is in a sick location...

talking to my old man earlier today

dad - 'yeah it s 38C here... has been for three days... sittin under the patio out the back, pool looks good... might have a dip... it s about 6.30pm here... the sky is pink, the ocean is calm still.. looks great.'

me - 'guess what color the sky is here?'

rained like sh1t (again) here today..

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
partsbara said:
yeah, we don t have rednecks as such - at least not by name... i dunno what we d call em... i mean our equivalent.... maybe dole bludgers / bogans ??? interesting...

the redneck is a uniquely US deal...
I used to have a Aussie roommate...he told me the Austrailian version of a redneck were "Yabbos"....after that all us Americans started wearing Tanktops (singlets), short running shorts, flip flops, and our wallets folded over our waistbands.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Dog Welder said:
I used to have a Aussie roommate...he told me the Austrailian version of a redneck were "Yabbos"....after that all us Americans started wearing Tanktops (singlets), short running shorts, flip flops, and our wallets folded over our waistbands.
yabbos :)... yobbos mate... my understanding of 'yobbo' is that its more of an act or incident, rather than a type of person... but i could be wrong... interested to hear what vb has to say on the matter...

short shorts / singlets ... 80s i guess dog welder ?? you (and i) are showing our age...

now we ve moved to board shorts and t shirts... singlets if it gets too hot... :)

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
please don t hate my freedom... go to the outback steakhouse... thats a genuine oz experience right there... afterall, they have 'no rules' in that place... :rolleyes:

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sure... we have our share of slvts... show me a place that doesn t... it s amazing what a different accent and a half decent game will do if ya looking for unchristian love...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
partsbara said:
sure... we have our share of slvts... show me a place that doesn t... it s amazing what a different accent and a half decent game will do if ya looking for unchristian love...
I like how you can buy nudie magazines in every store down there. That makes me happy. I also like how people just give each other **** all day and no one ever gets offended.
Im sitting in a bar and some fat girl walks in and everyones all like "Well yer a big one arentcha?" and the whole place busts out laughing, and the chick doesnt even get mad. Everyone buys her drinks and she ends up leaving with one of the dudes, who will no doubt get **** the next day for leaving with her. I love oz.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
yeah, it s not bad shirley... most of all i miss the laid back attitude... i like livin in the US tho'.. so many choices and some great geography...

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
My step-dad's kiwi, and I've been to NZ twice (2 weeks the first, 6 months the second). I'd love to visit your "woods", and get to see Ayers Rock.

That being said, while I was visiting Phoenix, I borrowed the book, "Great Kiwi Jokes", from my brother. Man, did I have a laugh!

Examples--

Why do Aussies call their beer XXXX?
Because they can't spell beer.

Why do birds fly up-side-down over Australia?
Because it isn't worth crapping on.

Why do Australian horses run so fast?
Because they've seen what the Aussies do to the sheep.

Ok, I know, change "Aussie" to any other comparable nationality, and you've got an area-specific joke. I'm just agreeing with you and Shirley about the laid-back attitude of the folks that call the South Pacific home. Man, I'd love to go back (and with my current home situation- wife way over-spending behind my back, I may do just that). Or go to Vegas.........