Quantcast

The Digging Rules

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i have put yalls points together with some of my own..... add/edit/make suggestions. maybe we'll get a Sticky.

THE DIGGING RULES:

1. Trail Boss is person (or persons) who started the spot from nothing, or took over when previous Trail Boss resigned (by moving out of town or something).

2. Diggers are people who regularly dig with the Trail Boss to build new lines and maintain/change existing ones.

3. Digging refers to actually digging new dirt and significant maintenance work. It does not refer to "tweaking" lips or "re-shaping" things you don't like or "don't flow" for you. Lip shape and transition design are the privilege of the Trail Boss. If he's a new school steep tranny rider, then that's how it is. If he's a DH'er who wants big flat trannies, then that's how it is.

4. Newb Ettiquette. If you show up to a spot while Diggers and/or Trail Boss is digging, you dig before riding. This applies whether you are a grom or a pro. Be chill. Don't talk too much, just dig. More wheelbarrows filled is more respect you are earning. Do not offer to "fix lips" or other design changes. Just fill wheelbarrows, carry buckets of water, etc. If you show up and Trail Boss and Diggers are not present, it is generally permissible to do very basic maintenance like watering (be careful if someone's hose water is being used)--DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.

5. Locals are are riders who regularly ride the trails. Sometimes they dig, sometimes they don't. Don't ask a local for permission to change something. If you're new, you don't know what relationship they have to the Trail Boss or Diggers.

6. Pirating is where a large group of new riders find a spot that another Trail Boss and Diggers built (and has not been abandoned) and proceed to ride there a lot and begin digging without consulting Trail Boss.

7. Abandoned spot is one that was built but has been completely un-ridden and un-maintained for a substantial period of time. Not just the rainy season, or not just several weeks so grass is growing. Generally you can ride there (depending on the attitude level) but you cannot change things. You can do basic maintenance like watering and patching. Eventually, the spot can become yours, but give it a while.

8. Repairing Damage done by yourself or others is expected and does not require specific permission. If you take a chunk out of a landing or otherwise mess it up, of if there are ruts from people riding while muddy, put your bike down and go fix it. (If you don't know how to fix it, ask).

9. Picking Up Trash other people's trash is appreciated, and hauling out your own is required.

10. Maintenance is watering (or baililing water out of pits if you're in a rainy area), sweeping away leaves, picking up trash left by others etc. (Sweeping dust off of dry jumps is not as cool as actually hauling the water to re-wet the jump, which will settle the dust AND re-pack it when ridden).

11. Secrecy. Don't tell others about a spot unless specifically authorized by Trail Boss, or it's a "public" spot, meaning paid for by a City etc. not simply 'on public land.' Pictures/Video of super-secret spots is forbidden. Pictures/Video of semi-secret spots is okay as long as you tell no one (or even hint) where it is.

12. Riding is done only after you have demonstrated appropriate willingness to Maintain, Repair, Pick Up Trash, and Dig. Sometimes a spot will have enough diggers, so maintenance, repair, and picking up trash is enough that is required.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
It all boils down to common courtesy, and a desire to contribute.

If you are going to go ride someone's spot, make every effort to get an invite.
Offer to help in any way that they can think of.
Trash is one of the worst things spots suffer from... and indicates how few people actually observe trails etiquette.

Politely and respectfully remind people about the rules/etiquette, many people are just ignorant of how it should be, and not really the disrespectful a$$holes they accidentally act like. :D

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
Props.
Nice list.
You should add something about pictures/video. Like, no pictures should be taken unless permission was granted by trail boss.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Ask the locals about parking, too. This is important, and can sometimes lead to problems. Also, be respectful, and I don't mean just to the other riders. Don't be loud or obnoxious. Don't get wild in the parking areas, etc. You may be just visiting, but the locals have to deal with the reprecussions of your actions long after you are gone. Act like an idiot and you can expect the BFL.

BFL = Banned For Life. It happens.

Also, if it's your first time there take some time before you start riding to actually walk the area and learn the various lines. The last thing you want to do is to hit a run that crosses over another one and mess up one of the locals. Do that and expect the yellow flags to start flying. Get a couple yellows and you're done for the day.

Last edited:

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
GROM: a kid that shows up just waiting for you to leave so they can "practice" on your masterpiece. May say things like: "hey...do you jump these?"
I am the trail boss, and i will have kids show up and say, "wow man do you jumps these, I will say, NO I hate coming here because the trail boss is a jerk he says NO dig NO stand around and talk about riding.

Motomack86

Chimp
Jun 26, 2004
Belmont,California
I like the rules! Just wish people were more respectfull around here.Between 50s,groms that threaten to sue you,bike shops and punk bmxers i can't enforce any of the rules in this thread.I feel like the bad guy for trying to protect my hard work.

aeffertz

Monkey
Jun 12, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
^ haha.

What's with the "trail boss" term? It actually bugs the piss out of me. Why does it have to sound like some video game deal?
Why not trail owner?

Minden

Chimp
Jun 1, 2008
Who doesn't like the video game deal? I would be stoked to be called the "trail boss" of a trail called "Bowsers Castle" :biggrin:.
Haha it kinda makes me feel like whoever built the trail is gonna make you fight him for the right to ride the trail (and a piece of the triforce!:brows:).

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
A Trail BOSS is a good thing. Someone should have authority, and be the last word on what gets done.... It helps eliminate conflicts.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Secrecy Addendum:

Don't ever refer to a non-public trail by the name of the street it is located nearest. You might as well google map it if this is the case because you are basically telling all the pirates where it is. As a matter of fact, when posting pictures on the internet of trails that aren't yours, you shouldn't really post the name of them regardless of what it is.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
"why not trail owner" why not? because thats weak as fyck, listen your obviously not a trail boss because the term boss means someone that works their ****ing ass off points fingers and makes decisions. Stick to what your best at dude and **** up other peoples hard work.
Who pissed in your Wheaties? :biggrin:
BTW, the contraction of "you are" has an apostrophe and an e on it like this: "you're".

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Who pissed in your Wheaties? :biggrin:
BTW, the contraction of "you are" has an apostrophe and an e on it like this: "you're".

It's called FED UP trail boss!

btw, I think you need a comma between "it" and "like" or perhaps a semicolon :happydance:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Being the Trail Boss is not a license for assholishness.... as some would assume.
The best ones love to do what they do, and take the bad with the good without letting it drive them mad. Freaking out only causes more problems. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and be the bigger man. What's more important, acting like you're hard, or having dirt jumps to ride? For some, it's the former, unfortunately. And the reason for many a spot to be destroyed.

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
Being the Trail Boss is not a license for assholishness.....
Building and maintaining a spot gives you the right to act anyway you want at said spot, and Ive never heard of any spot getting torn down due to someone being an asshole. Also, I left my apostrophe off of Ive so you can keep feeling better about correcting grammar in a bike forum. Tool. Where did the word assholishness come from?

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
Being the Trail Boss is not a license for assholishness.... as some would assume.
The best ones love to do what they do, and take the bad with the good without letting it drive them mad. Freaking out only causes more problems. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and be the bigger man. What's more important, acting like you're hard, or having dirt jumps to ride? For some, it's the former, unfortunately. And the reason for many a spot to be destroyed.
I get what you are saying. When I spoke above, I was speaking out of personal experience with the situations that happen at my spot. flatrls is a trail boss at our spot. When you swallow your pride over and over people begin to take advantage of you. Believe it or not, it takes more than just telling people what to do or what to not do. Most of the "trail ediquette" you and I consider common sense is like another language to the pirates that disrespect the place. Personally, I have freaked out a couple times while at the trails and guess what...everyone stops doing what they are doing and pics up a shovel.

Theres no reason to be an ass for no reason...but when people continually disrespect you, you have to do whats necessary to get it in their head that the trails won't exist if you can't follow the ediquette. When you are the only ones spending money on shovels, rakes, tampers, wheel barrows, tarps, post & chains, and digging for hours on end "till your hands bleed, when people keep rapeing your spot without putting any effort in, leaving their case marks everywhere, skidding, telling people about the spot, thowing trash everywhere, being loud and obnoxious, etc etc......sometimes you just lose it....(run on sentence i know)

In my opionion the trails exist for no other reason than the trail boss' vision, time, and hard work. He has the executive power to do whatever the F$ck he wants...right?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I get what you are saying. When I spoke above, I was speaking out of personal experience with the situations that happen at my spot. flatrls is a trail boss at our spot. When you swallow your pride over and over people begin to take advantage of you. Believe it or not, it takes more than just telling people what to do or what to not do. Most of the "trail ediquette" you and I consider common sense is like another language to the pirates that disrespect the place. Personally, I have freaked out a couple times while at the trails and guess what...everyone stops doing what they are doing and pics up a shovel.

Theres no reason to be an ass for no reason...but when people continually disrespect you, you have to do whats necessary to get it in their head that the trails won't exist if you can't follow the ediquette. When you are the only ones spending money on shovels, rakes, tampers, wheel barrows, tarps, post & chains, and digging for hours on end "till your hands bleed, when people keep rapeing your spot without putting any effort in, leaving their case marks everywhere, skidding, telling people about the spot, thowing trash everywhere, being loud and obnoxious, etc etc......sometimes you just lose it....(run on sentence i know)

In my opionion the trails exist for no other reason than the trail boss' vision, time, and hard work. He has the executive power to do whatever the F$ck he wants...right?
You know the score... You have to draw a line, and be firm. Maybe even law down the law. That's why you need a good TB, one that can use some common sense and deal with issues appropriately. Also guiding others in how to deal with problems.
I have seen firsthand what can happen when some tact is not employed. It sucks if the people let their pride and anger ruin things for everyone.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Hey dudes (aeefertz and flatrls), is there any way I can get you guys to go back in and clean these sh!t posts up? IMO, it spoils the intent of the thread. Seems like it was meant to be informative and it turned into a p!ssing match.

As a former TB myself, I'd appreciate it if people had a spot to go to see the rules and not be inundated with the typical BS you'd find at the trails anyway. JMO

Thanks for considering