Quantcast

The Digging Rules

mtnbiker75

Chimp
Apr 17, 2009
South Asheville
Three skids rule ? Dang you guys are a little too serious for me. Nice post though. Very informative. Now all I need is dirt jumps to impress the locals with my etiquette !!! lol ;)

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Big wheelers seem to use the term DJs more, and bmxers seem to use trails more.
Both terms describe mounds of dirt used to catch air. :D

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Big wheelers seem to use the term DJs more, and bmxers seem to use trails more.
Both terms describe mounds of dirt used to catch air. :D
. . . .which makes sense because with mtb you gotta distinguish between jump spots versus regular cross country trails.....

in BMX though, "trails" also has the connotation of homegrown spots with a focus on skills/technique/flow style jumping rather than "trick ferret" or hucking that used to be associated with Dirt Jump contests.... in the late 90s when the X-Games first featured "Dirt Jumping" as an event, a lot of "trails" riders thought it misrepresented what trails riding was about. you don't just huck over 3 doubles in a row flipping around like a fish out of water.... although there still is that divide between soul trails riders and trick jumpers, it's not as defined any more since everyone has gotten better--the trick guys are smoother and the trails guys have more tricks... that's my impression anyway. still though, you'll see it as a debate....someone does a backflip double tailwhip and lands flatbottom and a foot falls off... someone else does a super inverted tabletop really high and lands clean. which is better? who know? who cares?... etc. etc.

Matt22inch

Chimp
Apr 28, 2009
FTL Ga.
we got some sick trails where I live and the guys who built them will actually fight you if you destroy something and don't fix it. Plus if bmx racers show up you might want to look away. They don't like the racers.

Rules of our trails

1. don't tell anyone about them. (find em on your own.)

2. You mess it up you fix it.

3. there is a trash can. use it.

4. if everyone else is working you work too.

5. if you can't make the first one don't try anymore

6. You must blind fold new people you bring until they can be trusted
(the entire ride there and the walk back.)

7. Work on what is there. Don't build new stuff.

8. No drugs at all. (we aren't taking the fall for your dumb ass)

9. Put the tools back where they belong.

10. you move a carpet or a tarp so you can ride, put it back when you are done.

11. DO NOT EVER TAKE PICS OR VIDEO OF THE TRIP THERE OR THE WALK BACK TO THEM. ONCE YOU ARE THERE GO AHEAD. BUT NO PICS OF THE WAY OUT ETHER.

Easy to remember.

scag

Monkey
Nov 19, 2004
. . . .which makes sense because with mtb you gotta distinguish between jump spots versus regular cross country trails.....

in BMX though, "trails" also has the connotation of homegrown spots with a focus on skills/technique/flow style jumping rather than "trick ferret" or hucking that used to be associated with Dirt Jump contests.... in the late 90s when the X-Games first featured "Dirt Jumping" as an event, a lot of "trails" riders thought it misrepresented what trails riding was about. you don't just huck over 3 doubles in a row flipping around like a fish out of water.... although there still is that divide between soul trails riders and trick jumpers, it's not as defined any more since everyone has gotten better--the trick guys are smoother and the trails guys have more tricks... that's my impression anyway. still though, you'll see it as a debate....someone does a backflip double tailwhip and lands flatbottom and a foot falls off... someone else does a super inverted tabletop really high and lands clean. which is better? who know? who cares?... etc. etc.
Agreed. IMO, trails involves no pedaling out side of the initial run in...its all about continuous flow. Two jumps back to back is not trails, never will be. That would be a 4 pack. I would think you would have to have at least 3 jumps before you begin to call the place an actual trail, but more like 5-6 doubles minimum. Thats not to say a work in progress with one, two, or three etc., jumps cannot be named _____ trails or whatever.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
to be considered a set of "trails" the spot has to have a minimum of 5 berms. Atleast that's how I've always known it and seems like a good rule of thumb. Right now I have 8 berms in my yard,

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
we got some sick trails where I live and the guys who built them will actually fight you if you destroy something and don't fix it. Plus if bmx racers show up you might want to look away. They don't like the racers.

Rules of our trails

1. don't tell anyone about them. (find em on your own.)

2. You mess it up you fix it.

3. there is a trash can. use it.

4. if everyone else is working you work too.

5. if you can't make the first one don't try anymore

6. You must blind fold new people you bring until they can be trusted
(the entire ride there and the walk back.)

7. Work on what is there. Don't build new stuff.

8. No drugs at all. (we aren't taking the fall for your dumb ass)

9. Put the tools back where they belong.

10. you move a carpet or a tarp so you can ride, put it back when you are done.

11. DO NOT EVER TAKE PICS OR VIDEO OF THE TRIP THERE OR THE WALK BACK TO THEM. ONCE YOU ARE THERE GO AHEAD. BUT NO PICS OF THE WAY OUT ETHER.

Easy to remember.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
If you see someone digging, don't ride up to him and ask "when will this be done?" What you're really saying with that question is "Hey, this looks like something I want to ride, but I don't respect you enough to offer to help you in building it. After all, I'm a massive tool who leeches of the efforts of others while contributing nothing of my own."

You should be saying "hey, that looks like it's going to be pretty cool, how about I help you out?" The only other acceptable thing to say is "wow, that looks like it's a little out of my league, I'm not quite good enough to ride stuff like that."

Other things not to say in this situation:
-"cool, I'll totally help you build sometime!" followed by turning around and continuing to bike
-"I can't wait for this to be done"
-"Can I ride the jumps beofre this one and just stop before I hit you?"
-"I would help, but I don't have a shovel" You have a $450 bike and you can't afford a $7 shovel? please

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Pretty much all of it, with the exception of keeping them secret...
Help out if you can, ask if there are 'work days' if you want to dig, always clean up after yourself, treat the trails and people at them with respect.

Jan 14, 2013
i can dig it.!! i am building trails and some kids just rolled over some of the work i have been doing and i was hella pissed.