Quantcast

The dixie twits will never have anything

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
They did an article on them in this weeks' Time, while I didn't read the whole article there was a side bar with bands that have recently been outspoken about the war (Green Day, Pearl Jam for example).......none of the bands mentioned had the backlash that the chicks had.

I'd be very surprised if the average country music fan was narrow minded and intolerant of any other view than their own :rolleyes:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Andyman_1970 said:
They did an article on them in this weeks' Time, while I didn't read the whole article there was a side bar with bands that have recently been outspoken about the war (Green Day, Pearl Jam for example).......none of the bands mentioned had the backlash that the chicks had.

I'd be very surprised if the average country music fan was narrow minded and intolerant of any other view than their own :rolleyes:
Yeah....that'd blow my mind too....:rofl:

Wait...That would be funny if it wasn't....true...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hank Williams' III most recent album, Straight to Hell, received a well deserved Parent Advisory label. I was shocked to hear this is the first major label country album to receive one.

Obviously, the average country fan does not want to hear swearing, and you extrapolate that they also do not want to hear anything controversial either.

P.S. Hank3's album is great.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think it has more to do with them being chicks. No one wants to hear them talk about politics,unless its world hunger, in which case they should just get back to cooking.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BurlyShirley said:
I think it has more to do with them being chicks. No one wants to hear them talk about politics,unless its world hunger, in which case they should just get back to cooking.
Tequila makes their clothes fall off?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did youtube not have the video of "This Ain't No Picnic"? i saw that at the Museum of Fine Arts about 15 years ago. great usage of reagan flim clips.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BurlyShirley said:

Very true.

Plus it's the freakin DIXIE chicks. Audience of rednecks who feel like they're going to catch the commie if their ears hear anything other than "america, fvck yeah!"

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it's not so much what she said.

it's the chicken s... way she went about saying it.
she knew darn good and well that if her fat @$$ had spewed that statement here in the south where her main fan base is(was), she'd have started a riot.
as it is, radio stations dropped them like a hot potato.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
did youtube not have the video of "This Ain't No Picnic"? i saw that at the Museum of Fine Arts about 15 years ago. great usage of reagan flim clips.
Nope. I was hoping they would.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dante said:
yeah, how dare they express the same concerns about our administration that 65% of the rest of the population have... :mumble:

(going to the PD in 5...4...3...2...)
It has more to do with the fact I don't think they have all that much talent.

And I thought about posting this in the PD forum to begin with.

EDIT: I got negative rep over this thread.....some of you guys need to douche more often....hahahaha

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i gotta negative rep. for this too.

to whoever it was, i do get it.
they have every right to voice their opinion. they just chose an extremely c.s. way to do it.
and are still whining about getting flack for it.(i'm not a country music fan by any means, but i went out and bought a toby keith c.d. just because.)

i guess it's ok for them to say something, but we shouldn't dare respond to it ?

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
What bugs me about that situation is the same thing that pissed me off the time I went to see Nancy Griffith at the House of Blues- she spent 10 minutes ragging on Bush. They are entitled to an opinion, but I'd bet most if not all people go to a concert to hear MUSIC, not a political speech. Chrissy Hynde (Pretenders) went nuts at one show about people who eat meat (apparently she's a veggie).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dhbuilder said:
it's not so much what she said.

she knew darn good and well that if her fat @$$ had spewed that statement here in the south where her main fan base is(was), she'd have started a riot.
as it is, radio stations dropped them like a hot potato.
I certainly agree with the message, but I am not surprised about the response from the C & W fans.

I should point out the career of Hank Williams III, the son of Hank Jr, the grandson of Hank Sr.

He started in punk rock bands, then created his "hellbilly" sound, but I think it is roots country with some very obscene but topical lyrics.

Hank3 signed with Curb Records (Tim McGraw's label), but because he was unwilling to compromise, Curb released only one album (which was pretty tame) until they finally came to an agreement.

If you want to be a pop star, even a country pop star, bully for you. But pop fans are not exactly the most political. Or you could choose the non-pop way, with no radio, touring in a bus not a plane, and playing for 2,000 fans, not 25,000.

Do you think Sonic Youth would have been as controversial if they made the same statements?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
all i wanna do is hear em sing.
or see em act out a role in a movie.
nothing more.
they wouldn't sit for two seconds to hear my political views.
i won't give em that long to hear theirs.

edit. to put your words and views in a song or in the role you play is acceptable. and has been going on forever.
but to stand there and spew, no matter who you are or what your viewpoint is, to me is wrong.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
dhbuilder said:
Can you translate that from white trash to English please?

The article in Time is great. Eminem, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen all make songs, videos, or whole albums that are WAY more harsh on bush than the Chicks were, and people love them for it.

What is the difference with the Dixie Chicks? Is it that they are women or that their audience are ignorant, intolerant rednecks? Some of both I think.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BeerDemon said:

The article in Time is great. Eminem, Green Day, Bruce Springsteen all make songs, videos, or whole albums that are WAY more harsh on bush than the Chicks were, and people love them for it.

What is the difference with the Dixie Chicks? Is it that they are women or that their audience are ignorant, intolerant rednecks? Some of both I think.
she went out of the country to say it.
she didn't have the cajones to say it in the venues where her fanbase was the strongest. i already stated that in an earlier post.

you don't need to throw out the label "white trash." it'd be too easy to go back through the archives of yours or anyone else's posts and find something said that could be "labeled."

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
dhbuilder said:
she went out of the country to say it.
she didn't have the cajones to say it in the venues where her fanbase was the strongest. i already stated that in an earlier post.
So they left the country with the intention of making an anti-war statement at a concert? Wow, that's quite a plan.

Of course, we could apply political and social context to the situation and conclude that they said what they did, where they did, because of all the anti-American sentiment in Europe because of our actions abroad.

But that would be a thoughtful analysis which country fans aren't into.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BeerDemon said:

Without too much research, I bet from Madonna to Melissa Etheridge have probably made political statements during the shows, but obviously to a receptive audience.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
dhbuilder said:
you don't need to throw out the label "white trash." it'd be too easy to go back through the archives of yours or anyone else's posts and find something said that could be "labeled."
You are correct. I should be able to have an adult conversation about politics without dishing out insults to other individuals in the conversation. Sorry about that.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
sanjuro said:
Without too much research, I bet from Madonna to Melissa Etheridge have probably made political statements during the shows, but obviously to a receptive audience.
I think the context of the Time article was pointing out those bands that had number one albums AND made anti-war statements about the current conflict in Iraq. You are correct though, many bands have protested.

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
Hank Williams' III most recent album, Straight to Hell, received a well deserved Parent Advisory label. I was shocked to hear this is the first major label country album to receive one.

Obviously, the average country fan does not want to hear swearing, and you extrapolate that they also do not want to hear anything controversial either.

P.S. Hank3's album is great.
There are lots of local TX guys that should get one. I don't have the latest, but should get it. The rest have been great. Awesome shows he does.

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
I certainly agree with the message, but I am not surprised about the response from the C & W fans.

I should point out the career of Hank Williams III, the son of Hank Jr, the grandson of Hank Sr.

He started in punk rock bands, then created his "hellbilly" sound, but I think it is roots country with some very obscene but topical lyrics.

Hank3 signed with Curb Records (Tim McGraw's label), but because he was unwilling to compromise, Curb released only one album (which was pretty tame) until they finally came to an agreement.

If you want to be a pop star, even a country pop star, bully for you. But pop fans are not exactly the most political. Or you could choose the non-pop way, with no radio, touring in a bus not a plane, and playing for 2,000 fans, not 25,000.

Do you think Sonic Youth would have been as controversial if they made the same statements?
As Houston Marchman said -

"it's about money, boy, money in the bank. Country ain't into no existential angst. Write for your cash, not for your soul. Right then I knew, I's bound to roll outta Nashville. Vietnashville."