Quantcast

The "Does anyone understand what the heck Obama is saying in a speech" Thread

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
that's both his biggest strength, & his biggest weakness. but he delivers sweet nothings with a silver tongue. the only time he's specific about anything is when he reminds us that (1): george bush isn't on the ballot, and (beta): he & dick cheney are cousins, and that dick is the black sheep.

someone should u2b that compilation.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
that's both his biggest strength, & his biggest weakness. but he delivers sweet nothings with a silver tongue. the only time he's specific about anything is when he reminds us that (1): george bush isn't on the ballot, and (beta): he & dick cheney are cousins, and that dick is the black sheep.

someone should u2b that compilation.
What's his alternative, do a Howard Dean?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i just choked him down, and topics invoked included:

- katrina
- rove
- compassionate conservatism
- mission accomplished
- more bush
- torture
- swift boating

essentially, he's trying to convince the attendees that he's bringing change, when in fact it's the bloody calendar. not that anyone else wasn't spooling out vague sloganeering.

around 14:10, he says he'll "have the troops home in 16 months", and "end the fight with al-qaeda". thought that was worth noting

my favorite mantras include:
"our moment is now!"
"i want to be president of the united states of america"

watching politicians stump at a rally has the opposite effect on me. it's really silly to see any politician as a savior.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When he was talking last night, he brought up a very cool program.

A student could earn up to $4k a year in college savings through community service.

That has to be one of the best ideas I've heard yet. My daughter and I go on trash pickups at the park and she is looking forward to working with SOLV this summer. The idea that she could earn money for school while doing that would be awesome.

Sure beats "No Child Left Behind".

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
N 8 thread weekly running thread count:
Threads on Democratic candidates - roughly 6
Threads on Republican candidates - roughly zero

I can't be bothered to check the numbers, but you get the idea...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
N 8 thread weekly running thread count:
Threads on Democratic candidates - roughly 6
Threads on Republican candidates - roughly zero

I can't be bothered to check the numbers, but you get the idea...
It keeps him from crying himself to sleep at night. He knows no matter who wins this time around, he is still a loser.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
When I hear him speak, I can only picture....

Can you smeeeeelllllllll what Obama's got cookin?????

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
When I hear him speak, I can only picture....

Can you smeeeeelllllllll what Obama's got cookin?????
Haha, awesome.

I still think obama is a good public speaker (at least he sounds good)

Hillary's faux enthusiasm or whatever she is doing totally creeps me out.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
"...didn't face any consequences".
Dude. She had to **** George at least twice and then had to raise Jenna. She's had to stay in Bumble**** Texas, spending the last 12 or so years of her life with a broomstick up her ass and a smile on her face, acting like a wholesome, born-again, schoolmarm. You know how hard that must be for the party-girl that thought she married a rich cokehead?

No consequences, my ass.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Dude. She had to **** George at least twice and then had to raise Jenna. She's had to stay in Bumble**** Texas, spending the last 12 or so years of her life with a broomstick up her ass and a smile on her face, acting like a wholesome, born-again, schoolmarm. You know how hard that must be for the party-girl that thought she married a rich cokehead?

No consequences, my ass.
don't forget "clearing brush". it's all about keeping straw out the lady's mouth.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
charles krauthammer in nat'l review
There’s no better path to success than getting people to buy a free commodity. Like the genius who figured out how to get people to pay for water: Bottle it (Aquafina was revealed to be nothing more than reprocessed tap water) and charge more than they pay for gasoline. Or consider how Google found a way to sell dictionary nouns — boat, shoe, clock — by charging advertisers zillions to be listed whenever the word is searched.

And now, in the most amazing trick of all, a silver-tongued freshman senator has found a way to sell hope. To get it, you need only give him your vote. Barack Obama is getting millions.

This kind of sale is hardly new. Organized religion has been offering a similar commodity — salvation — for millennia. Which is why the Obama campaign has the feel of a religious revival with, as writer James Wolcott observed, a “salvational fervor” and “idealistic zeal divorced from any particular policy or cause and chariot-driven by pure euphoria.”

“We are the hope of the future,” sayeth Obama. We can “remake this world as it should be.” Believe in me and I shall redeem not just you but your country — nay, we can become “a hymn that will heal this nation, repair this world, and make this time different than all the rest.”

And believe they do.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
He seems to be running a clever campaign to me. When the incumbent is as unpopular as the present one is then running with scissors in your hand would seem to be a silly thing to do.
BTW I haven't seen any polls that put Obama and MaCain head to head, assuming they both win the nomination. Any figures out there?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
belated happy v-day from obama:
Yup, he should be going around saying that we shouldn't engage in nation building and have a humble foreign policy. Combine that with some speeches talking about smaller government, being a uniter and not a divider, and bringing honor and integrity to the white house. *That* is how you talk a lot without saying anything... :clapping:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Whoa... is Obama really a hawk? Is he actaully saying he would attack targets inside Pakistan???

interesting...

ObamaRamaDingDong said:
“Let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains, that murdered 3,000 Americans. If we have actionable intelligence about high-valued terrorist targets and President Musharraf will not act, we will