Quantcast

the draft maybe comming back for 2005

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
A little bit of information for the Commie, Pinko, Hippies on the board.

http://www.sss.gov/FSconsobj.htm
WHO QUALIFIES?
Beliefs which qualify a registrant for CO status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical; however, a man's reasons for not wanting to participate in a war must not be based on politics, expediency, or self-interest. In general, the man's lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims.

Well that leaves you guys out.....:D

ALTERNATIVE SERVICE
Conscientious Objectors opposed to serving in the military will be placed in the Selective Service Alternative Service Program. This program attempts to match COs with local employers. Many types of jobs are available, however the job must be deemed to make a meaningful contribution to the maintenance of the national health, safety, and interest. Examples of Alternative Service are jobs in:

conservation

caring for the very young or very old

education

health care

Length of service in the program will equal the amount of time a man would have served in the military, usually 24 months.

they still get you for 2 years but you are at a desk.

That is IF they accept your plea at all.....

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by TN
dude.
that takes all the fun out of fleeing to canadia & smoking their dank weed & riding their sweet mountains.
:monkey:
I totally see your point, I was just pointing out the facts.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
From the info I've read, talk of a draft is real. We are going to be facing troop shortages in most of the branchs and our troop commitments are ridiculous. We are spread thin not only in Iraq and Afganistan, but the DM zone in Korea, and a few other little trouble spots around the world.

I'm just glad I'll be too old if they decide to draft. I think they start at 20yrs old and work down. We are not engaged in any causes that I think are worth killing or being killed for. Bush and his New World Order can kiss my ass.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by stuntmatty
From the info I've read, talk of a draft is real. We are going to be facing troop shortages in most of the branchs and our troop commitments are ridiculous. We are spread thin not only in Iraq and Afganistan, but the DM zone in Korea, and a few other little trouble spots around the world.

I'm just glad I'll be too old if they decide to draft. I think they start at 20yrs old and work down. We are not engaged in any causes that I think are worth killing or being killed for. Bush and his New World Order can kiss my ass.

werd!!:thumb:

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
From what I was reading they were trying to up the age limit to 34 also.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by stoney98
the only reason I'm not too worried is that I'm too hurt (read crippled) to be drafted. between my head injuries, back and shoulder and the fact I'm constasntly on meds, excludes me. I do however feel that we need a real governing body that does as our populus feels we should do.
That wouldn't of kept you out of Vietnam. My fathers college buddy went thru training camp with my dad and the buddy had some problems with his ankles/feet (club feet?)

Anyway they wouldn't excuse him or allow him to be a CO so they ran him into the ground....he marched so much that his ankles turned in and he couldn't stand unless it was on his ankles. They had him in a military hospital and wanted him to sign a form releasing the army of all medical responsibility for his condition and a disshonorable disharge or something (no benefits).....:rolleyes:

He gave them a big FU and refused to sign holding them responsible for his legs.....they finally fixed it. I forget, I think he got a desk job after that.

Point is....if you are breathing you are fighting. If your body fails along the way they will sort that out later.

Rhino

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
No way I'm putting my life on the line to benefit corporate America and the rich elite.

"War is about young men dying, and old men talking".

When the enemy is landing on our shores, then I'll sign up.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
All us strong, lean, fit mountain bikers under the age of 35 are focked. :rolleyes:
Let's have some fun with this idea. Can anyone think of some great ways to avoid the draft? I might fake a suicide attempt. There's no way the powers that be put a gun in a mentally unstable persons hands. That's the best I can come up with.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Honestly,

There's nothing I hate more than when people try to "glorify" military service. Saying that everyone is a "hero" and this and that. To me, its a job...plain and simple. I signed up for it, and if the voters elect a man who says "go kill people in iraq" I will do it because that's my job. Not because I love to kill or even because I beleive in the cause. Right now, I mostly sit at a desk and handle media queries about troops we have stationed in Iraq, or I write articles about happenings in the military. Im not a hero. Im just a guy who values the worth of his signature.

When I read stuff like this about the draft, and all you guys saying you'd go to canada and stuff, it makes me feel pretty sick. The US has given you all tons of stuff. Money if you dont have a job, a local police force (whether you appreciate or not, its better than not having one) schools for your kids and roads to drive on among other things. All it usually asks back is that you pay your taxes and follow the laws of the land. When the big US govt. needs something back for real though, all it gets is "Im going to canada"

Well you know what? **** you. Go to canada and dont come back.

If you dont like Bush, vote him out! Dont turn your back on the country that gave you your way of life. Thats disgusting. Bush alone did not decide to go to Iraq a large party of ELECTED officials made the decision and its your DUTY as an american who signed with the selective service to do what it asks.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Let's have some fun with this idea. Can anyone think of some great ways to avoid the draft? I might fake a suicide attempt. There's no way the powers that be put a gun in a mentally unstable persons hands. That's the best I can come up with.

first gun they handed me, I would shoot myself in the ass cheek

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by stoney98
Vietnam was a different war. I am fully a liability at this point. I'm on medication that maintains my current state. If I am off drugs for 8 hours I begin to have issues moving. Within 24hours, I am non-functional. That combined with my head injuries mostly, would put me into the not wanted group. One mildy hard hit to the head and I relapse HARD CORE into concusion mode. I've talked with people in military, i most likely wouldn't make it through screening, that and I cannot run, I tried to run a mile a few months back and was semi-imobile for 3 days.

Worst case, my mom is British, I can disappear into England.
I wouldn't think you have a "Get out of the Draft Free" card just yet. War is war and if they need men.....you are as abled as anyone. You will need to be in the hospital before they accept you are a problem. You might jsut need to spend a week in basic training.

The Draft is also different beast than selective service. If you can't do it.....by the end of basic training you will or be in the hospital. ;)

I wouldn't tell them you race MTB's.......lol :D No sargent yousee I can't do anything (picture of you busting big on a MTB in your head) :D

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Well, Snopes.com gives it a "probably not." :D

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/draft.asp
But it is still a possibility....as well as including women.

Last statement from Snopes page:
"There is as yet no definitive answer to the question of whether or not the U.S. will reinstitute a draft. Obviously some thought has been given to the issue, but the possibility that such thoughts will be turned into reality appears rather small at this point. Still, conditions and attitudes can change very quickly — another event of the magnitude of the September 11 attacks could prompt some rapid shifts in government policy and public opinion. "

I definitely agree that if another Sept 11 attack occurs we'd find some major shifts in political agendas.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I can think of a lot of fun ways to dodge the draft, however if the day came when my number came up, I would do my duty and serve. No one said I had to enjoy it though.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
You kidding?

They want a guy like you.........point you towards an enemy bunker and say "go for it tiger!" You want to commit suicide have at it. ;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't feel like blowing out my eardrums in a self inflicted shotgun blast, so I'd just have my daddy pull some strings and get me into the Air National Guard...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I can think of a lot of fun ways to dodge the draft, however if the day came when my number came up, I would do my duty and serve. No one said I had to enjoy it though.
thanks IAB.

Its good to know someone here has a level head. If Ralph Nader were president, Id still report.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
You kidding?

They want a guy like you.........point you towards an enemy bunker and say "go for it tiger!" You want to commit suicide have at it. ;)

Hahahaha....ok but only if I am allow to mount a machine gun to my handlebars and "drop" in. Now that'd be going out in a blaze of glory. :rolleyes: :p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Silver
I don't feel like blowing out my eardrums in a self inflicted shotgun blast, so I'd just have my daddy pull some strings and get me into the Air National Guard...
I was waiting for that! :D

Kerry didn't do much better....Oh oh sir I need to report to the hospital. Why? asks the commander. I got a sliver, said Kerry. Well OK....

3 trys later Kerry gets to go home with the honor of serving our country....:rolleyes:

Looks like we have 2 wussy's running for office. ;)

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
If you've already served (like myself) could they still draft you? Not that I have a problem with it, just wondering.

If they absolutely needed people, I'd volunteer.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
I was waiting for that! :D

Kerry didn't do much better....Oh oh sir I need to report to the hospital. Why? asks the commander. I got a sliver, said Kerry. Well OK....

3 trys later Kerry gets to go home with the honor of serving our country....:rolleyes:

Looks like we have 2 wussy's running for office. ;)
At least he didn't wander over to Korea and screw around for a year right in the middle of his service...

Say what you will, Kerry went, and Bush made sure that Castro didn't invade Houston. It's very interesting that most of the warmongers currently in power managed to be busy last time there was a draft...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Freak
If you've already served (like myself) could they still draft you? Not that I have a problem with it, just wondering.

If they absolutely needed people, I'd volunteer.
From what I have read, veterans are only exempt if the draft occurs during peace time. But why the hell would they need a draft during peace time? :confused:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by BurlySurly

Well you know what? **** you. Go to canada and dont come back.
I agree. I was in the last one, I may end up in this one, but that's a chance I take for joining. I also agree with Freak in that every red blooded American male (and female if they can) should do 2 years of service. Maybe not fighting in a war, but everyone has something to offer and everyone has something to learn.

I bring a lot of IT experience to the Army and they value that. I also learn a lot about being strong in both body, and mind. I, for one, don't like Bush. Didn't vote for him the first time and I sure as hell won't vote for him this time either. But I will do what they ask because they do what I ask too (like pay for my schools and hardware).

There won't be a draft, but I can bet there are going to be HUGE troop shortages from here on out for quite a while. A good friend of mine is a recruiter and the number of guys getting out and the lack of new guys coming in is scary.

stuntmatty

Thnikkaman
Oct 2, 2003
Bike Hater Central
I love my country. I would defend it if needed.

Without just cause or reason, without moral or legal justification, and without a thread of proof that Iraq threatened the United States I will not fight. From what I've seen Bush is waging a Holy War.

I am a human being first, and an American second. All this jive about being a good citizen is just nonsense to me.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I'll defend this country. As in, it's people. Hell, I'll use a machete if I have to.

I won't defend Haliburton's stock, or any other corporate business venture.

If getting drafted means killing for oil, F**K THAT. The US needs to get out of the mid-east and find some alternatives right here.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

I am a human being first, and an American second. All this jive about being a good citizen is just nonsense to me.
If it is nonsence to you, than correct, you are not a good citizen. How can you say that and at the same time say "i love my country?"

That makes no sense.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20
I'll defend this country. As in, it's people. Hell, I'll use a machete if I have to.

I won't defend Haliburton's stock, or any other corporate business venture.

If getting drafted means killing for oil, F**K THAT. The US needs to get out of the mid-east and find some alternatives right here.
:rolleyes:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Silver
Say what you will, Kerry went, and Bush made sure that Castro didn't invade Houston. It's very interesting that most of the warmongers currently in power managed to be busy last time there was a draft...
Kerry didn't do much better....and please the "wounds" he had would have not kept a grunt out of the jungle very long and never sent him home. If you think Kerry didn't have strings pulled to get him out, I pitty you.

Kerry enlisted and picked a job that will keep him out of the main action. That was smart, but not unlike Bush's choice. But make Kerry a war hero if you want....:rolleyes: