Quantcast

The Dremel Thread

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Post pics of your dremels. Edit: ...And what you do with your dremel

Here is mine:

The small attachement is really nice. I use my dremel a lot to cut notches in screws (then used a flat screw driver to get them out) when they are stripped. My odi collar screws stripped. I ended up cutting part of the grips, the collar, and a little grind on my lever body. It was good I had extra screws. I hate slipping grips.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
I have about every dremel attachment and piece available...just too lazy to take a pic of it all for this thread...I mostly use mine for sanding old furniture pieces and restaining, painting, or vinegar painting them...but have found it to come in handy for many other uses...

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
chicodude said:
You wanna go ride some GNAR dh?

I don't have a bike for the nut yet.
see loco's thread...or read here...the trails are still closed...and we're getting in trouble for hitting them when they're closed...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
goodtobeIrie said:
see loco's thread...or read here...the trails are still closed...and we're getting in trouble for hitting them when they're closed...

Wasn't kidwoo supposed to be rolling over here today?

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
chicodude said:
Wasn't kidwoo supposed to be rolling over here today?
doubt it...I never heard anything...but I am known not to pay attention...

well, I heard something...but not that he was actually gonna come and play...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Posting your dremel tool?? Kind of weak to me. Now posting your dremel tool work. Now thats cool. I am always amazed at what I can do with my dremel tool. I have a jig I built to vise mount mine. Incredibly useful tool.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
ThePriceSeliger said:
If you don't, I will tell everyone our little secret about than place that has those things for that cost that we fell in love with. Post your damn Dremel or I'll do it.
Bahstid.

I don't have a dremel.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
jdcamb said:
I am always amazed at what I can do with my dremel tool. I have a jig I built to vise mount mine. Incredibly useful tool.
they're even what they use to file down the acrylic...when girls get fake nails put on...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Dremels Are Week I Got A 50 Gallon Air Compressor And A Die Grinder, But When Something Is Realy Stuck The 4.5", 9" And Gas Powered Angle Grinders Come Out, Then If All Else Fails The Oxy Cutting Torch Or Plasma Cutter Come Out.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
jdcamb said:
Posting your dremel tool?? Kind of weak to me. Now posting your dremel tool work. Now thats cool. I am always amazed at what I can do with my dremel tool. I have a jig I built to vise mount mine. Incredibly useful tool.
It's a power tool. What's not to love?

My Dremel is camera shy. But it's old and variable speed and all that.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Ciaran said:
It's a power tool. What's not to love?

My Dremel is camera shy. But it's old and variable speed and all that.
At least find a picture on the web of your model. There should be a dremel cult. :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
When I moved to my new apartment last summer, Rob and I wanted to do something nice after a day of unpacking and planned to cook a nice dinner. Everything was going well, until we discovered that the can openers was in the one box we left behind. I look and Rob has disappeared to his toolbox, returning with a dremel and starts going at the top of the can. It was a great electric can opener and a wonderful dinner :thumb:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
bluebug32 said:
When I moved to my new apartment last summer, Rob and I wanted to do something nice after a day of unpacking and planned to cook a nice dinner. Everything was going well, until we discovered that the can openers was in the one box we left behind. I look and Rob has disappeared to his toolbox, returning with a dremel and starts going at the top of the can. It was a great electric can opener and a wonderful dinner :thumb:
No metal bits in the food? Talk about roughage.... :dead:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
sleepinggiant said:
Do you strip things a lot? If so, you may want to invest in a torque wrench as well.
I don't strip things too often. I just stripped my odi screws the other day. I shouldn't have put "a lot" there.
I do need a torque wrench. Do the cheap ones work well w/o falling apart, or should I invest in a good one?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
chuck norris does not need a dremel tool. he just stares at objects long enough until they dremel themselves in fear.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
MtnbikeMike said:
No metal bits in the food? Talk about roughage.... :dead:
Good fiber. :thumb: :dead:

I use my dremel to work on the Mustang and to notch those allen bolts that I strip because I am a retard.

Chuck Norris can make a dremel out of a lightbulb and weld metal with his butt-cheeks.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
I yeah i have Dremels, foredomes with flex cables, big and small grinders but my favorite is this little dental unit...

the motor is inside the handle but is so nimble you can be really precise,, the maximum RPM i think is about 45.000, no compressor and for sure a lot less noise.

The change the cutters you just twist the handle and the collet becomes losee, no tools to find, exelent.

you can run it by ussing the florr pedal (blue box on the very right) or by setting the speed you want at the console, from very low and torquie to super fast.

just look at the contanier the cutters come in,,,
in my opiion this thing is the "Chris King" of the high speed handheld tools.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
patineto said:
my favorite is this little dental unit...
I make hearing aids and use the same thing. A lot nicer than a dremmel. I'm guessing they are pretty expensive just because they last so much longer. Dremmels don't last long at all when used 8 hours a day.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
I don't strip things too often. I just stripped my odi screws the other day. I shouldn't have put "a lot" there.
I do need a torque wrench. Do the cheap ones work well w/o falling apart, or should I invest in a good one?
I've messed up the screwes on the clamps as well. Sucks getting them out.

When it comes to tools you should ALWAYS get the best you can afford.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
patineto said:
in my opiion this thing is the "Chris King" of the high speed handheld tools.
WOW i Want one!

I wonder how much a dentist machine like that would cost?

I buy a new dremet almost every year...they just dont last...

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
The cordless ones are an awesome tool to have if your headin to the mountain. I've used em to grind down custom bolts or remove broken ones. They also work great for when your out sawin down trees and need to sharpen up the chain a bit. Bits that say carbide are your friend.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
D_D said:
I make hearing aids and use the same thing. A lot nicer than a dremmel. I'm guessing they are pretty expensive just because they last so much longer. Dremmels don't last long at all when used 8 hours a day.
For the price a dremmel can not be beat,, they are awesome for house hold shores and small projects, i still have 3 of them with diferent tips so i don't need to be wasting time chainging them, but for sure they are not made to last forever like the dental tool, that thing exudes quality all over the place..

to me good tools are all about the pleasure of working with something than is perfect not because the bling or the status that they provide (I can not care less for redneck social rituals) actually if you want to see great hand tools take a look at Festool by far the best design and manufacture power tools i ever have the pleasure to put my hands on...

i'm still saving to start my collection, they are super expensive but in the long run (as ussual) they end up being a better deal since they last much longer and the works gets done in a more accurate way..

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Ciaran said:
I've messed up the screwes on the clamps as well. Sucks getting them out.

When it comes to tools you should ALWAYS get the best you can afford.
Most of tools are chraftsman, some stanley, and some ace hardware brand. Does chraftsman make torque wrenches or what are some good ones? I will check ebay.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
Most of tools are chraftsman, some stanley, and some ace hardware brand. Does chraftsman make torque wrenches or what are some good ones? I will check ebay.
CRAFTSMAN (no H)

Yes they make good ones. I'm sure other folks here can chime in with torque wrench recomendations as well.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Ameteur helped me with torque wrenches. I'm going to get a Craftsman 3/8" in-lb torque wrench and 3/8" drive sockets. I will probably got to one of those 6:30 am Sears sales.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
join the Craftsman club and get 10% off.

--edit--

oh, and since this thread is about Dremels, Sears has a Craftsman labeled hand rotary tool. i put my money on it being a relabeled Dremel.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
The Amish said:
The cordless ones are an awesome tool to have if your headin to the mountain. I've used em to grind down custom bolts or remove broken ones. They also work great for when your out sawin down trees and need to sharpen up the chain a bit. Bits that say carbide are your friend.
my battery dies quickly. kind of disappointed, actually. luckily, my dad got me a cheapo corded wannabe Dremel for household duties.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
the Inbred said:
snip snip...
Sears has a Craftsman labeled hand rotary tool. i put my money on it being a relabeled Dremel.
Nope they are not made by Dremmel and for sure they are not as good, i work with a few over the years and they are not even close in quality or feel

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
yea they do crap the bed kinda quick, but they'll get you out of atleast one jam in a pinch which can prove invaluable when you findyourself 500 miles from anywhere and only have the tools in your box to save you