Quantcast

The Dremel Thread

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
My most recent Dremel project. Not the right tool for the job, but with a router bit, everything worked out okay. Project inspired by weak forearms and my feeling that $90 for a Metolious Wood climbing board was WAY too much. Maybe not as nice as the real version, but I like it. I made a paste of Gorilla Glue and fine-grit play sand to coat the inside of the finger grips for a rock-like feel. Rubbed the sand down with a wire "toothbrush" to get loose stuff out, and now it's solid. The next project is homemade climbing holds.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
sam_little said:
My most recent Dremel project. Not the right tool for the job, but with a router bit, everything worked out okay. Project inspired by weak forearms and my feeling that $90 for a Metolious Wood climbing board was WAY too much. Maybe not as nice as the real version, but I like it. I made a paste of Gorilla Glue and fine-grit play sand to coat the inside of the finger grips for a rock-like feel. Rubbed the sand down with a wire "toothbrush" to get loose stuff out, and now it's solid. The next project is homemade climbing holds.

good job sam You go at it...!!!

maybe this will help for the next few project, the fiber glass suppliers sell a compount call micro ballons that is basically very small "ball bearing"
of glass in the "Micro" form they don't really provide grip or texture but works wonders as a filling agent and some how a reinforcement, the good shops also sell bigger versions of the same concept that I use before to make "grip tape" surface on old windsurf boards after i repair them , actually a even cheaper solution develope by the helicopter mecanics in vietnam is to use polister resin and then trow sand and crush glass to increase grip on the skiffs and floor surfaces of the "cargo" compartment, actually this same technic was use to make skateboard griptape (somebody even sold it as a kit in the early days) and works amazing plus you can make it translucents and crush the glass and thick or thin as you like, keep in mind your hands may suffer more than your tennis shoes, but for sure is a trick to keep in mind.

also if you want to make negative "CRaters" you can use plain white sugar and then wash it with water, the sugar will disolve leaving just the porrus surface.

keep us posted, actually i will sugest you another project, to make a "Altar" since after all this work you little tool is going to end up at "Dremmel heaven" for sure.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
foredom flexible shaft. usually for carving wood and metal work. I have also used it to cut slots in the mounting screws on my worn out spd cleats so I could use a slotted screwdriver on them.

I have even used it for grinding the toenails on my dog (in the winter when she cant grind them down as well herself) I thought it was weird when my dogs breeder told me to, but tried and it works better than clipping them.

Attachments

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
which Dremel bit would i use to cut through the handle of a 1/4" Craftsman ratchet? i guess this sound kind of retarded, but humor me. i want to cut down this little ratchet so it's easier to pack.