Quantcast

The dumb **** I pull sometimes...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
yesterday i installed a door I bought awhile ago on the master bedroom. All went smoothly, looked good etc.

Today I got to Lowes to buy another for the big bathroom. Get it, come home, begin installing the thing...fitting weird, barely covers the rough-in.

I bought the wrong god damned size door. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::shakefist::shakefist::shakefist::shakefist::shakefist::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

WTF is wrong with me? **** ***** ***** *** ***** ***

Well, with a good bit of caulking and shimming, it kind of looks okay up there, and maybe after primer and paint it will look fine, but it was like $65 or something. I dont know if I should tear it out, waste the money and buy a new god. God ****it!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Aids Aids Aids Aids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aidsaids Aids Aids!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Take it back and say:

"I got this door home and it looks like someone else tried to install it."

Then when you get the new door, say:

"I think I'll go with something bigger/smaller this time."

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Take it back and say:

"I got this door home and it looks like someone else tried to install it."

Then when you get the new door, say:

"I think I'll go with something bigger/smaller this time."
Yeah, ahaha, all the wet caulk and and nails sticking through the thing should go over real well. Im going to have to tear the thing out piece by piece because I was on a mission to make it fit. Sometimes...I just cant help but dig myself into deeper sh*t.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Sounds like the door's fine, but rather the frame you built was off. Make sure it's all framed up properly before buying a new door.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sounds like the door's fine, but rather the frame you built was off. Make sure it's all framed up properly before buying a new door.
No. I bought the wrong size door/frame. The roughed in opening is 2 inches wider than the frame of the door I bought. But the trim covers the game "mostly" :rofl:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm not good at this stuff, help me out...

if the trim's just barely covering the gap, what's holding the door/frame in place?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm not good at this stuff, help me out...

if the trim's just barely covering the gap, what's holding the door/frame in place?
The top of the frame is good and nailed in, as it's the right height. And the trim itself, is nailed at angle to the studs. There's a gap in some places, but its solid.

Looks like s*** though.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
based on personal experience, you'll be better off replacing it with the right size. Chalk it up to a faulty tape measure

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LOL!!!

I just looked at the reciept to see how much exactly the door cost.... they didnt even charge me for it!!!!

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Jesus loves me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
This is the 2nd or 3rd time they've let me out of there with a fairly large purchase for free. That's what they get for hiring all those senior citizens to man the registers.

Although Im sure the tax breaks for hiring them probably even out the mistakes.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Finally. My chance to one up BS.

I bought a pre-hung leaded glass entry door for way more than would seen reasonable. Not wanting to eff up the installation I hired a contractor who telephoned me at work to ask if I was sure the door was for the front entry. I said yes and hung up.

I came home and found the door no longer opened from the left because I bought a right opening door. Now the storm door opens the opposite of the entry door. Not such a big deal except the entry hall is clearly designed for the original installation.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Finally. My chance to one up BS.

I bought a pre-hung leaded glass entry door for way more than would seen reasonable. Not wanting to eff up the installation I hired a contractor who telephoned me at work to ask if I was sure the door was for the front entry. I said yes and hung up.

I came home and found the door no longer opened from the left because I bought a right opening door. Now the storm door opens the opposite of the entry door. Not such a big deal except the entry hall is clearly designed for the original installation.
...I am having trouble visualizing this.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wait SM, are you saying that there's two doors and they open opposite ways right in front of one another? That's pretty funny.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
LOL!!!

I just looked at the reciept to see how much exactly the door cost.... they didnt even charge me for it!!!!

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Jesus loves me.
Exchange it using just the UPC label while blaming the salesman for loading the wrong door onto your car. If you sprinkle yourself with sawdust, put a pencil behind your ear and smell like booze they'll think you're a contractor and therefore must know what you're talking about.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well I actually look like that anyway. Even have kind of a mullet. But Im not going to try and double-steal from them. Lucky I got off easy as I did. A man's gotta have limits.