Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
In other news Sam Hill to race EWS-E in 2022
He has said in previous interviews he was considering it but was waiting till they dropped climb stages. I guess he's just gonna go it anyway.

The person that named that track is clearly to old to be allowed to name anything.
It's probably a PC name given when they legalised it/formalised it. Every track around here starts out known as something vulgar and ends up with a boring official name when it finally gets rubber stamped/approved. The Strava segments are a hilarious blend of both naming conventions.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I get the wanting to race them, but the rules seem pretty leniant for these races.

For one there is no limit on battery use and whatnot? And more points for the uphill stages, wut? At what point does it turn into a powered XC race?

Seems like a good recipe for some e-doping.

Besides the top speed rule, this is how we'll see a race by manufactures to make quicker and quicker bikes. Which will end well for shared use trails out in the real world. :)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Jacy hinted at it. Not Sam
In the Gypsy Tales podcast he said he was for it but the race format seemed a bit daft.

Watching the practice highlights for the regular EWS this morning got me wanting to change my whole fantasy team to flat pedal riders.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seems like a good recipe for some e-doping.
You don't even need to. The actual max wattage outputs, max torques and power delivery of all the popular Emtb motors vary so much you simply have to choose one of strongest motors for a distinct advantage in any climbing scenario.
Hill, Kelan etc. on their shimano motors all lost around a minute or more to the Brose and Bosch in positions 1 and 2 on the timed climbs

If by E-doping you mean derestriction, Yes that would give an obvious advantage on any flat pedal section but I'd guess race organisers will test for this. (it's not difficult to detect)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Watching the practice highlights for the regular EWS this morning got me wanting to change my whole fantasy team to flat pedal riders.
if that's what you ride, clips aren't an issue at all at Inners. ALL the fastest locals run them all year round.
(Fast locals include former DH world champs, National DH champs, World Cup DH and EWS regulars incl top 10 finishers)

FWIW I think Jack has it

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
if that's what you ride, clips aren't an issue at all at Inners. ALL the fastest locals run them all year round.
(Fast locals include former DH world champs, National DH champs, World Cup DH and EWS regulars incl top 10 finishers)

FWIW I think Jack has it
Fair. I always decide on the winning setup based on how I ride haha.

Looks like no/minimal mid stage climbs either according to the course stats.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have an idea for a new race format. E bike hill climbs, but you have to shotgun a beer and take a bong rip first, and are part of the timed format.
Take out the ebike part and that is every Wednesday for our small riding group.

Oh yeah take out the uphill part too. :busted:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
OMG did you see Graves hit not 1 tree but 2 right in a row! And Hill, rocking out his Champery mud run skills! Pretty cool footy, no matter if E or not. Digging it.
Graves looked uncharacteristically out of sorts and finished at the back of the field. Wonder what was happening.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Not enough bars on his new Yet-E? :D

Those trails look brutal. Looks like fun, even in the wet (did I just say that?) But not for racing!

Also, Bernard Kerr's vid is good. Highlights just how gnarly things are...and how fast he is. Loved the part of him being on Ritchie's ass following him off course.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not enough bars on his new Yet-E? :D

Those trails look brutal. Looks like fun, even in the wet (did I just say that?) But not for racing!

Also, Bernard Kerr's vid is good. Highlights just how gnarly things are...and how fast he is. Loved the part of him being on Ritchie's ass following him off course.

I thought the course reminded me of some shitty XC races I did in the early 2000s on a tree farm.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I thought the course reminded me of some shitty XC races I did in the early 2000s on a tree farm.
That's basically what it is but tilted by quite a few degrees in gradient.
(But Scottish XC, not US)
Don't ever belive youtube footage does gradient justice

most Scottish mtb is done on tree farms

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The banter between him and Richi on the fire road later. :rofl:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's basically what it is but tilted by quite a few degrees in gradient.
(But Scottish XC, not US)
Don't ever belive youtube footage does gradient justice

most Scottish mtb is done on tree farms
It looks horribly tight and flat in the helmet cams until he is following someone and you can see the pace and the clearance. I think the GoPro optics muppet up the perspective a bit to get the wide field of vision

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Inners definitely isn't flat. Anyone else on here other than myself and Gary ridden around there?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It looks horribly tight and flat in the helmet cams until he is following someone and you can see the pace and the clearance. I think the GoPro optics muppet up the perspective a bit to get the wide field of vision
Go Pro footage works way better on Innerleithen'derp and DH tracks if you reduce the field of view setting to less wide or linear.
Ain't nobody got time fo dat doh

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Haven’t seen the footage, not sure if Rude tried a French line, or had a brain fart of epic proportions. Congrats Jack Moir, pretty sure the tittle was his anyway but I still would have like to see just exactly how it played out. Enjoy the victory lap, and let’s hope there’s drunken Shark Attack shenanigans in the pits later.

Now, back to the ebike fight….

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Okay, watched it a couple times, and watched other riders struggle to make it between the gates. Rude took the “momentum” line and everybody else lost speed to make it between the gates. Didn’t look entirely deliberate on Rudes part, but he definitely gained an advantage in doing it. It’s also pretty obvious why those gates were there, abd the excuse of them not being taped it sorta dumb. Why are there pairs of gates down the course if you’re not supposed to go through them?

DSQ seems harsh, a time penalty would have been much more appropriate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Okay, watched it a couple times, and watched other riders struggle to make it between the gates. Rude took the “momentum” line and everybody else lost speed to make it between the gates. Didn’t look entirely deliberate on Rudes part, but he definitely gained an advantage in doing it. It’s also pretty obvious why those gates were there, abd the excuse of them not being taped it sorta dumb. Why are there pairs of gates down the course if you’re not supposed to go through them?

DSQ seems harsh, a time penalty would have been much more appropriate.
Plus if they were doing that to deliberately cheat, that was about the dumbest fuckin spot they could have picked.