Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
WTF? Did they not know they had to go thru the gates? (which is stupid anyway). Usually the rule is stay between the tape.

TweedGate gonna go down!

I assume the Yeti team manager (I forget his name) is going to have some words with some people. I know I would.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Gates inside the tape is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, why have the tape there if they aren't the boundary?
Between the Hill climbs mid stage, now the gates inside the tape? Has anyone ever watched a bike race and said to themselves, Gates on course would really take this sport up a notch! WTF

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
3:29 for Rude (with the cut) vs 3:25 for Moir. Bit anti-climatic to see the rivalry come down to a DSQ.

Also, I'm definitely a Moir fan not a Richie fan but SURELY no one is daft enough to do that deliberately and maliciously.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
From the drugs?
Yeah. Probably... Its not as if he hasn't been here practicing for over a week.
Remind me again. Is riding the trails ahead of practice/the race kosher? Isn't this a fairly common thing EWS riders do?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No idea. But for the last week inners trails were swamped with riders who are competing this weekend. They were taped last Sat/Sunday

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Gates inside the tape is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen, why have the tape there if they aren't the boundary?
Tape to keep the fans where you want them, gates to make the riders go where they’re supposed to.

It’s honestly a solid way to mark a shitty flat grass corner like that. You need the fans to stay back so when Rude misses the line he doesn’t run anybody over, and simple gates means you’re no out there re-taping everything when someone biffs the corner.

Plus if they were doing that to deliberately cheat, that was about the dumbest fuckin spot they could have picked.
Yeah, I think that should have been taken into consideration in the Marshall’s decision, a minor course cut in front of the cameras, crowd and in sight of the finish line? You really think he was trying to get away with something there? Stupid mistakes should result in time penalties, not disqualification, especially on day 1 of a 2 day final race of the season. Even if he protests it he’s fucked.

Rude also isn’t making it any better with his social media posts. Dude is turning into Gwin, immensely talented, I’m sure a nice guy in person, but his public persona is just unlikable.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
The PB comments are hilarious. Glad I don't have to deal with that here ;)

He took the fastest line.

Sometimes your brain just switches off and does what you need to do to win. Isn't that racing? No excuse, don't get me wrong, but it happens.

Even in my pathetic excuse as an amateur racer, I've made a mistake like that. But it didn't cost me any fame or fortune. Just bragging rights.

"I totally missed that corner because I was too much of an idiot to realize when they told me they were going to tape the corner like that, they actually meant it."

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wouldn't have hurt them to run tape from the outside tape to the gate on all of them but yeah oh well. I'd have personally liked it if he'd just been given a time penalty (even a massive one to effectively squash his hopes) but let him still race so we can nerd out over stage times and see what the result could have been. Now we just have to speculate wildly that Moir was gonna win anyway and the Yeti was gonna crack and fail catastrophically.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like a sweet black diamond on piste velo-shushing course. Where was Tomac with some drop bars?

Having a race going from tape to flags is epically stupid. That being said it is the job of a pro to understand the stupidity they are getting themselves into. This race was the most EWS content that I have seen. I think I will keep it that way.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wouldn't have hurt them to run tape from the outside tape to the gate on all of them but yeah oh well. I'd have personally liked it if he'd just been given a time penalty (even a massive one to effectively squash his hopes) but let him still race so we can nerd out over stage times and see what the result could have been. Now we just have to speculate wildly that Moir was gonna win anyway and the Yeti was gonna crack and fail catastrophically.
They should have put two rows of these on the outside of the gates. If your Cushcore/Stan/tubeless can take this it is an approved line. ;)

Flickr_-_The_U.S._Army_-_Spike_strip.jpg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Slowest time +10s. DFL.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Been riding the area on and off for almost 30 years. My Ebike's bars (780) measure 790mm end cap to end cap and ride with the edge of my palms overhanging ends by 10mm or so.
it's fine.
Folk have been known to cut their bars down for riding Inners. but there really isn't a single section where it's needed.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Found it interesting that Matt Stuttard's Instagram made reference to cheat lines. As a fellow racer you'd like to think that there'd be some sensitivity, tactfulness, or a tongue in cheek'ness to the situation.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You're not seriously saying you want to see more sensitivity used when calling out someone for cheating at world level in the sport?

WTF is this world becoming?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You're not seriously saying you want to see more sensitivity used when calling out someone for cheating at world level in the sport?

WTF is this world becoming?
Nope. Not what I was trying to get at, but can see how it was interpreted that way. Could have done a better job with that post. Working through a wicked head cold that the kids gave me and minimal sleep....

To clarify. It's makes you wonder when a colleague (Stuttard) is using the term 'cheat' and Hill's mechanic Jacy is posting about the gates being specifically spoken about at the rider's pre-race meeting. Both are very principled positions to take given the circumstances.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Nope. Not what I was trying to get at, but can see how it was interpreted that way. Could have done a better job with that post. Working through a wicked head cold that the kids gave me and minimal sleep....

To clarify. It's makes you wonder when a colleague (Stuttard) is using the term 'cheat' and Hill's mechanic Jacy is posting about the gates being specifically spoken about at the rider's pre-race meeting. Both are very principled positions to take given the circumstances.
The whole social media thing these days must be pretty awkward at times...some comments and posts seem quite passive aggressive.

I mean at the end of the day, they broke the rules. Shitty or not for them, it is what it is.

Hopefully everyone, the EWS and the riders, both use it as a learning experience. Maybe do it how the UCI and DH tape the course. All tape and double wide in spots to keep spectators back. Take all questions or interpretation out of the equation and either use tape or gates, not both. Or if you use gates, don't tape some and not others...

Congrats to Jack.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
It was really cool to see Evan Wall (the guy who won PB Academy) finish his first pro season strong, with a 13th place finish. And Kasper kept getting better and better too.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Good to hear it all direct from the riders. Also love Oton's post racing goals - "drink beer and smoke weed"

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Git farked he is quick.

Also doesn't seem like bad blood between the Rude and him at all. Good to see.

Short and sweet from the Misspent boys

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The PB comments are hilarious. Glad I don't have to deal with that here ;)

He took the fastest line.

Sometimes your brain just switches off and does what you need to do to win. Isn't that racing? No excuse, don't get me wrong, but it happens.

Even in my pathetic excuse as an amateur racer, I've made a mistake like that. But it didn't cost me any fame or fortune. Just bragging rights.

"I totally missed that corner because I was too much of an idiot to realize when they told me they were going to tape the corner like that, they actually meant it."
while generally varying between cringey and hilarious, in reading them i did learn that apparently on the second day of racing, the race organizers fixed the issue and taped the gates. (the pro stage on day 1 was also used for stage 6).

sorry for beating a dead horse and bringing this back up, but that really raises some questions about the decisions. if they felt the need to fix it, was the DSQ instead of a time penalty really the correct decision? conversely, if the use of the gates really made the line that obvious and it was appropriately explained to the riders, then why fix it?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
sorry for beating a dead horse and bringing this back up, but that really raises some questions about the decisions. if they felt the need to fix it, was the DSQ instead of a time penalty really the correct decision? conversely, if the use of the gates really made the line that obvious and it was appropriately explained to the riders, then why fix it?
In the WynTV post race thingy, both Wyn and Rude seem to agree that it was a mistake and worthy of a time penalty but a DSQ is stupid. Wyn reckons even a 20 minute time penalty, but let him at least race would have been the way to go.

I feel bad for the other guy that got DQ'ed - he was a privateer. Imagine travelling all the way to an event and then not be allowed to even race the whole thing, even if your time didn't count.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In the WynTV post race thingy, both Wyn and Rude seem to agree that it was a mistake and worthy of a time penalty but a DSQ is stupid. Wyn reckons even a 20 minute time penalty, but let him at least race would have been the way to go.

I feel bad for the other guy that got DQ'ed - he was a privateer. Imagine travelling all the way to an event and then not be allowed to even race the whole thing, even if your time didn't count.
yea, it was a dumb mistake and yes should have been penalized. my thoughts on that would be take the slowest finishing time for the stage and add the difference between that and the winning time, which for that stage would have put him ~2 minutes behind.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
yea, it was a dumb mistake and yes should have been penalized. my thoughts on that would be take the slowest finishing time for the stage and add the difference between that and the winning time, which for that stage would have put him ~2 minutes behind.
My thoughts are to make him drink a pint of Tennet's before each stage and race on @Gary 's bike with nothing but haggis for nutrition all day.