Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, when I saw DSQ, I assumed it was just for that stage. Not the whole freaking race!

Weaksauce.

Or, if you read the PB Comments, totally justified. Some people want to see Rude burn in hell. LOL

I'm with toodles! Make him do "rude" things :D, just don't DSQ from the entire race. Dumb.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, when I saw DSQ, I assumed it was just for that stage. Not the whole freaking race!

Weaksauce.

Or, if you read the PB Comments, totally justified. Some people want to see Rude burn in hell. LOL

I'm with toodles! Make him do "rude" things :D, just don't DSQ from the entire race. Dumb.
The fact that they're so fixated with only one of the two riders disqualified is telling.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
make him drink a pint of Tennet's before each stage and race on @Gary 's bike with nothing but haggis for nutrition all day.
Rude's bikes are pretty much the exact same size/geo as my preference (if I had a 29) but we all know 26" is banned from Enduro

Richie's contract clearly states he's only allowed to be caught cheating once each season.

PS. I drank a few tennents last night. I needed 4 pints of staropramen, 4 pints of peroni and 3 desperados first to numb my taste buds enough tho.

Oh.. And haggis IS nutriciousAF

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah.
I had an invite from Nukeproof with accomodation, meals, drinks and riding laid on. the rides were guided and beginner level. That and the weather meant I couldn't be arsed to go. I don't really like spectating and would always prefer to be out riding myself. I rode stages 1 & 2 the week before in bone dry dusty conditions on a ride with mates. (Just by luck, we didn't know they were being used). sketchier in the dry than wet.

That tree farm stage looked like some Blair Witch shit in the GoPros.
I don't know which stage you mean. Both hills used for the event are Forestry land (ie. actual tree farming land).
All the footage you've seen is steeper IRL and not as tight as the Gopro footage and taping makes it look. It's also more technical (rooty. rutty, littered etc.) and nothing is straight
We're well used to riding that sort of handbuilt stuff here hence the Brit dominance in the top 20 results.
I watched Jack's vlog last night so now know which stages were used (the EWS gave them all their own lame names). It's unbelievable he was still coming in 4th on stages after crashes, having only ridden those trails once or twice before.

This is my first ride down Stage 3 just a few weeks after the trail was open to ride but still not complete, I turn right into a much steeper old trail at around 3mins in.
You can see without the tapes in the foreground fooling your eyes, it's really not all that tight at all.
The trail is quite a bit different now, the no support boggy tight left at the entrance to the trees is now gone and successive berms take you in a lot faster and the final section (not in my vid as it was still being built) is fairly flat but fast (although tricky to hold speed on).

The EWS eeked out a lot of the trails and mixed them up with a lot of traversing and uphill to lengthen times. riding there normally you'd never do that as there are far better, steeper trails littered all over the area without ruining yourself on a stupid uphill in the middle.

This should give you an idea of the riding in the area.

inners.png

The hills used for EWS were Caberston Forest North of Innerleithen town centre, pretty much UK enduro heaven and known as "the Golfie", as it's behind innerleithen golf course and the other was Traquair forest South of the river where national DH races have been being held for 25+ years

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

Weaksauce.

if you DQ one stage, you've not completed the race, so of course you DQ the event.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
"If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP!!" :D

Would love to ride there.

I'll just leave this little nugget of SNL goodness. Remember when they were actually funny?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
It's unbelievable he was still coming in 4th on stages after crashes, having only ridden those trails once or twice before.
Its mental how quick he was going. 30 seconds back from first with 3 or more crashes. The women's field was crazy too - I think 1 or 2 seconds separated the top 5.

I just finished a local club enduro today in 35ºC temps. Last race for the year coming into our summer. Fuck i hate the heat here.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The latest Downtime podcast has Eddie Masters on, and he doesn't hold sugar coat too much the riders' opinions on the changes to the EWS this year.

I really hope when he's done racing that he becomes some kind of rider representative for DH and EWS.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
haven't gotten to it yet, what's the tl;dr?
I'm halfway through it. Says after being told that the changes were in response to "riders asking for it" he ran a couple of SurveyMonkey surveys of the top 50 riders to check and it was all bullshit as usual. More to do with making stuff for television etc.

Say both DH and EWS hardly listen to what any of the riders actually ask for basically.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm halfway through it. Says after being told that the changes were in response to "riders asking for it" he ran a couple of SurveyMonkey surveys of the top 50 riders to check and it was all bullshit as usual. More to do with making stuff for television etc.

Say both DH and EWS hardly listen to what any of the riders actually ask for basically.
i am shocked. SHOCKED i tell you.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Enduro has their work cut out for them if they are trying to improve it for television....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
looks like a good snack for between enduro stages. small and easy to carry, protein and carbs for muscle growth and energy. well done.
Not so easy to carry in a fanny pack but I hear blending muscle growth snacks into your drink bottle to share with your friends is popular.