Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
not dissimilar to scrapple.
I've no idea what scrapple is.
The filling of a scotch pie is Minced mutton.
I said "All the innards" because its not exactly the choice cuts of the sheep used in a £1 pie.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Can I just get some fish and chips? I'll bring my own tartare sauce, as I'm sure that's not a thing in HaggisBak land. :)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
No one knows what scrapple is and don't pretend otherwise.
They sell two different brands at my grocery store, in SoCal. So either a) more people know about it than you'd think or b)whoever is in charge of ordering food for the store is a moron and thought they were ordering Snapple, but got scrapple by mistake.

Sadly no haggis :( I legitimately loved haggis while visiting Gary's neighborhood, easily the second best food-stuff from Scotland.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
They sell two different brands at my grocery store, in SoCal. So either a) more people know about it than you'd think or b)whoever is in charge of ordering food for the store is a moron and thought they were ordering Snapple, but got scrapple by mistake.

Sadly no haggis :( I legitimately loved haggis while visiting Gary's neighborhood, easily the second best food-stuff from Scotland.
Was IRN-BRU the first?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Fuuuuuuuuck no. That stuff is vile.

Whisky was, is, and always will be the greatest thing to come from Scotland.
I was under the impression these two go together: first whisky, then the next morning Irn-Bru to cure the hangover??? :confused:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Can I just get some fish and chips? I'll bring my own tartare sauce, as I'm sure that's not a thing in HaggisBak land. :)
Tartare sauce is French bro. I doubt your mercan version is any better than ours which is freely available in any decent resteraunt/cafe that serves fish in Scotland.
You'll only get it in a sachet in a chip shop though. And in a chippy (chip shop) it's called a "fish supper"
In an Edinburgh chippy you'll have salt and (brown) chippy sauce.
Glasgow you'll have salt and vinegar.
It's kinda the law of the East/West split.
1_East-Coast-fish-and-chips-1.jpg

A tourist about to be thrown in the harbour

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Reminds me of an old Cowboy joke

What are the three most commonly told lies from a cowboy?
1) The truck is paid for
2) I won this belt buckle
3) I was only trying to help the sheep over the fence

:D

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
whiskey is what happens when you're making scotch and are impatient
No, that's Gin. Whiskey, like America, is the result of British pver-taxation.

Pedantic Whisky/Whiskey snob factoid, Irish Whiskey tastes like it does because the British started taxing malted barley, so the Irish say fuck it, and just used un-malted barley, and after that started branching out to other grain. Somewhere along the line they added the "e" and here we are.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
When we toured Scottish distilleries they warned all us Aussies to not ask for a mixer or we would get murdered.

No fun. Actually Scotland had good cheese, I remember that much.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
No, that's Gin. Whiskey, like America, is the result of British pver-taxation.

Pedantic Whisky/Whiskey snob factoid, Irish Whiskey tastes like it does because the British started taxing malted barley, so the Irish say fuck it, and just used un-malted barley, and after that started branching out to other grain. Somewhere along the line they added the "e" and here we are.
Good stuff! I thought it was the Canadians and their whiskey, that used the e (Pendleton...yum). Never really considered the irish or Europe. Then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to countries. Sometimes I'm like Mr. Burns. "You mean there's a NEW Mexico?"

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Good stuff! I thought it was the Canadians and their whiskey, that used the e (Pendleton...yum). Never really considered the irish or Europe. Then again, I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to countries. Sometimes I'm like Mr. Burns. "You mean there's a NEW Mexico?"

Gin and Whisky both start as the same grain alcohol, gin is flavored with botanicals and doesn't get aged, whisky is aged in wood barrels (mostly oak) and that's where it get's it's flavor. The Scots were the first to age the grain alcohol in barrels and invented what we know as whisky, and they spell it without an "e", the southerners down in England preferred the un-aged Gin and beer, but all three beverages are very barley dependent. All whisky traces it's roots back to Gary-land, but it was the Irish who fiddled with the process (mostly out of necessity because of British taxation) to the point where it could be made worldwide by branching out to other grains and using column stills instead of pot stills to make it faster and cheaper. That's why it's their spelling that most other countries use.

The Irish only started making it because the British are total dick-bags and it was illegal to run a distillery in Scotland for a long time, along with a million other things because the British empire's laws made no sense, so some wild-ass Scot fled to Ireland (pre-British rule over there) and started making whisky. Of course once they showed up to do war-crimes the British also forced the English language on them but Irish and Scottish Gaelic are a bit different, so shit translated slightly different, you see it with a lot of last names as well.

What other random whisky knowledge can I ruin/save this thread with?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Tartare sauce is French bro. I doubt your mercan version is any better than ours which is freely available in any decent resteraunt/cafe that serves fish in Scotland.
You'll only get it in a sachet in a chip shop though. And in a chippy (chip shop) it's called a "fish supper"
In an Edinburgh chippy you'll have salt and (brown) chippy sauce.
Glasgow you'll have salt and vinegar.
It's kinda the law of the East/West split.
View attachment 166004

A tourist about to be thrown in the harbour
shouldn‘t that be wrapped up in yesterday’s paper?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Was cool to see Hill back on dual 27.5 wheels (I think) for the Tweed race. Not sure what the reason was for the last minute bike change but hell yeah

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Was cool to see Hill back on dual 27.5 wheels (I think) for the Tweed race. Not sure what the reason was for the last minute bike change but hell yeah
My mate who was there spectating all weekend actually said the opposite. That Sam looked like he didn't want to be there at all. Fire had gone out and at times rode like a beginner. He showed me footage of him crashing on the hop onto the final bridleway like a Jerry.
Sad times.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
My mate who was there spectating all weekend actually said the opposite. That Sam looked like he didn't want to be there at all. Fire had gone out and at times rode like a beginner. He showed me footage of him crashing on the hop onto the final bridleway like a Jerry.
Sad times.
Ah crap, that is sad times indeed.

Any footage you can share?