Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've also quite enjoyed watching you dig yourself into a deep enough hole to build a Fest Series super booter.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
1660773615392.png

Now there's some stage elevation gain numbers I like to see. Tracks look good also. Keen to see how the racers like it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
as someone who learned to ski at sugarloaf and sunday river, super stoked to see ews there. i hope both the loaf and the river can get their shit together and embrace summer lift served activities. huge potential at both, esp. sunday river, which is a bit closer to more people...

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
as someone who learned to ski at sugarloaf and sunday river, super stoked to see ews there. i hope both the loaf and the river can get their shit together and embrace summer lift served activities. huge potential at both, esp. sunday river, which is a bit closer to more people...
Sunday River just shut down their lift biking access a couple of years back. I think it ran steadily for almost 30 years.

Sugarloaf has a plan to bring lift access back, I think. Have to, since the ski season is about 9 days long now.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Sunday River just shut down their lift biking access a couple of years back. I think it ran steadily for almost 30 years.

Sugarloaf has a plan to bring lift access back, I think. Have to, since the ski season is about 9 days long now.
yeah-i'd hoped sunday river's was a pause/reset. shit, if mt. abram can do it next door they certainly can! so much potential across all that terrain....and as you said, ski seasons ain't getting any longer! shit, i can remember skiing sugarloaf on may 1 when i was a senior in college.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can't remember if it was Sugarloaf or Sunday River that I did a day of DH at about 15 years ago...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Just heard from a credible source(bikepark manager at Mt Abrams, currently the only active lift access spot in Makne)that some locals have been maintaining the closed bikepark trails at Sunday River- Adam Craig had a big hand building some gnarly dh lines there back when he was in Highshool, and that place didn’t get sanatized with excavators in the ensuing years- such a good spot for proper oldschool eastcoast steep jank.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Some of my f
Just heard from a credible source(bikepark manager at Mt Abrams, currently the only active lift access spot in Makne)that some locals have been maintaining the closed bikepark trails at Sunday River- Adam Craig had a big hand building some gnarly dh lines there back when he was in Highshool, and that place didn’t get sanatized with excavators in the ensuing years- such a good spot for proper oldschool eastcoast steep jank.
Loved me some Sunday River. Last run of the day there was always an obligatory pedal up to the tower trail and rip down after you were all knackered out followed by copious amounts of drinking. Many fond memories from there.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Nice to see what they're doing at Mt. Abram. Family-friendly and making the best of the terrain they have.

I ride on some trails in <undisclosed central Maine location> that are similarly built. Adam also had a hand in those. He's like the Johnny Appleseed of trails.

Looks like the weather is clearing up for the weekend. I see the boys hit the links on the Sugarloaf course today.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Nice to see what they're doing at Mt. Abram. Family-friendly and making the best of the terrain they have.

I ride on some trails in <undisclosed central Maine location> that are similarly built. Adam also had a hand in those. He's like the Johnny Appleseed of trails.

Looks like the weather is clearing up for the weekend. I see the boys hit the links on the Sugarloaf course today.
nice! now that parents are in assisted living should free up some time to ride when we visit. where are you at? we're midcoast-damariscotra/pemaquid area.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
@Gary nice to see that you still have a Hornet 4x. Sold my 27.5 Hornet and got a new-to-me 2017 Stanton Slackline that I run either as a mullet or 27.5 front & rear. SA could be a bit steeper but otherwise it's a lot of fun.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
looks awesome. esp the long segment starting at the top of the mountain above the treeline where the gondola lets you off if you're skiing. starts at like 30:00 or so...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. Coverage is fucking shocking
Didn't realise Hill had crashed in the pro stage so was well surprised to see him do so well. Nice one!
With Moir losing 10 minutes on stage 3 you'd have thought his bike'd actually broken but whatever his issues were it looks like he got back on it and won the two last stages? Mental!
looks like Rude had a mare on both those last two stages after being fairly consistently in the top few.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah. Coverage is fucking shocking
Didn't realise Hill had crashed in the pro stage so was well surprised to see him do so well. Nice one!
With Moir losing 10 minutes on stage 3 you'd have thought his bike'd actually broken but whatever his issues were it looks like he got back on it and won the two last stages? Mental!
looks like Rude had a mare on both those last two stages after being fairly consistently in the top few.
Yeah coverage is crappy so far. Would like to know what happened to Moir and Rude. Rude had two bad stages which knocked him outta contention - he was leading before that. Moir just going full send with two stage wins after a 10 min write off haha.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not the result you'd expect from the Sam Hill we all love and worshipped for probably 15 years + of racing but 10th overall with a 2nd place stage finish seems quite an achievement when you you remember he's now 37yr old guy who's been placing around 30th for the last couple of seasons.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
10th doesn't seem like a great result for Sam Hill being one of the few venues that didn't conspire against him.
Crashed on S1 and ended up 16 seconds off the winner on that stage and was only 34 seconds off the total win at the end of the event, to put that 10th into a bit of perspective.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
He really is 37 and so is Gee Atherton. Time flies.
I suppose people also wrote him off before the 2014 season, five years removed from his last wc win, and then he won MSA and Meribel and nearly took Ft. William and world champs.

Who knows what he is thinking these days. He has a wife and three kids and it sucks to miss birthdays and other important milestones.

If you listened to the Downtime Podcast episode with Gabe Fox (Canyon) the discussion got to the part where the host asked "if you could have a coaching session with somebody past or present who would it be?" and he remarked that around 80% of guests who were riders wanted to know how Sam Hill gets around a corner (1:12:41).

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Sam “Good to have that fire in me belly again” Hill

As far as I can tell, it just takes good old classic gravity fed brutality and lots and lots of corners for Sam Hill to do Sam Hill things.

all this fan-created drama about media platforms and free to watch streams and recap videos, etc,
the only channel i want is Sam Hill TV.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Think the popularity of the event will do anything to accelerate lift-baser access at the 'loaf? I can't keep hauling over to Highland, almost 4 hours from my house.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Think the popularity of the event will do anything to accelerate lift-baser access at the 'loaf? I can't keep hauling over to Highland, almost 4 hours from my house.
I thought I heard next year for lift service? Maybe that was just me wishful thinking. I know they had planned to have the lift running for NEMBAfest, but they pulled the plug on that.