Quantcast

The E-word thread. EWS

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
for me I'm pretty sure it's not the general bitterness. Just the general horrible flavour. Some coffee isn't even all that bitter. (possibly the stuff you like @norbar ?)
I've always loved the taste of raw lemons. As a little kid I spent an awful lot of time around restaurants and bars and was well known for poaching lemon from others drinks and meals (fish). Anywhere I was known I'd be given raw lemon to suck on unphased like a little performing monkey.
General horrible flavor comes from 2 things. 99% of coffee is of dogshit quality and from the fact they hide the quality with bad roasts and bad preparation (often serving you stale coffee run through uncleaned grinders). Coffee is a rare product where the gap between mass product and real top quality is noticeable even if you never drank it.

Also this is a way better topic than opening the gender in sports pandora box. Though Gary if I were you I'd not go "way the go british terfs" since their views usually include a bit more than "trans women in sport bad" and the UK ones especially have had some pretty dogshit allies with views openly praising some old school germanic ideas. The topic itself is not something with easy solutions even before we comment on trans women since women have been banned from competing for being "too manly" in the past.

@sethimus it's not very compatible. That's why I don't drink it often. Though as you made Gary admit he is kinda Bitter, Sweet and sometimes Salty should we start calling him Hot Chocolate?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
General horrible flavor comes from 2 things.
No mate. it comes from ONE thing.
Me. Just not liking the taste of coffee that millions of other folk do

I do LOVE Cadbury's hot chocoloate.

You're unlikely to tell me anything I don't already know regarding transgender. But please don't lump me or my personal view in with whatever "group" you think you know all about.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No mate. it comes from ONE thing.
Me. Just not liking the taste of coffee that millions of other folk do

I do LOVE Cadbury's hot chocoloate.

You're unlikely to tell me anything I don't already know regarding transgender. But please don't lump me or my personal view in with whatever "group" you think you know all about.
I am arguing that what you tasted tastes completely different to what I was talking about.

Also not lumping you with anyone. Just responded to you mentioning the terf term. I know you are not part of that group so no hard feelings there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF it's a kinda futile argument when you've no way of knowing what I have or haven't tasted. (even I don't if I'm being completely honest :wacko:).
But if I can't stand the taste of 99.99999% of the cups of coffee in the world it's probably fair to say I don't like the stuff. No?
I'm certainly I'm no rush to fly to Paris to spend 17 euros to try the only coffee that YOU think tastes good and seemingly doesn't taste like coffee.

BTW only liking ONE coffee out of the millions available worldwide would place you smack bang in the "I don't really like coffee" camp.
Top tip: probably stop wasting your money on coffee. You clearly don't like it much either

And yeah. Thanks. I only mentioned the term to explain my own stand point in respect to Seth's super funny meme

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
TBF it's a kinda futile argument when you've no way of knowing what I have or haven't tasted. (even I don't if I'm being completely honest :wacko:).
But if I can't stand the taste of 99.99999% of the cups of coffee in the world it's probably fair to say I don't like the stuff. No?
I'm certainly I'm no rush to fly to Paris to spend 17 euros to try the only coffee that YOU think tastes good and seemingly doesn't taste like coffee.

BTW only liking ONE coffee out of the millions available worldwide would place you smack bang in the "I don't really like coffee" camp.
Top tip: probably stop wasting your money on coffee. You clearly don't like it much either

And yeah. Thanks. I only mentioned the term to explain my own stand point in respect to Seth's super funny meme
Why would it be wasting if I enjoy it? Wasting it would be if I hated the experience. Also there are cheaper coffees that are good. The super fancy shmancy coffee for stupid cash is just an option if nothing else works and you are curious (plus making it at home is cheaper)

Generally I know this argument is silly but I think the issue with coffee is the mass produced product turned it into shit. I'd not say I don't like coffee because I don't like mass produced crap as it would be the same as saying I don't like pizza because dominos tastes like cardboard. As for knowing what you drank - I don't but if you assume you don't like coffee I doubt you went out of your way to change your mind. Especially since the language used around different things kinda enlightens you how much a person knows on a given topic but it's not like I can force you to drink something (well technically I can but that would be illegal). I'm just anal about coffee since it's a product where the mass market version is completely divorced from what the product can be.

@toodles going back on topic - I wonder if that's temporary or it sticks. Since you don't get as much practice on the same trail for Enduro as for DH flats do kinda seem like they make more sense for saving yourself in hairy situations.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
@toodles going back on topic - I wonder if that's temporary or it sticks. Since you don't get as much practice on the same trail for Enduro as for DH flats do kinda seem like they make more sense for saving yourself in hairy situations.
Ah Maydena probably suited it more than anywhere I think. It was more like 6 DH tracks than regular EWS/EDR fare. Morganne Charre has been doing bloody well on flats for past few years though. Plus that previous EWS winner Sam something did alright too so I'd say its just like most stuff we all over analyse - pick what you prefer and go for it.

Full coverage video here, they've done a good enough job of it I reckon.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Trans exclusionary? Yeah. I'll take it in this instance but hardly radical feminism having enough common sense to see that biological men need to be excluded from Women's competition.
I'm all for a trans category BTW. Obviously with a prize fund in line with category entry numbers.
If anyone here with hands on the forum admin controls gave a shit, this would be your last post here.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Why's that aaron?

Short basic science lesson for ya:
Biological sex is an immutable characteristic. It is possible to change a person's outward appearance, including bodily features. but no Human can change sex, which was determined at fertilization (genotype) and during embryonic development (phenotype).

Whatever Gender you choose to identify as doesn't change any of this. I know many people are afraid to speak out about this but I'm not.

Far from being a TERF/biggot/transphobe or just plain ol' ignorant/ill informed I actually happen to be a parent of a young trans adult.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ah Maydena probably suited it more than anywhere I think. It was more like 6 DH tracks than regular EWS/EDR fare. Morganne Charre has been doing bloody well on flats for past few years though. Plus that previous EWS winner Sam something did alright too so I'd say its just like most stuff we all over analyse - pick what you prefer and go for it.

Full coverage video here, they've done a good enough job of it I reckon.

Yeah but since the offseason is longer this year we get more time to theorycraft (especially since the weather decided to get insane and give us snow today) and weirdly more people do well on flats in Enduro so it does raise some questions.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah but since the offseason is longer this year we get more time to theorycraft (especially since the weather decided to get insane and give us snow today) and weirdly more people do well on flats in Enduro so it does raise some questions.
Obviously not relevant to riders that have anything resembling skill or the ability to read terrain, but I did despite racing DH with flats for years, I had clips on my trail bike. I did the first couple of enduros I did on clips, assuming that the pedalling benefit would suit what I expected enduros to be like, both in stage and for the liasons. I did ok on the local events where I'd ridden the trails many times but terribly racing the first couple of interstate and blind enduros I did. Swapped back to flats, felt more comfortable and placed much, much better. Now I just run flats full time on all my MTBs and don't have any real desire to try otherwise.

Again, totally not relatable to the level of riders at the top of the EDR but perhaps the combination of limited practice scenario and raw, natural, tight and twisty trails does lend itself to a pedal that is more forgiving?

Or like Fox vs Rockshox, SRAM vs Shimano, etc it really doesn't matter as much as we think it does and running whatever makes you happy is more important.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Obviously not relevant to riders that have anything resembling skill or the ability to read terrain, but I did despite racing DH with flats for years, I had clips on my trail bike. I did the first couple of enduros I did on clips, assuming that the pedalling benefit would suit what I expected enduros to be like, both in stage and for the liasons. I did ok on the local events where I'd ridden the trails many times but terribly racing the first couple of interstate and blind enduros I did. Swapped back to flats, felt more comfortable and placed much, much better. Now I just run flats full time on all my MTBs and don't have any real desire to try otherwise.

Again, totally not relatable to the level of riders at the top of the EDR but perhaps the combination of limited practice scenario and raw, natural, tight and twisty trails does lend itself to a pedal that is more forgiving?

Or like Fox vs Rockshox, SRAM vs Shimano, etc it really doesn't matter as much as we think it does and running whatever makes you happy is more important.
I think on rocky trails I was faster on clips but I'm a moron who doesn't factor in crash risk. The issue is clips made me scared to do bigger jumps and I had one race where clips made me 30s slower because I crashed 15m from the finishline in such a way I could not unclip for a super long time and could not get up.

But I think most of us would see the benefit of flats on tight tracks you ride blind.

Re. Gear - we all know eyebrows win races not bikes. The bigger the eyebrow the faster the rider. This is why when I got slower my eyebrows started thinning. I was unworthy.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
the Misspent dudes are trying a bunch of different things with coverage. here's an "audio zine" slideshow with Sven doing interviews, kinda like the old Vital slideshows.

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I think on rocky trails I was faster on clips but I'm a moron who doesn't factor in crash risk. The issue is clips made me scared to do bigger jumps and I had one race where clips made me 30s slower because I crashed 15m from the finishline in such a way I could not unclip for a super long time and could not get up.

But I think most of us would see the benefit of flats on tight tracks you ride blind.
I'd love a series where everyone HAD to ride flats and 650B (just because thats what I have). There's always some marginal gains twat who has to ruin the fun by running a faster, less rad setup and then everyone has to step up to remain competitive. Boo on them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Turn up on a 26" bike wearing non tight clothing and a proper full face.
Hang your lid on your bars and push up the all climbs.
Don't even bother finishing the race
Go home happy in the knowledge you were the one guy on the hill who didn't sell out!
(also winning that category)

#26isRAD

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Go home happy in the knowledge you were the one guy on the hill who didn't sell out!

#26isRAD
You are laughing but there was one guy who made it his mission to tell everyone he is riding without a chain to "improve his technique". Too bad it also included trails where chains were needed and even when he was working as a guide...

Also if Toodles goes with that setup I will source myself a skinsuit, a no visor helmet and dumb Canberra certified aero bits on the bike

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also if Toodles goes with that setup I will source myself a skinsuit, a no visor helmet and dumb Canberra certified aero bits on the bike
He pretty much described every DH race I did except I think I only DNF'ed a handful of times.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

#26isRAD

You guys are old. Running old gear will not make you young again.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
thanks to the mullets (i too am a victim), deals to be had on proper 650 rubber are scarce.

but yeah, schwalbes sourced from our teutonic friends are still silly good value.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I will say that an advantage with 26" right now is that you can get tyres at pretty much quarter the price.
The BIG advantage is they're lighter, stronger, more nimble and in the case of MAXXIS don't ever warp.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I remember someone here was arguing with me Slawek Lukasik was not fast enough and that's why he didn't get DH team support.

Well he was 2nd for this round of Enduro WC. Very small margin behind RR. So yeah. The guy needed factory support much sooner but I'm glad he has some

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I remember someone here was arguing with me Slawek Lukasik was not fast enough and that's why he didn't get DH team support.
I met him when I was marshalling for Trans Tasmania - which he won. Awesome dude and very rapid. Not surprised to see him up there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I met him when I was marshalling for Trans Tasmania - which he won. Awesome dude and very rapid. Not surprised to see him up there.
He was basically our Danny Hart. Super fast even before he was a junior (I think I first heard of him when he was 13 or 14). He was smoking everyone at a super young age, even guys who had top40 world cup results but he didn't have proper factory support which meant he could only attempt 1-3 world cup races per season. Also usually riders from eastern europe don't get as much riding time with the top pros unless they land on the same team so that probably slowed his progress by a lot too. Wish someone noticed him sooner. He had the speed, just made mistakes which would probably not have happened if he trained with some fast pros.

Personally I don't know him. I just know many people that do and sing his praises both for riding and personality. It's a bit of a bummer Poland doesn't invest more in this sport or more in sport in general as biking is super popular here and despite the lack of support the country gets some great athletes. We have:

- Sławek Łukasik
- Both Godziek Brothers
- Maja Włoszczowska (2 olympic silver medals in XC, Gold in St Anne WC in 2010)
- Rafał Majka (3rd at Vuelta in 2015, won that weird "mountain" category at TDF)

And a few more I'm forgetting but they succeed despite what happens here not because of it

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Personally I don't know him. I just know many people that do and sing his praises both for riding and personality. It's a bit of a bummer Poland doesn't invest more in this sport or more in sport in general as biking is super popular here and despite the lack of support the country gets some great athletes. We have:
I always wonder how many world champions never got their chance to shine hey. France dominates but having incredible support and literally every 3rd World Cup in your country does kinda help. Always super impressed by the legends that have made it from either smaller countries or with less support. I don't know anough about riding in South Africa but Minaar has done incredibly obviously, plus every Kiwi ever, but any rider from south or central American countries or any of the tiny islands all over the world. I think Flo Payet was from Reunion Island or something? Marcello from Colombia. Just crazy seeing them in the mix considering the obstacles.

Always thought it was cool when the original EWS would visit places like Chile or Colombia, or tiny places with weird inbreeding issues like Tasmania and New Zealand. People always say "oh those riders are doing well because they're locals" but realistically its half that and half because there's a bunch of riders that are World level fast but don't get a chance to show it till a race is an affordable distance away.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I always wonder how many world champions never got their chance to shine hey. France dominates but having incredible support and literally every 3rd World Cup in your country does kinda help. Always super impressed by the legends that have made it from either smaller countries or with less support. I don't know anough about riding in South Africa but Minaar has done incredibly obviously, plus every Kiwi ever, but any rider from south or central American countries or any of the tiny islands all over the world. I think Flo Payet was from Reunion Island or something? Marcello from Colombia. Just crazy seeing them in the mix considering the obstacles.

Always thought it was cool when the original EWS would visit places like Chile or Colombia, or tiny places with weird inbreeding issues like Tasmania and New Zealand. People always say "oh those riders are doing well because they're locals" but realistically its half that and half because there's a bunch of riders that are World level fast but don't get a chance to show it till a race is an affordable distance away.
Flo was from Reunion but at least there is a path for him to get support since Reunion is not an oversees teritory but technically "continental france" (checked that when I planned to visit and avoid quarantines).

What you really see is how far does money help. Look at Czech Republic. Relative to GDP Per Capita they did spend #1 in the world around a decade ago. Now it's hard to find data as they add up "recreation, culture and religion" so it fucks up the data but you can see it. Czechia is a small country, the GDP per capita is way below western countries but somehow they are a powerhouse in multiple sports and generally many Polish athletes go there to train. They are defo better for skiing and biking.

Visiting is important but you also need to convince local governments to spend. Our government put crazy money into Ski Jumping after Adam Malysz had great succeess. Fast forward 10 years and we have multiple great athletes in the sport instead of 1 random guy who got his shit together.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What support are you talking about french DH riders receiving?
At the WCs I've been to the French contingent is bonkers hey. The junior team at Stromlo had a massive busload of support staff, line spotters, track-side timing folks all kinds of stuff. Top tier support from their country's federation or whatever it is. Really awesome to see a country that supports cycling that much. I haven't been to a WC in years though so not sure if that is still the same or if other countries have caught up a bit.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah. hold on. By "WC" do you actually mean WORLD CHAMPS?

French contingent was always pretty impressive in comparison to any other nation at Champs. Because it's for their country. But not really at World Cup rounds when the teams are looking after their own riders.
Considering what a strong nation we have in the sport UK world champs support in DH is embarrassing in comparison (basically: because not olympic status)

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Even at the World Cup they had some junior development thing going on hey. Like unsponsored kids being taken along. The champs was next level. Dunno if its still like that though?

Britain does incredibly well for a place with notorious weather and without many lift accessed mountains. Seems like the Cycling Federation there is similar to Australia where MTB is considered an unwelcome distraction from track and road.