Quantcast

The Economy (2019?)

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
41, blue collar, college drop out. Semi-enthusiastically employed in aviation for one large airline and a fistful of small shops. Held at least a part time job since I was 14. Have knocked doors, made phone calls, and donated an embarrassingly large amount of personal cash and time into both Sanders campaigns.

I am also willing to do the same for Warren.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Lol, I’m for some sort of health care reform. Its way too expensive, especially after Obamacare went into action, but over taxing to achieve this is not the answer. Trying to take money from the ultra wealthy and large corporations will backfire. The point I’m trying to make is utilize the money we already have. Everyone wants to compare our healthcare to the government run Canada & Sweden’s systems for example. That’s fine, my question is, do those countries allow illegal immigrants to just move in and reap the benefits like they do here in the US? How much in foreign aid are they providing to other countries? Have you looked at the numbers on what the US spends on that alone? It’s not pretty. Then add in the able bodied Americans that are too lazy to work and rather collect a welfare check. Do you know what the tax rates are in the countries with free health care? I’m not 100% sure but isn’t it in the range of 40-45%? Those were the numbers that I heard, correct me if I’m wrong.
OK, Boomer. :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yes, much like my father, who sent out a facebook sourced video denying climate science because "empires do better when it's hot and wet" (white empires are the only ones that matter of course), the best course of action is to simply say "OK boomer" rather than trying to link to facts-based websites or peer-reviewed literature.

They don't get it, they won't get it, and they don't want to get it- their bubble is their happy place and you won't pop it. They paid their dues so now you get to listen to them.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
It's quite staggering how transparent and unoriginal those dimwitted Fox News drones are. It's always the brown people taking your jerbs and getting handouts... you know what's really expensive? Killing brown people. That latest foreign aid package delivered to Iraq via bombs and bullets on the back of blatant lies already cost you trillions while you are whining about 35 billion in foreign aid.

And how the myth of the Republican party as having any economic competence persists is just baffling. You got a tax cut? Woopdedoo, let's pray your hopefully smarter offspring is through college already because that's going to bite the country in the ass in a major fucking way a few years down the line. I'm not one to attribute economic performance to whoever happens to be president at the time, but who was at the helm again as America went from the greatest recession in close to a century to the current unprecedented boom?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's quite staggering how transparent and unoriginal those dimwitted Fox News drones are. It's always the brown people taking your jerbs and getting handouts... you know what's really expensive? Killing brown people. That latest foreign aid package delivered to Iraq via bombs and bullets on the back of blatant lies already cost you trillions while you are whining about 35 billion in foreign aid.

And how the myth of the Republican party as having any economic competence persists is just baffling. You got a tax cut? Woopdedoo, let's pray your hopefully smarter offspring is through college already because that's going to bite the country in the ass in a major fucking way a few years down the line. I'm not one to attribute economic performance to whoever happens to be president at the time, but who was at the helm again as America went from the greatest recession in close to a century to the current unprecedented boom?

MOSCOW MITCH MCCONELL!

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I know we try to avoid dealing in facts here, but since our local Trump troll trotted out Sweden as an example of a country not giving enough foreign aid...

Foreign aid as percentage of GNP:
USA: 0.17
G7 average: 0,29
Netherlands: 0.61
Great Britain: 0.7
Denmark: 0.72
Norway: 0.94
Sweden: 1.4

whoops

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I know we try to avoid dealing in facts here, but since our local Trump troll trotted out Sweden as an example of a country not giving enough foreign aid...

Foreign aid as percentage of GNP:
USA: 0.17
G7 average: 0,29
Netherlands: 0.61
Great Britain: 0.7
Denmark: 0.72
Norway: 0.94
Sweden: 1.4

whoops
Richest nation in the history of the planet.

"We can't afford healthcare for all our citizens."
"We can't afford university for those that want to attend."
"We are giving too much in foreign aid."
"Lazy brown people are mainly to blame for all of this stuff."

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Like the 25K jobs AOC chased out of NY? Those corporate jobs from what I understood paid on average $125K a year?
“When a baby boomer says some dumb shit and you can't even begin to explain why he's wrong because that would be deconstructing decades of misinformation and ignorance so you just brush it off and say okay.”

Boomer: Kids nowadays are so allergic back in my day we just ate bees and wiped our asses with poison ivy.
Non-boomer: Ok boomer
Well technically I'm not a boomer, I think missed it by a year or two. But, how do you know what we say is even wrong? Maybe we speak from experience? Maybe in your world yes its completely possible, but then again, maybe not. It appears you're set in your ways, and only prefer to view one side. What the far left preaches you eat up, you believe it, you embrace it. What the right says, they're all wrong, they're the devils spawn etc. The difference between you & I, is I don't hate or ridicule someone for what side they support, I personally can care less. You? You get your panties all up in a bunch because I don't see things the way you do, and HOW DARE THEY! LOL!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Like the 25K jobs AOC chased out of NY? Those corporate jobs from what I understood paid on average $125K a year?
Is that because like 2 of the jobs were 3 million and all the rest were 35K?

Average is a very meaningless figure, unless everyone is being paid the same.

I was listening to a newscast a couple days ago and evidently there is still plenty of tech investment in NY, I may be able to dig it up, but I forget what the source was at the moment. In any case, funny-money tax breaks are one thing that is wrong with this country. It's based on hope. If you can bring the $$$ to the local economy, you don't need tax breaks to get started. The people always get left holding the bill when the company folds, goes away, doesn't pay it back, etc.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Well technically I'm not a boomer, I think missed it by a year or two. But, how do you know what we say is even wrong? Maybe we speak from experience? Maybe in your world yes its completely possible, but then again, maybe not. It appears you're set in your ways, and only prefer to view one side. What the far left preaches you eat up, you believe it, you embrace it. What the right says, they're all wrong, they're the devils spawn etc. The difference between you & I, is I don't hate or ridicule someone for what side they support, I personally can care less. You? You get your panties all up in a bunch because I don't see things the way you do, and HOW DARE THEY! LOL!
The difference is that you are on the selfish,” I got mine and DGAF about others” side of these issues. It’s not a good look.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

Can you point out to me where I said anything about AOC?
Cause I cant remember talking about her anywhere. Its almost like youre trying to create a diversion like trump always does.
Unfortunately for you that wont work here.

I dont have a strong opinion on AOC but as mentioned before those numbers dont mean much.
The reason for “chasing jobs out of NY” was because Amazon is making 11 BILLION in profits a year and doesnt pay A SINGLE DOLLAR OF TAXES.
Money that goes straight to offshore accounts at the cost of the American public.
Ive already talked about how bad this system is before and all you came up with was the standard “But her emails!” defence.

Its funny how youre calling us “set in our ways” while you dont even realise how much of a fundamentalist you are even though you admitted it yourself.
We dont have our panties up in a bunch because you dont see things the way you do.
Were calling you out for not understanding what youre talking about, not wanting to look further then the usual fox propaganda and just being a selfish asshole in general.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Cause I cant remember talking about her anywhere. Its almost like youre trying to create a diversion like trump always does.
Whataboutism is literally a Russian propaganda tool, and AOC seems to be a (perhaps the) favorite right wing rhetorical boogey man. Since the spin machine can't keep up with how fast the Ukraine stuff is unfolding it's not all that surprising that Brian is being forced to play debunked retro hits until Hannity can come up with something new.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

I dont have a strong opinion on AOC but as mentioned before those numbers dont mean much.
The reason for “chasing jobs out of NY” was because Amazon is making 11 BILLION in profits a year and doesnt pay A SINGLE DOLLAR OF TAXES.
Money that goes straight to offshore accounts at the cost of the American public.
Ive already talked about how bad this system is before and all you came up with was the standard “But her emails!” defence.

Its funny how youre calling us “set in our ways” while you dont even realise how much of a fundamentalist you are even though you admitted it yourself.
We dont have our panties up in a bunch because you dont see things the way you do.
Were calling you out for not understanding what youre talking about, not wanting to look further then the usual fox propaganda and just being a selfish asshole in general.
That is what the left doesn't understand, its $3B NY never had to begin with. NY wasn't going to pay Amazon $3B to be there, they would just be tax exempt. However, with the 25K jobs, again at an average of $125K a year, these people would be paying income tax, they would be buying property, paying property tax, they would be purchasing goods paying sales tax. Creating more jobs, opening more businesses in the area, restaurants, construction, etc that all equals more revenue for the state, country. So those 25K new employees would be paying approximately $750K-$1M a year in income tax alone. At this point in time its 0 because of it. Even Democratic Gov Cuomo & mayor de Blasio understood this and were not happy Amazon bailed, because of the huge loss in added tax revenue. I know, you feel you deserve and are entitled to take some of Amazon's profits because, why should they have all that money? Selfish!!!!!! LOL!!!!! You seem to know a lot about me and how "selfish" I am. FYI, my wife & I are involved in a few different charity's donating time & money every year. I know, they're not the right charity's according to you, so yep...... selfish!!!!! LOL!!!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Whataboutism is literally a Russian propaganda tool, and AOC seems to be a (perhaps the) favorite right wing rhetorical boogey man. Since the spin machine can't keep up with how fast the Ukraine stuff is unfolding it's not all that surprising that Brian is being forced to play debunked retro hits until Hannity can come up with something new.
Well thank goodness you have CNN & MSNBC to set the record straight! Sorry but the whistleblower/Ukraine witch hunt will fizzle out just like the Mueller investigation did. Don't you think looking at the votes last Thursday that didn't show any bipartisanship? The left has only one agenda, and that's to remove Trump from office, its been that way since day one. It may be much more believable if the left didn't cry for impeachment the day he was elected. The lefts whole motivation is to keep this going as long as possible so Trump wont win the 2020 election, its very obvious.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My bad, average $150K
You are awfully naive for being as old as you are.

“Often these things turn out to be complete frauds,” Johnston said. Multiple studies have shown that some short-term economic benefits may accrue to the community that has extended the tax breaks, but, over the long term, there is little positive benefit (and often none) because the practice saps money from public education and infrastructure, which is extremely harmful to a local economy.
That said this particular Amazon deal may have been good, but the company just took their ball and went home:

“If you’re going to have a market economy, have a market economy.” But, he added, in terms of the Amazon deal, “This is not a black-and-white situation.” He pointed out that there have been many far more dubious projects that were subsidized with very little protest; both the Goldman Sachs headquarters, in lower Manhattan, and Yankee Stadium, in the Bronx, were built with significant taxpayer assistance, to name two. “There are a lot of these deals where it’s just throwing money down a rat hole, but this is one where there’s significant potential that it would have jump-started real change,” he said. “Fifty years from now, New Yorkers may look back and say, ‘That was a mistake.’ ”

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
no tax support.
Not just no tax support, the actual opposite. The city/state giving millions of tax payer dollars away in welfare "corporate subsides" to one of the nations most profitable business and a Lex Luthor cosplay enthusiast, to the detriment of constituents in the area.

edit: Sniped by the much more eloquent Doctor.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So, basically, you still don’t know what average or median actually mean, nor the implications of needing new infrastructure with no tax support.
Telling.
not only that - "high paying" "150k average" sounds great, until you understand that the median home price in queens is over half a million dollars (about $640,000), and the median apartment rental is about $2500/month.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you guys keep engaging brian like he's listening. This is where the whole OK boomer thing comes from. He's not. You could provide factual evidence from an unbiased source that is contrasting to his views and he will ignore them and make claims about "the left". He doesn't want to listen nor debate, he just wants to tell you he's right and you're wrong. They all do.

It's OK to be open minded. I watched the O'reilly-Stewart debate back in the day and I was shocked at some of the points O'reilly made that forced me to reconsider my positions. It's OK to listen. It's OK to not agree...it's not OK to put your fingers in your ears, cite WaPO or FOX, and just carry on.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
you guys keep engaging brian like he's listening. This is where the whole OK boomer thing comes from. He's not. You could provide factual evidence from an unbiased source that is contrasting to his views and he will ignore them and make claims about "the left". He doesn't want to listen nor debate, he just wants to tell you he's right and you're wrong. They all do.

It's OK to be open minded. I watched the O'reilly-Stewart debate back in the day and I was shocked at some of the points O'reilly made that forced me to reconsider my positions. It's OK to listen. It's OK to not agree...it's not OK to put your fingers in your ears, cite WaPO or FOX, and just carry on.
Poopdecking!

:D