Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Didn’t know where else to put this…

View attachment 171121

My first job after college required full time travel. When I hired on it was billed as a 3-5 year learning experience. After 4 years I was sick of traveling and asked for a transfer. I was told no I needed to learn more. I challenged that by the fact that I was fixing jobs our senior guys fucked up, they said that was part of the process and the senior guys were still learning. I asked if they would promote me to a senior as I was had clearly advanced past where most of our senior guys had. They said no I was too young. The company was going to lay people off, I volunteered to get laid off, they said no they needed me. I told them I was going to need to take every Wednesday off until all of my accrued vacation was burnt up and I was only available to travel Monday and Tuesday nights. They transferred me to a local project but I quit soon after that. Somewhere in that process I turned in a weeks worth of expense receipts that were all for bottles of liquor, that was a fun meeting with HR.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My first job after college required full time travel. When I hired on it was billed as a 3-5 year learning experience. After 4 years I was sick of traveling and asked for a transfer. I was told no I needed to learn more. I challenged that by the fact that I was fixing jobs our senior guys fucked up, they said that was part of the process and the senior guys were still learning. I asked if they would promote me to a senior as I was had clearly advanced past where most of our senior guys had. They said no I was too young. The company was going to lay people off, I volunteered to get laid off, they said no they needed me. I told them I was going to need to take every Wednesday off until all of my accrued vacation was burnt up and I was only available to travel Monday and Tuesday nights. They transferred me to a local project but I quit soon after that. Somewhere in that process I turned in a weeks worth of expense receipts that were all for bottles of liquor, that was a fun meeting with HR.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fuck dude, I’d kill for some time travel.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
How does that feel, being almost completely out of debt?? :D

I presume you still have a little on the Mazda?
Oh goodness, no. We paid off the Mazda a year early with the tax rebate we got for buying the leaf, which is currently our only debt. IIRC we have 18ish months left on that. We could pay it off earlier than that, but at .9% I'm in no hurry

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You need to be less binary, dude. :D

Seriously though, no reason not to have cool stuff under fully automated luxury communism.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
In other news:

"This time is different!"
This just in, people borrow money when they expect rates to rise.
…and also when they don’t have money of their own.

AA956005-BF3C-4045-87D3-25F431F02D4D.jpeg

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
The thing that sucks most about that is that is partially true:

Costs for some of the raw goods that my wife uses for her small business have doubled in the last 6 months!

At my corporate day job on the other hand, I was told to bump prices on a quote, because inflation. I pointed out that our bottom line NET including overhead cost on the product is exactly what it was 12 months. I was instructed to shut up and raise the price, bc everything else on the market is more expensive now. "Inflayshun!"

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
This is exactly why we haven’t raised the rent on our tenants in a few years, our mortgage is the same.
however, our property taxes went up, our tenants wanted a wood stove that we bought them, our insurance went up, and we are putting in new counters.
we are doing a 20% increase in ‘23 (but that will still be about a $1000 less than average for our market of this kind of house. We could easily get $4k, but are charging $2k,because Karma. (And we love our tenants).