Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Lol, that was funny! We lived in that house for ten years, it had everything, even a grow room and a hot tub!
As to heat, it had a truly bizarre setup, it has forced air coming down from the cieling, apparently trying to defy physics. What is even stranger is that it has a five foot crawl space, so easily could have been done from undetneath.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't see the big deal. I mean, we've already had our Soros/Gates 5G chips installed during our hoax COVID shots, so it's not like the government doesn't already know everything that you're doing.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
here's your shit take of the day

patriots fan losers think everyone should be brady :rofl:

It is possible that more retired workers could do the same, according to research from the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
here's your shit take of the day

Totes, cause a man unretiring to make tens of millions of dollars playing a game is definitely the same as Hugh down the block deciding he hasn't been degraded enough for $13/hr at his local Walmart.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
This is very insular to the ski world, but certainly represents a new and positive direction in ‘evil’ ski corporate mega-management. Vail Co. must be shitting bricks over hiring realities in order to be this aggressive. This will certainly trickle down in some way to the ski areas here.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is very insular to the ski world, but certainly represents a new and positive direction in ‘evil’ ski corporate mega-management. Vail Co. must be shutting bricks over hiring realities in order to be this aggressive. This will certainly trickle down in some way to the ski areas here.
There local resort was a giant shitshow this year when they could only open up half their lifts despite tons of snow because of a labor shortage. It sounds like changed to rules preventing employees from staying in on site housing or even Vanning it up in the parking lot. This isn't a resort but a ski hill in the national forest so the nearest town is about an hour away.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I disagree, these are pretty meaninful reforms in an industry long known for not giving a shit. its going to cost them a fuck load to implement, that’s not marketing.
This came up in my job interview today, and was met with an increased hourly offer.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I disagree, these are pretty meaninful reforms in an industry long known for not giving a shit. its going to cost them a fuck load to implement, that’s not marketing.
Putting that announcement where they did is absolutely marketing

It's not going to cost them jack shit. You haven't looked at how much vail has been making the last 5 years have you?

Not to even mention how much that ceo that wrote that makes... I hope that company fails with the hatred of a thousand suns.

20 bucks/hr where those hills are located......LOL. They're not doing this because they're a good company, they're doing it because they realized their slave labor business model is about to suffer losses.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well there's fucking 4 of them here owned by vail now, so I'll hold my breath for the prosperity to trickle down since I'm sure the trickle will be just so much more intense.

In the meantime I'll continue to enjoy not being able to leave my house for a 10 mile drive that takes over an hour thanks to all those value added passes.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
It may be a ‘drop in the bucket’, but it’s something. I know for a fact things weren’t any better for lifties/etc. when they made $7.00 an hour, and there was almost no employee housing, either.
ski patrol, however, are still getting fucked for their skill set and training, I’ll agree there.
But hey, look at the bright side, corporate execs can WFH!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have no idea why patrollers risk themselves for that bullshit 'pay'

20/hr is yes obviously better than 7.50/hr. But that's what 40k/yr as a salary..... Dude you know that doesn't make a difference in somewhere like jackson. You know this.

That's the range they should have done 20 years ago.

Vail does not in any way shape or form deserve a pat on the back for this. They found themselves backed into a corner, that's it. Let's talk housing, health insurance, and a livable wage for the areas they work in and maybe I'll care.

That company has been almost single-handedly responsible for the many many aspects of the downfall of this place. Among others...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Giving this a little more thought, one thing that might happen is that everyone’s hourly wage will get ‘stuck’ at $20, regardless of how good you are at what you do, or how much initiative you show. Remains to be seen.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is very insular to the ski world, but certainly represents a new and positive direction in ‘evil’ ski corporate mega-management. Vail Co. must be shitting bricks over hiring realities in order to be this aggressive. This will certainly trickle down in some way to the ski areas here.
So they can’t just work for season passes anymore?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Vail Corp does suck, and HAS ruined much of skiing while making BILLIONS doing so.
YOU BE NICE TO VAIL THEY ARE MY FRIENDS!!!

Wages were higher before the big conglomerates bought all the hills. I don't know why no one realizes this. Had this big consolidation with vail and alterra not happened wages would be HIGHER right now. This one single last resort revamp of their pay system wouldn't be such a big deal, had they not stuck their noses in. It's a false narrative thinking they suddenly improved working conditions. They're the reason they sucked. We do have a few smaller independently owned (or co-op/HOA owned) ski hills here. All three of them pay better than vail and always did.

I know plenty of people who work office jobs for vail, having been absorbed when bought out. That ain't a good company. At any level.

The environmental impacts alone of what those assholes have done is huge. They've incentivized driving, more interstate and (an now international) air travel, and completely driven the short term rental market for at least 6 months of the year, which in most cases is enough to make buying a house and turning it into a hotel worth doing.

It has nothing to do with me, although they did literally destroy my happy place. I can't not know what that shit company does, I'm surrounded by it. They took the model of what they did in summit county in the 90s and then cranked it up on steroids. I had no idea the love for monopolies on this place.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Love the clickbait. People making more money by quitting jobs… Except it only works if you have someone to pay your health insurance costs, and you’re willing to work longer hours when you’re on a gig, and give up the stability of job security. But, hey, here’s a guy who quit his full time job but made sure his wife didn’t, so that he’d have more time on his motorcycle.

D1A3B7BF-BA97-4750-BEF7-EF9C71C310C5.jpeg

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Is mid six-figures considered to be ~$150k or ~$500k? If healthcare process management consultants are getting $750k annually I suppose it explains a lot about the state of our healthcare system and also definitely suggests that I'm in the wrong line of work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Love the clickbait. People making more money by quitting jobs… Except it only works if you have someone to pay your health insurance costs, and you’re willing to work longer hours when you’re on a gig, and give up the stability of job security. But, hey, here’s a guy who quit his full time job but made sure his wife didn’t, so that he’d have more time on his motorcycle.

View attachment 173559
so like a trustafarian but with a sugar mama.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Is mid six-figures considered to be ~$150k or ~$500k? If healthcare process management consultants are getting $750k annually I suppose it explains a lot about the state of our healthcare system and also definitely suggests that I'm in the wrong line of work.
Fair question. I think it was meant to imply $150k range. They mentioned him doubling his salary, so I doubt he went from $250k to $500k and still needs his wife to cover health insurance costs.

A few years back I had a friend with a “consultant gig” mention how much money they made and the amount impressed me, along with the comment about it not being as much as you’d think. It essentially boiled down to a couple of factors. Paying out of pocket for healthcare costs was a huge part of it. Also, there was some tax stuff that goes along with the 1099 life that had some sting to it that my W-2 world didn’t have. It roughly worked out that he’d need to make near double my corporate job pay rate to take home the same annual net if you accounted for my employee benefits (insurance, 401k match, paid time off).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fair question. I think it was meant to imply $150k range. They mentioned him doubling his salary, so I doubt he went from $250k to $500k and still needs his wife to cover health insurance costs.

A few years back I had a friend with a “consultant gig” mention how much money they made and the amount impressed me, along with the comment about it not being as much as you’d think. It essentially boiled down to a couple of factors. Paying out of pocket for healthcare costs was a huge part of it. Also, there was some tax stuff that goes along with the 1099 life that had some sting to it that my W-2 world didn’t have. It roughly worked out that he’d need to make near double my corporate job pay rate to take home the same annual net if you accounted for my employee benefits (insurance, 401k match, paid time off).
Health care, life insurance, payroll tax, retirement, might be a bit more in there.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Exactly why pay as a contract employee in my line of work seems extremely appealing, until you do that math and realize it really ain't shit at the end of the day.