Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Found this on Reddit. Industry specific, and a bit wonky, but signals that not all is well.

I learned so much working for Transcore. Jubitz truck stop created the load board concept for exception freight. It became Dial A Truck where you called the truck stop to find an available truck for a load you needed hauled. Exception freight is a tiny (like 5%) of the total freight market, but when you hear large trucking organizations talk about signing up for load boards just to keep trucks full, that's a horrible sign.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I-Bonds are resetting to 8.67% in May. Good place to put your >1yr and short-term bond funds (up to $10k). Know you can't access for 1yr though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Median income people were never those buying new cars even before these times.

"The average buyer of a new car, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) in 2015, earned about $80,000 per year."

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

"The average buyer of a new car, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) in 2015, earned about $80,000 per year."
I liked how the article I posted used an example of a lady who switched from a Tacoma to a RAV4 saying it does everything she needs and "saves" $100 to $200 a month on gas. Another way to say that is that she had been wasting $100 to $200 a month for a few years.
1650042970317.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Other fun data regarding median buyer income and various vehicles. These are ones that I've looked up before:

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser: "today [in 1991], the median income of LC buyers is $90,000, far and away higher than that of any other Toyota vehicle's constituency, with the single exception of the new Lexus LS400."

2008 Toyota Land Cruiser, but referring to earlier 100 series Land Cruiser demographics: "Toyota says the average household income of a Land Cruiser buyer is about $225,000 and about half already own a Land Cruiser"

2008 Lexus LX 570, but referring to earlier 100 series Lexus LX 470 demographics akin to the above: "Owners of the previous model, the LX470, have a household income of about $340,000"

2014 interview regarding Mercedes E Class: "Compared to the E-Class sedan, which is about $200,000 median household income, the E-Class wagon is about $375,000. Some of these buyers grew up in an E-Class wagon and feel nostalgic. They value it for their children, wanting their kids to be in the same car that they were in."

E Class sedan buyers are up and coming wannabe execs. E Class wagon buyers are buying it for the nanny or the yacht captain's use.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I liked how the article I posted used an example of a lady who switched from a Tacoma to a RAV4 saying it does everything she needs and "saves" $100 to $200 a month on gas. Another way to say that is that she had been wasting $100 to $200 a month for a few years.
View attachment 175028
And she also terminated her Tacoma lease early and wrapped it up in the new payment. :facepalm:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

80k is about median income (60K last time I checked)

The way they break down 50-100k as two different brackets is kind of dumb. If you combine those two they're comparable to the other brackets.

Regionally there's obvious huge variation but generally speaking it seems like calling 40-100k as middle income would be more accurate.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

The average household income of a new Ford F-150 owner is about $82,000 per year. By comparison the median household income in the United States is $61,937.
Perhaps $20k/year is negligible in your high rent part of the country, but it still counts here in Real America(tm).

:D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
'tis true. And it is also true that they're not "about" the same.
When considered with regional variations I think they are. The same job in sacramento or denver pays more than the equivalent in arkansas in many cases.

If you truly want to capture what a nationwide bracket of 'median' is, you have to sweep a little wider because of this.

Someone making 80k in san francisco only has the same buying power as someone making 40k in daytona beach because of a lot other living expenses not directly related to a car purchase.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Perhaps $20k/year is negligible in your high rent part of the country, but it still counts here in Real America(tm).

:D
Informal observations from the parking lot at work is that income is roughly inversely proportional to car price. Lots of $80,000 trucks, corvettes, Audi R8s driven by the blue collar types, economy cars and compact crossovers driven by the engineers, high end luxury cars driven by secretaries. Execs do like to roll around in BMWs and Lexi.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
When considered with regional variations I think they are. The same job in sacramento or denver pays more than the equivalent in arkansas in many cases.

If you truly want to capture what a nationwide bracket of 'median' is, you have to sweep a little wider because of this.

Someone making 80k in san francisco only has the same buying power as someone making 40k in daytona beach because of a lot other living expenses not directly related to a car purchase.
However, I think crack is the same price everywhere.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So the latest economist chatter is all about recession.
However, I am pretty sure there would be few ways to curb an overheated economy/inflation without a bit of a recession of sorts. thoughts?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
A lot has to change to give more "normal" people a chance and those in power are not going to let go of it voluntarily. Too many "I earned this because I work hard" dumbasses. The only real way is a significant recession.