Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not sure. I could idolize heirs like elon musk and donald trump as self made geniuses, defend everything they do at all costs in the delusion that I could be them one day.

Yeah Ill try that. That'll work. Off to buy some bitcoin! See you when Im rich, SUCKERS!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So we had a few years of low interest rates, and people borrowed a lot, and used that money to spend a lot. Consumer spending meant sellers could jack up the prices and still move products. Sure there was some inflation but the economy grew. Seems worth it.

Oh, except that lower rates really only benefited the cash position of those with the credit and collateral to borrow in the first place. Meanwhile, those who couldn't just got the “higher prices“ part of the equation as a consolation prize. Huh. Who could’ve seen that coming?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Where's that chart from?
Zoom is almost exactly at where it was in July of 2019 based on yahoo finance. So are the others, if you ignore the covid bump.
View attachment 175589
It's not stock prices. It's % drop off 'high'

A bit of a shifty display to illustrate losses for sure, but still losses from some peak, whatever caused it.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
”what’s up, Chicken Little? Just seeing how you are doing”.
I have a couple clients who got wrapped up into these and couldn't get ahead of them. One was to the extent that we ended up having to set up a ~$25k loan from the 401k, use it to pay everything off, set up controlled payments, and never use BNPL or CC's again. It's crazy that the best mode of getting out from under this shit is to undermine retirement for a few years.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

That shit's just wasteful. I've told Wifey to start going to Nordstrom's instead of Amazon. Let's call it bonding time with Haley.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

That shit's just wasteful. I've told Wifey to start going to Nordstrom's instead of Amazon. Let's call it bonding time with Haley.
Haven't ordered from Amazon since Jan 2020, don't plan on doing so any time soon.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haven't ordered from Amazon since Jan 2020, don't plan on doing so any time soon.
This might change Wifey's game.

I've mostly stopped ordering from Jenson, et al too. My shop will give me near enough prices that I try to avoid it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

What makes you think Nordstrom handles returned inventory any differently?

REI and their Garage Sales are likely the odd one out.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
In-store you try things on.

That is what I really don't get about online clothes / shoes.
You have no idea on the quality and weight of the fabrics, stitching etc.
You can not rely on traditional sizing as it is out the window.
Hell, even multiple examples of same pants in the same size often fit differently let alone other lines from the same mfg. Lets not even discuss how things fit across different mfg's.

Not interested nor can I afford to play internet retailer / return bingo, especially when not in the us of eh.

Silly me, but I too want to physically see and try on my clothes and shoes prior to purchase.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
At dinner with Wifey last night. She's a C-level for a real estate developer her in Denver. "I think maybe we should take getting me a new car (electric Q7) off the table when it's available. Getting funding for projects is starting to get hard. We've been talking about the beginnings of a recession with partners for some of our projects."

And there we have it. Recession is inbound. Wifey is about 6mos behind when it comes to economic trending. When she says "hey, what about this?" it's already occurred.