Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Americans - Why are gas prices so high?

Also Americans - Fuck fuel efficiency, I’m buying this.
I got pretty involve in a new car conversation/debate in the personal finance sub on Reddit the other day. Guy's family is about to make it to 5 and so he's looking at buying a Sequoia. Saves a prolific amount, but is looking at a giant SUV. I went through the beat options for a family of 5, cost wise (hybrid minivan > minivan > mid-size 7-seat hybrid suv, 7-seat wagon (E-class with box) > mid-size 7-seat SUV). He instantly threw out minivan and e-class, hybrid SUV was a *maybe*, then we got into one-and-done purchases like a GX/LX/Land Cruiser. Dude has three young kids, including a newborn, and is looking at tall SUVs. He's probably going GX, since they are lifetime type cars, assuming you can live with an old car and don't Jones over a new one in 5 years. Mileage is shit. Upfront cost is worse than any of the hybrid minivan options. But zero fucks given.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I got pretty involve in a new car conversation/debate in the personal finance sub on Reddit the other day. Guy's family is about to make it to 5 and so he's looking at buying a Sequoia. Saves a prolific amount, but is looking at a giant SUV. I went through the beat options for a family of 5, cost wise (hybrid minivan > minivan > mid-size 7-seat hybrid suv, 7-seat wagon (E-class with box) > mid-size 7-seat SUV). He instantly threw out minivan and e-class, hybrid SUV was a *maybe*, then we got into one-and-done purchases like a GX/LX/Land Cruiser. Dude has three young kids, including a newborn, and is looking at tall SUVs. He's probably going GX, since they are lifetime type cars, assuming you can live with an old car and don't Jones over a new one in 5 years. Mileage is shit. Upfront cost is worse than any of the hybrid minivan options. But zero fucks given.
Next gotta find a couple side-by-sides that can fit the whole family.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One of the things that struck me in New Zealand is how the cars are old, small, and modest. And that's entirely socially ok.

We overextend ourselves as a rule here. So many new, shiny, big vehicles here.

Median household income is about $67k USD vs $75k NZD (== $48k USD), but that might be deceptive given all the extra insurance crap and the like we have to pay for here. NZ top marginal rate was 33% last I checked, for the record.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
One of the things that struck me in New Zealand is how the cars are old, small, and modest. And that's entirely socially ok.

We overextend ourselves as a rule here. So many new, shiny, big vehicles here.

Median household income is about $67k USD vs $75k NZD (== $48k USD), but that might be deceptive given all the extra insurance crap and the like we have to pay for here. NZ top marginal rate was 33% last I checked, for the record.
Thank you reality TV. Keeping up with the Jones' is probably one of this country's biggest social problems. Because it alone leads to downstream issues around debt and financial problems. People have been trained for generations to correlate ownership of goods with success. But don't register that debt attached to those goods mean that you don't actually own them.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
My "new" vehicle has 140K miles on it... :D
I hear you. My new one is now 19 years old with 260 000. It is basically a toy now - a JDM swapped Civic that is now an errand car and bike hauler. In the last 10 years, tires, oil changes and brakes are the only thing the tools have come out for.
However, the starter is now starting to go, so I guess I have to pull out the tools after all...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Here to talk shit on american consumption while simultaneously overconsuming, but it's okay because I can brag that I'm just rich enough to do it.
My woo-triggering mountain house is definitely a luxury item.

But I can afford it, yes. And even the gas bill for my rarely driven Land Cruiser.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here to talk shit on american consumption while simultaneously overconsuming, but it's okay because I can brag that I'm just rich enough to do it.
I will note, that I voted to increase my state taxes the last time it came up, because it was better for the majority.

The majority however voted against it. Despite the fact that they would have been paying less...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
they've been conditioned to despise taxes.
I had someone go on a rant during a meeting around the last election cycle about how 'democrats we're trying to raise taxes'. I was like... 'uh. You and you wife make a combined $150k. You will actually see your taxes go down if this passes. And your taxes won't go up unless you're making $50k more. You're top of range in a govt job, so that's not gonna happen. This is actually good for you. My taxes will go up and I'm voting for it, because it's better for people who will see their taxes go down - like you.' Still went on ranting about taxes. Dude. How do you think you get paid? You're a GOVT WORKER! No reasoning with entrenched propaganda.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had someone go on a rant during a meeting around the last election cycle about how 'democrats we're trying to raise taxes'. I was like... 'uh. You and you wife make a combined $150k. You will actually see your taxes go down if this passes. And your taxes won't go up unless you're making $50k more. You're top of range in a govt job, so that's not gonna happen. This is actually good for you. My taxes will go up and I'm voting for it, because it's better for people who will see their taxes go down - like you.' Still went on ranting about taxes. Dude. How do you think you get paid? You're a GOVT WORKER! No reasoning with entrenched propaganda.
translation: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have an acquaintance that regularly babbles about "all taxation is theft" then wanders off to her job as a tax auditor for the State of Colorado. :think:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
One of the things that struck me in New Zealand is how the cars are old, small, and modest. And that's entirely socially ok
Unrelated to economy but related to vehicles, back in the UK last month for the first time since 2018 and it was nice to be driving around with a majority of vehicles being actual cars, not SUV's or giant pickups. Cars a definitely a minority on the roads in Murka now.