Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
But I hate, hate having any toy debt.
This is how debt should work. If you are paying interest for the time value of making an acquisition today, then the cost of that should be offset by an appreciating asset, not a depreciating one.

...or the debt should enable you to make a purchase and continue to utilize other assets in a way that offsets the interest cost.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I still have a year of car payments on the newer truck. Reason one, to get my credit over 820 or so, and two, my interest is .9%. ridiculous. But I hate, hate having any toy debt.
I paid for most of the stinger up front, but still financed maybe 1/3rd...but got in on the early covid 0% offerings. 0% is like free money...well, not free, but I don't really care about how long it takes given that it's fixed at zero. I did have to nearly fist-fight at the dealership to get them to honor all the dealer incentives, but yay for the dealer model.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I picked a good time for my 0% APR, 0 fee balance transfer shenanigans. Will buy in a bit more at market lows over the next few months in my taxable account, and in my tax-deferred accounts will continue to dollar cost average away.

This is a good thing for those of us who are

a) not renters
b) with fixed rate mortgages (or no mortgages like some of y'all)
c) 10+ years from retirement
d) not in a labile field likely to suffer layoffs (sorry, Coinbase peeps)

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I picked a good time for my 0% APR, 0 fee balance transfer shenanigans. Will buy in a bit more at market lows over the next few months in my taxable account, and in my tax-deferred accounts will continue to dollar cost average away.

This is a good thing for those of us who are

a) not renters
b) with fixed rate mortgages (or no mortgages like some of y'all)
c) 10+ years from retirement
d) not in a labile field likely to suffer layoffs (sorry, Coinbase peeps)
I don’t like that it has to be bad for some to be good for others. Also shit is just a pain in the ass now. It’s no fun if ya have cash if there’s nothing to buy and a bunch of kidwoos wanna burn it anyways.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don’t like that it has to be bad for some to be good for others. Also shit is just a pain in the ass now. It’s no fun if ya have cash if there’s nothing to buy and a bunch of kidwoos wanna burn it anyways.
True. But as stoney notes, people close to retirement were just being idiots if they were still highly exposed to the market (or, god forbid, crypto) at this point in the game.

There exist many idiots.

Last edited:

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Imma setup a mannequin on a dirtbike at a PCT trailhead with a stack of Sierra Club form letter complaints......but only one pen.

They'll have murdered each other over the one writing utensil in minutes.
there’s a portion of the pct I used to ride my bike on, it is some sweet single track. Leave a 1 inch dull pencil.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

junkyard

Sep 1, 2015
San Diego

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
theres a house up the hill that just came on the market for $725k. i was very wtf at that price for a house under 3ksqf and a stucco exterior until i saw the pool and outdoor area.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Dining with the poors.

We eat at IHOP regularly. When it's just me and the girls, probably 2x/month. I can get a meal for $10, 1 kid eats free, Haley eats my pancakes and then gets a side of eggs and bacon for $5. If I have credits in the Pancake Points program, I might get out for $10.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We eat at IHOP regularly. When it's just me and the girls, probably 2x/month. I can get a meal for $10, 1 kid eats free, Haley eats my pancakes and then gets a side of eggs and bacon for $5. If I have credits in the Pancake Points program, I might get out for $10.
///Ihop

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
but you being cheap is not a new development in this economy

:D

(good habit, though!)