Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

In today's edition of "nobody wants to work".

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Fed rate up .75%. Up to 3-3.25% range.

Some info on how drastic the changes we're seeing in Treasuries right now.

IMG_20220921_131847.jpg

Top line is now, just after Fed - 1yr at ~4.125%. Bottom is 6mos ago - 1yr ~3.2%. 80bps higher on the 1yr in 6mos. That's wild. Especially when you recall the 10yr was .5 in 2020.

Yield curve is inverted at ~1yr/10yr. Means you can get better RoR on very short term vs. 10yr+.

@eric strt6

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What is the shortest duration available?
1m T-bill. Right at 2.5% annualized. At that point though, a high yield savings acct makes more sense. You can get 2% with less effort and better access w/in the 1m.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
[whineybackseatvoice]uncle stoney....are we in a recession yet...?[whineybackseatvoice]

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
[whineybackseatvoice]uncle stoney....are we in a recession yet...?[whineybackseatvoice]
Sales are up. Hiring is up. Unemployment is still record low. Weird numbers for a recession.

Fed did say their terminal rate that was 4.6%, which is seemingly bonkers. But if that's what it takes to get Trump's inflation under control, that's what it takes.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Sales are up. Hiring is up. Unemployment is still record low. Weird numbers for a recession.

Fed did say their terminal rate that was 4.6%, which is seemingly bonkers. But if that's what it takes to get Trump's inflation under control, that's what it takes.
Don't worry Liz has your back.... if she can't drag the markets down no one can!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yesterday was fun... Got to explain to an older gentleman rambling on about "nobody wants to work" how the Fed actually did a study that found there are roughly the same number of people 18-55y/o working as pre-pandemic. It's the 55+ where there has been an exponential falloff and the population in that age group that works part-time is also incredibly low vs. historical numbers. So the real issue is that Boomers have stopped working, which is causing the labor shortages and corresponding inflation issues. I saw him glitch. He didn't know how to respond to it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yesterday was fun... Got to explain to an older gentleman rambling on about "nobody wants to work" how the Fed actually did a study that found there are roughly the same number of people 18-55y/o working as pre-pandemic. It's the 55+ where there has been an exponential falloff and the population in that age group that works part-time is also incredibly low vs. historical numbers. So the real issue is that Boomers have stopped working, which is causing the labor shortages and corresponding inflation issues. I saw him glitch. He didn't know how to respond to it.

I always like how not "wanting" to work is an insult. Most people don't want to work. Our entire lives are geared towards the accomplishment of reaching the point where you don't.

Anyway, yeah fuck that whole generation. All (white ones) benefitted from some of the most aggressive and progressive gov't housing, education, and business subsidization in history, and then act all belligerent like it was bootstraps

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i saw that too. what a bunch of fucks.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Also you should shoot him this one:

Or, you know... if he doesn't like to read:

1678472925810.png

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip> All (white ones) benefitted from some of the most aggressive and progressive gov't housing, education, and business subsidization in history, and then act all belligerent like it was bootstraps
My MIL and one of our family friends... and when we bring up their obvious privilege and how it *wasn't* bootstraps, they get indignant.

And oddly, for whatever reason (I suspect Fox news?), they are all hung up on the transgender "issue." Like that matters FUCK ALL to their lives. :mad:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My MIL and one of our family friends... and when we bring up their obvious privilege and how it *wasn't* bootstraps, they get indignant.

And oddly, for whatever reason (I suspect Fox news?), they are all hung up on the transgender "issue." Like that matters FUCK ALL to their lives. :mad:
My cousin is post-surgery transgender. Parents are super Fox loving conservatives. They don't see the disconnect.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My cousin is post-surgery transgender. Parents are super Fox loving conservatives. They don't see the disconnect.
I honestly think people get pulled so far into those rabbit holes that whomever is the hated demographic du jour is just some mystery population 'out there' somewhere doing horrible things, usually to children.

Zero connection to actual people, much less anyone they would encounter.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I honestly think people get pulled so far into those rabbit holes that whomever is the hated demographic du jour is just some mystery population 'out there' somewhere doing horrible things, usually to children.

My wife likes to bring up the fact that, as *women* they should have a little more empathy for whatever "those people" are facing. Discrimination, voter-suppression, etc.

There is a certain demographic that would like to see women NOT participating, in any of it, other than popping out kids and making me sammiches.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My wife likes to bring up the fact that, as *women* they should have a little more empathy for whatever "those people" are facing. Discrimination, voter-suppression, etc.

There is a certain demographic that would like to see women NOT participating, in any of it, other than popping out kids and making me sammiches.
Ironically one of the biggest drivers of the trans hate/grooming shit (libsoftiktok) is absolutely a woman.

a weird ass ultra religious cult woman

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Fascism always needs a Boogeyman.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wifey's cousin is very senior there (but not on the FDIC side). Her vacation just went *boom*.

Also just got into an argument with MIL1 that trading was stopped on all local Bay Area banks to stop a short attack on them. SVB bounced up at periods today - which was likely shorts covering. The short attack would potentially lead to a run on the bank, hence the trading stop. But they didn't stop bank access. She insisted that they stopped bank access, because people only watch the news and ignorance leads to panic... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ouch.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Americans who are morans:
True proportion: 85%
Estimated proportion: 12%

:D
we had some old friends who had a theory that 80% of people put there are assholes, 10% are tolerable, and 10% you'll like. have always been pretty on board with those numbers...they were from canada, so they might have even been being polite in their estimates. :rofl:

this thread also makes me glad i like my job. i actually don't mind working half of the time.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Wifey's cousin is very senior there (but not on the FDIC side). Her vacation just went *boom*.

Also just got into an argument with MIL1 that trading was stopped on all local Bay Area banks to stop a short attack on them. SVB bounced up at periods today - which was likely shorts covering. The short attack would potentially lead to a run on the bank, hence the trading stop. But they didn't stop bank access. She insisted that they stopped bank access, because people only watch the news and ignorance leads to panic... :rolleyes:
its like arguing on the internet...