Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what's the extra m?
Finance people came up with this amazing idea where the describe units by order of mangitude. But instead of adopting the metric notation of Kilo and Mega they decided that m =1000 so mm=1000x1000=1,000,000. Totally not confusing considering the rest of the world assumes m=mega=1,000,000.

I for one think the world would be a better place if we adopted metric dollar amounts. Kilobucks, Megabucks, Millibucks.

Last edited:
Finance people came up with this amazing idea where the describe units by order of mangitude. But instead of adopting the metric notation of Kilo and Mega they decided that m =1000 so mm=1000x1000=1,000,000. Totally not confusing considering the rest of the world assumes m=mega=1,000,000.

I for one think the world would be a better place if we adopted metric dollar amounts. Kilobucks, Megabucks, Millibucks.
10‍┌‍∩‍┐‍┌‍∩‍┐?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I set up my SoFi investment account today—already had a login from student loans. Waiting for $2,500 transferred in to clear then will waste some money on AMC and GME depending on how they’re doing that day. Pure speculation.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
But a million in Roman is an M with a line over it and MM would simply be 2000.
Yes, normally
C = 100
D = 500
M = 1000
Add a line over it and it becomes x 1000

100 000 etc, but for some reason I can't remember the world of Finance does it as MM for 1000x1000.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yes, normally
C = 100
D = 500
M = 1000
Add a line over it and it becomes x 1000

100 000 etc, but for some reason I can't remember the world of Finance does it as MM for 1000x1000.
No idea. It's been that way since I started in 2003.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Stolen from reddit

There's a rich kid in town. Let's call him Melvin. He thinks he's really smart. He finds a coupon for $5 off the new Nintendo Switch during the holidays with no limit on number of units. This is easy. I'll go ahead and sell the Switch now for $200 and then buy it for $195 with the coupon. Easiest $5 I'll ever make. He goes and tells all his parents' friends at the Citadel Country Club that he can get them the new Nintendo Switch for their kids. He collects $200 each from 200 parents. He now has $40K and will use that money to purchase Nintendo Switches for $39K. He'll have earned $1K in just a few hours. His parents will be so proud.

There's another kid watching Melvin this entire time. Let's call him Keith. Keith doesn't like Melvin. Keith is good friends with the guys over at Gamestop. He finds out that there are were only 100 new Switches shipped to the entire country. Keith and his 99 friends buy all 100 Nintendo Switches on the spot.

Later in the day, Melvin goes to Gamestop with his $5 off coupon and says, "I'll take 200 Nintendo Switches please." Gamestop guy looks at him and says, "Sorry, we're all sold out." Melvin goes to the next Gamestop. Same story. All sold out. He goes to all the Gamestops in the city and can't find a single Switch. He won't be able to fulfill the orders.

Meanwhile, Keith is telling all his friends about what Melvin promised the members at the Country Club. Nobody sell him the Nintendo Switch that you bought, no matter how much he offers you. Nobody likes Melvin, so everybody holds on to their Nintendo Switch.

Melvin is in trouble. His parents rich friends are all asking when they are getting their Nintendo Switch. Melvins parents are angry, but they don't want to lose their standing in the Citadel Country Club. They have to help Melvin gets 200 Nintendo Switches.

The price of Nintendo Switches in the city skyrockets. Melvins parents were able to get a few units from Keiths friends, but they had to pay really inflated prices for them, first $1,000, then $2,000, now $3,000. It's nearing Christmas, and every rich parent at the Country Club is desperate for the Nintendo Switch they promised their kids. They can't trust that Melvin will be able to get them one. They all start bidding against each other for Switches. Everybody in town is in on the action now. Everybody wants to get a Nintendo Switch to sell at the country club for $10,000. Meanwhile, Keith and his friends are just hanging out and playing Animal Crossing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Now it’s silver. I’ve got a bunch of coins, doubt I’ll become a millionaire over it though.
The WSB sub has been swarmed by brand new users drum beating SLV. Someone is probably implementing a bot campaign.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@AngryMetalsmith if Reddit goes off on silver, are you set?
Yeah, stocked up enough, hopefully. Definitely did a double take when I saw that headline last night. It’s not cool and could hurt a lot of smiths. Highest that I’ve seen silver was $40 per ounce. That was rough. The average consumer of fine craft doesn’t understand the dramatic increase in material cost which usually results in less profit for the maker because you can’t raise the price beyond a certain point.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
(Just a reminder: Whenever you see a ? In a URL you can 99.999% of the time delete/ignore everything following and including the ? itself as it is tracking meta.)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Surely, if this was provable, it would be illegal, yes?
Nothing is illegal in Russia, except for criticizing Putin, and being gay, but as long as the bots aren't anti-Putin homosexuals, they should be fine.

How does one sell silver? I have probably 25+ pounds of those stupid Franklin Mint 99.9% pure silver coins laying around, sure would be nice to cash in on some stupidity.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
where are the stonks now?
'thee' stonks? slowly rebounding. all the wsb stonks are up this morning, after a brutal few days.

1612375170773.png

(this was $428 Thursday morning at open)

edit: I know nothing of silver and/or gold, other than they're pushed too hard by old folks on fox news.