Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Here is an indicator of upcoming inflation. The local subway starts at $22.00 an hour. Peanuts. The best local pizza joint said "oh yeah? Watch this!"
They are paying $40 an hour with a $500 housing stipend per month, and a bonus if you stay through October. And possibility of a group health insurance plan for full time employees.
They haven't raised prices yet, but it's gotta be coming. The owner is a great guy, once I found his stolen bicycle and got it back to him, Pizzas were on the house for about a year after that...
How much is a pizza now?
$100?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Here is an indicator of upcoming inflation. The local subway starts at $22.00 an hour. Peanuts. The best local pizza joint said "oh yeah? Watch this!"
They are paying $40 an hour with a $500 housing stipend per month, and a bonus if you stay through October. And possibility of a group health insurance plan for full time employees.
They haven't raised prices yet, but it's gotta be coming. The owner is a great guy, once I found his stolen bicycle and got it back to him, Pizzas were on the house for about a year after that...
What an asshole.

The real way to solve his hiring problem would be to go on fox news and bitch about how stupid and lazy everyone is he's trying to court.

That's how real job creators "build this"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
rub the belly and wait for the pizza to come out?

I was thinking more like stab the sidepanels with those rope swing/log battering rams that the ewoks used and catch the pizza rain

I mean it looks like they built in the pizza stack

could be a pizza genie escape tube too now that you mention it

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
How much is a pizza now?
$100?
$32 for the one I love, called the Godzilla.
($25 in Big Sky)
I get it with crispy bacon added.

Huge ass slices are $4.00. They kill it in volume.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
However, if it weren’t for the Rockefeller’s, this place would be a strip mall infested, sprawling shithole. No exaggeration.
Maybe.

Now it's an amusement park slave state with a nice view. Is that better?

It's not like they were responsible for all the other national parks and public land that exist everywhere else. My point is that Jackson has a long history of sucking the dick of obscene wealth, just like the rest of the country. And tech bros are a symptom, not a cause.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
OK, we agree on a lot of this.
But we have to work with what we have, or build the guillotines.
You have a solution Besides that?
Well in Jackson's case, start taxing the fucks that all end up hiding there because their castles can be built and maintained there cheaper than literally anywhere else in the country. There's a reason the CEO of patagonia and Haliburton both end up in the same place. You know teton county courts those people, partly because it was established long ago that the rich will save the area, "just like the rockefellers did."

That article you posted has it all in there: we need to maintain a servant class as an amenity, and the local gov't sure as hell isn't going to do anything about it so here's a grant to do their job in a roundabout way.

Our problem here is a little different because our county boundaries all run east/west. People get taxed here but none of it gets spent here. It funds the cities down the hill, and all infrastructure is geared specifically to make it so that those people have amenities, local community here be damned. We both kind of end up in the same place however with regards to unlivable communities: not much tax base for the local community even though there's tons available. Jackson is a wealth service, we're an adjacent community funder.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well in Jackson's case, start taxing the fucks that all end up hiding there because their castles can be built and maintained there cheaper than literally anywhere else in the country. There's a reason the CEO of patagonia and Haliburton both end up in the same place. You know teton county courts those people, partly because it was established long ago that the rich will save the area, "just like the rockefellers did."

That article you posted has it all in there: we need to maintain a servant class as an amenity, and the local gov't sure as hell isn't going to do anything about it so here's a grant to do their job in a roundabout way.

Our problem here is a little different because our county boundaries all run east/west. People get taxed here but none of it gets spent here, it funds the cities down the hill. We both kind of end up in the same place: not much tax base for the local community even though there's tons available.
There is a major movement locally for a substantial tax on homes over $2 million, (admittedly, an arbitrary number) but you have to remember what state Jackson is in. Friends of ours are the ones that keep trying to push this legislation. But it ain’t gonna happen any time soon.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
There is a major movement locally for a substantial tax on homes over $2 million, (admittedly, an arbitrary number) but you have to remember what state Jackson is in. Friends of ours are the ones that keep trying to push this legislation. But it ain’t gonna happen any time soon.
I hear talk of the void oil and gas is leaving at UW. How long until the state goes after Jackson's pockets?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
So, just to give something for Woo to masturbate to with the schadenfrued, traffic is fucking insane right now. It was faster for me to go through GTNP from the Village than coming back through Wilson.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So, just to give something for Woo to masturbate to with the schadenfrued, traffic is fucking insane right now. It was faster for me to go through GTNP from the Village than coming back through Wilson.

I assume mostly fat sunburnt old white people pointlessly revving Harleys.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got pulled into a meeting last week as my company is trying to backfill my position from my last project, of which I left because of the horrible stress that was killing me. We cycled in two other people from within the company that quit because of the horrible working conditions. They wanted to hire someone with the exact experience required for the job, which maybe 10 people on the planet have, and 3 of us worked on the project and left. They also wanted someone without a degree or other desirable credentials so it would be harder for them to quit after they got sick of the horrible working conditions.

Started thinking I need to get away from those idiots I started looking for other jobs. Same shit everywhere. The only jobs that had reasonable requirements had pathetic pay scales, literally experienced professional engineering jobs offering to pay a little more than the local minimum wage.

More advanced jobs had such niche requirements that the only way to have the experience was to have had that job in that company for the past ten years. "must have experience with our home-grown software solutions"

My favorite was a company requiring design engineers to provide a design portfolio, which would be impossible if all your projects were with a company that required a NDA, and of which that company required an NDA.

Corporate America has lost their minds when it comes to recruitment and retainment of employees.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Corporate America has lost their minds when it comes to recruitment and retainment of employees.
But the stock price might go up a few points!

It's almost like we've created an unsustainable model....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But the stock price might go up a few points!

It's almost like we've created an unsustainable model....
I've had the best experience with companies that hire people because of their potential and creates and environment to develop the individual. Hiring someone who is looking to do exactly what they have done before and you end up with someone unwilling to grow in my experience.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I got pulled into a meeting last week as my company is trying to backfill my position from my last project, of which I left because of the horrible stress that was killing me. We cycled in two other people from within the company that quit because of the horrible working conditions. They wanted to hire someone with the exact experience required for the job, which maybe 10 people on the planet have, and 3 of us worked on the project and left. They also wanted someone without a degree or other desirable credentials so it would be harder for them to quit after they got sick of the horrible working conditions.

Started thinking I need to get away from those idiots I started looking for other jobs. Same shit everywhere. The only jobs that had reasonable requirements had pathetic pay scales, literally experienced professional engineering jobs offering to pay a little more than the local minimum wage.

More advanced jobs had such niche requirements that the only way to have the experience was to have had that job in that company for the past ten years. "must have experience with our home-grown software solutions"

My favorite was a company requiring design engineers to provide a design portfolio, which would be impossible if all your projects were with a company that required a NDA, and of which that company required an NDA.

I'm sure you've seen your share of mid 20s-mid 30's people come through. None of these people stay in jobs more than a handful of years. No one gets good at anything any more while the issue you describe is also going on.......

It's fuckin weird. And doesn't really work.

And likewise regarding my own recent job searching......

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sure you've seen your share of mid 20s-mid 30's people come through. None of these people stay in jobs more than a handful of years. No one gets good at anything any more while the issue you describe is also going on.......

It's fuckin weird. And doesn't really work.

And likewise regarding my own recent job searching......

Most of the people in their 20s and 30s that tend to pass through do better work than the people who have been doing the same job at the same place for 20 years. They pass through because they get sick of the bullshit or bored. The people who stick around doing the same thing for a long time are the ones that are happy to get paid to do something that has become mindless and easy for them. They are also the same people that fall on their faces when a novel challenge pops up, unable to accept the challenge or adapt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Most of the people in their 20s and 30s that tend to pass through do better work than the people who have been doing the same job at the same place for 20 years. They pass through because they get sick of the bullshit or bored. The people who stick around doing the same thing for a long time are the ones that are happy to get paid to do something that has become mindless and easy for them. They are also the same people that fall on their faces when a novel challenge pops up, unable to accept the challenge or adapt.
Goddamn, that's true everywhere. There are people that have been doing it for 20 years that can rise to the challenge, but they are few and far between and the more businesses beat them down and try to cut costs, the less they are inclined to do so.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Some, yes.

From what I've seen there's at least an equal proportion that come through to learn some key pharases to over inflate their competency for the next job application. I'm fine with people who are cool with their jobs. But the toadstool hoppers don't just leave because they're 'bored'. Some of the ones that have come through my world are genuinely shitty at learning things.