Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Goddamn, that's true everywhere. There are people that have been doing it for 20 years that can rise to the challenge, but they are few and far between and the more businesses beat them down and try to cut costs, the less they are inclined to do so.

I had a senior stress engineer who was supposed to buy off on one of my projects, it required a simple kinematic analysis. He threw his hands up and claimed he couldn't figure it out. I figured it out for him, it wasn't anymore difficult than was taught in any mechanical engineering program. He claimed he didn't understand what I had done. I asked one of our interns to solve the problem and he quickly replicated what I had come up with.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Some, yes.

From what I've seen there's at least an equal proportion that come through to learn some key pharases to over inflate their competency for the next job application. I'm fine with people who are cool with their jobs. But the toadstool hoppers don't just leave because they're 'bored'. Some of the ones that have come through my world are genuinely shitty at learning things.

Yeah, there are those people, but they are usually easy to filter out in the hiring process if you actually put some effort into it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I for one would be all over a position where a company so thoughtfully puts the effort into finding the right candidate

Position Title: Test Engineer IIIPosition Description: Protingent has an opportunity for a Test Engineer III Kent, WA.Job Qualifications:Bachelor' s degree in Mechanical, Aeronautical, or similar engineering from an accredited collegeExperience with CAD tools such as CREO, UG NX, CATIA3-5 years of applicable qualification test experience (structural or similar)Coursework/experience in mechanical designProficiency in Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, MS Project, PowerPoint)Aerospace or space related education/exposureDirect structural test experience of aircraft or large structures (planning, assisting, and/or running)Experience in designing and analyzing structural test equipment/GSE (or similar)Knowledge of Mechanical Design principles including Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD)Familiarity with analysis tools such as NASTRAN, ANSYS or similarHands-on test experienceAbility to work in a collaborative and team-based environmentAbout Protingent: Protingent is a niche provider of top Engineering and IT talent to Software, Electronics, Medical Device, Telecom and Aerospace companies nationwide. Protingent exists to make a positive impact and contribution to the lives of others as well as our community by providing relevant, rewarding and exciting work opportunities for our candidates.Benefits Package: Protingent offers competitive salary, 100% paid health insurance, education/certification reimbursement, pre-tax commuter benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO) and an administered 401k plan.
I would have to assume writing, communication and certainly sentence structure isn't a job requirement.

Word salad tosser

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Companies only want to hire people with 20 years of experience that can just snap their fingers and magically make things appear. Being trained/taught and being capable of more than you are hired at is not a thing. You are supposed to whore yourself out and pay other people to give you the experience necessary. Company that doesn't give a shit about employees gets employees that don't 'give a shit about company. Perfection.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Man I wonder in complete earnest if this has anything to do with the decline in pensions, actual functional health insurance and other clauses that used to be the norm for hiring qualified candidates :rofl:

couldn't be........

Thankfully when it comes to the positions of power that run this country we place great value in outsiders with no functional experience.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Reminder: Boomers do have it easier.

This would have pushed mandatory distributions from 70.5 at the beginning of last year to 75. RMDs are for forcing distribution of before-tax retirement funds, to make taxes be paid on them. Also reducing the penalty down to 10% means it might be more cost effective to eat the penalty vs. actually taking the distribution from a tax perspective. And pushing catch-up options up ONLY for Boomers? Yeah, that's pretty special there. Even if only to Roth, that allows for effectively limitless growth and non-taxed transfer of funds to beneficiaries.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Boy, the way Glenn Miller played
songs that made the hit parade
Guys like me we had it made
Those were the days
Didn't need no welfare state
ev'rybody pulled his weight
gee our old LaSalle ran great
Those were the days
And you knew who you were then
girls were girls and men were men
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover* again
People seemed to be content
fifty dollars paid the rent
freaks were in a circus tent
Those were the days
Take a little Sunday spin
go to watch the Dodgers win
Have yourself a dandy day
that cost you under a fin
Hair was short and skirts were long
Kate Smith really sold a song
I don't know just what went wrong
those were the days

GDP Growth Under Trump Was the Worst Since Hoover

I guess those tax cuts DIDN'T pay for themselves this time (or ever...) but here come the Republican deficit scolds (cucks?) who are "suddenly worried" about inflation

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Reminder: Boomers do have it easier.

This would have pushed mandatory distributions from 70.5 at the beginning of last year to 75. RMDs are for forcing distribution of before-tax retirement funds, to make taxes be paid on them. Also reducing the penalty down to 10% means it might be more cost effective to eat the penalty vs. actually taking the distribution from a tax perspective. And pushing catch-up options up ONLY for Boomers? Yeah, that's pretty special there. Even if only to Roth, that allows for effectively limitless growth and non-taxed transfer of funds to beneficiaries.
Boomers make up 28% of all eligible voters (as of the 2020 election), but hold 53% of all assets.

Millenials, by contrast, make up 27% of all eligible voters, but hold only 5% of all assets. Thats roughly 7x less than Boomers held at the same age. Good stuff.

No real surprise lawmakers pander to Boomers. They know where their bread is buttered.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is possibru

Grand County apparently had a STR regulation debate yesterday. No word yet.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Companies only want to hire people with 20 years of experience that can just snap their fingers and magically make things appear. Being trained/taught and being capable of more than you are hired at is not a thing. You are supposed to whore yourself out and pay other people to give you the experience necessary. Company that doesn't give a shit about employees gets employees that don't 'give a shit about company. Perfection.
Invest in people? UnAmerican.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Boomers make up 28% of all eligible voters (as of the 2020 election), but hold 53% of all assets.

Millenials, by contrast, make up 27% of all eligible voters, but hold only 5% of all assets. Thats roughly 7x less than Boomers held at the same age. Good stuff.

No real surprise lawmakers pander to Boomers. They know where their bread is buttered.
My baby boomer parents are quite concerned that keeping their motorhome on the road for a summer now costs about 12K in gas and park fees, they can remember when it was only about 8K.

You might wonder if global warming is a concern for them? It is not. They recently installed solar that runs a 3rd AC unit to keep the cat cool while they are out for the day. They no longer have to worry about the generator running out of gas on hot days when they have no access to outside electricity.

I had suggested the cat be left with the house sitter (who they are already paying) so they wouldn't need to run the climate controls 24/7... not an option since the cat might miss them plus it would take the motorhome too long to cool down...

Real concerns, real people.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
My baby boomer parents are quite concerned that keeping their motorhome on the road for a summer now costs about 12K in gas and park fees, they can remember when it was only about 8K.

You might wonder if global warming is a concern for them? It is not. They recently installed solar that runs a 3rd AC unit to keep the cat cool while they are out for the day. They no longer have to worry about the generator running out of gas on hot days when they have no access to outside electricity.

I had suggested the cat be left with the house sitter (who they are already paying) so they wouldn't need to run the climate controls 24/7... not an option since the cat might miss them plus it would take the motorhome too long to cool down...

Real concerns, real people.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In a sign of mountain town Armageddon, both Subway and Starbucks closed here due to no staff. They both tried close to $20 an hour, but no one would work there. And my neighbors three doors down just rented their house (long term) for over $8000 a month.
That said, I have never been to the Starbucks, and have only been to the Subway twice.
But yeah, it’s getting even tougher for the average Joe And Jill.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Soon Jackson Hole Gentrification Basin will look and function like vail on a much larger scale.

Nobody lives there, all 'service' commutes in and out, only dining is high end shit that targets the semi-residents.... All the while none of it really has anything to do with why the town became a cool place to visit in the first place (the outdoors, which are mostly just an inaccessible pretty backdrop now)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In a sign of mountain town Armageddon, both Subway and Starbucks closed here due to no staff. They both tried close to $20 an hour, but no one would work there. And my neighbors three doors down just rented their house (long term) for over $8000 a month.
That said, I have never been to the Starbucks, and have only been to the Subway twice.
But yeah, it’s getting even tougher for the average Joe And Jill.

How are white people supposed to function without their pumpkin spice lattes?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
How are white people supposed to function without their pumpkin spice lattes?
LOL

right now there are like a dozen 25yr olds smashing pumpkins in the back of the stores, cranking on artisan bellows in a furnace to dry them out, hand grinding the organic nutmeg, and hand splitting the cloves all to produce the true, authentic version that costs 19 bucks, and pays the kid 8/hr

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've come to appreciate the entirely reliable system we've developed.

ridemonkey: somewhat earnest discussion of topic

SS/Nick: how does this affect what I put in my face? :rofl:

;)
Hey man, I wasn't the one to bring up the sandwich crisis. I'm just trying to survive.

Are you skiing this year? Let's go ski Jackson, I'l make you pb&j.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey man, I wasn't the one to bring up the sandwich crisis. I'm just trying to survive.

Are you skiing this year? Let's go ski Jackson, I'l make you pb&j.

Sell them out of the back of your car like it was the parking lot at a Dead show.

2 for $5, 3 for $7!