Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
And here you have why I'd rather go to the Alps..... Or Japan.
A friend of mine who teaches economics at Yale (and I know just because he comes out here to ski some big peaks) moved to the us from germany for that job about 5-6 years ago. He actually did a full breakdown on what it costs for an american to ski in the US vs traveling to the alps. It was pretty interesting the way he broke down ease of reservations/transportation/food etc but it was fucking cheaper to Europe and ski........ridiculous.

rideit: franzobermeyer on TGR

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
View attachment 165001

I'll meet you in driggs with two snowmobiles, give you some shuttle laps and make it patently clear why I don't go to ski areas anymore :)
Jesus christ, I remember remember when an "expensive" lift ticket cost 40 bucks. Sierra Ski Ranch was usually just fine for me, but Kirkwood was the same price and better terrain. When I wanted to feel like a high-roller, I went to Heavenly and 40 bucks...

Thank god we are making 4.5x more now...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
How the Paradise/Panama Papers didn't lead to a 1000% increase in guillotine sales continues to baffle me. People literally died to make those documents public.
Today we'll see the release of a follow up, the Pandora papers. Larger in scope and collaboration, let's see what goodies are in there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Im sure there are good jobs out there, because I’ve got one and we’re hiring.

People today would undermine a general strike by finding online gigs and side hustles.

I’m not saying that folks shouldn’t jump from the frying pan. I’d just like to read a few stories about where they’re landing (or think they’re going to land). Or, is this a lot of “taking my hall and going home” puffery and media fluff.
More like this

Literally too many going on right now to post.

There's some real funny shit going on at John Deere right now

Those are just some organized ones. It's already been happening for months but misrepresented as a "worker shortage"

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But Holz said the construction company instead tried to offer Florida's minimum wage of $8.65 to start, even though the wage was scheduled to increase to $10 an hour on September 30. He added that it wanted full-time availability, while scheduling only part time until Holz gained seniority.

Construction work, outdoors in Florida is fucking brutal 9 months out of the year.

It just goes to show what kind of infrastructure is setup to provide a mythology of victimhood to the smallbidnssownrz™ we're all supposed to ass kiss.

Fux news et al provide an easy narrative of being the govt's fault, gives them something to complain about and absolve responsibility, and the cycle repeats....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What is 'reasonable'? $30 an hour? As westy said, there is a amall percentage that won't work service for any price, but they obviously arent sweating the rent.
The correct price is that which fills the open jobs stably. Clearly we haven't reached that point of equilibrium.