Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Maybe because people cant afford to live there on the wages paid?
Interesting data point: most franchises here have failed, and pulled out of town due to labor costs (and the seasonal nature of the sales, five months in summer, and four or less months in winter. )
all failed:
Starbucks
Ralph Lauren
The Gap
burger King
KFC
denny’s
A&W
Taco Bell
KMart
Village Inn
Sunrise Donuts
Jamba Juice
Subway
Pizza Hut
etc, etc.
And that has just been since I arrived!
the problems of everyone wanting to be here, but that don’t need to work, are so systemic there is no real fix besides a total economic reckoning. The lack of housing inventory is due to there only being 1.5% of the county being developable, and most of that is tied up in rural acreage minimums. It’s WY, that won’t really change in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
TBF, the franchise failures were also the result of being locked into National pricing models and promotions, with many, many times the rent and labor being paid here to simply operate (unprofitably), as compared to ’normal’ locations.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
TBF, the franchise failures were also the result of being locked into National pricing models and promotions, with many, many times the rent and labor being paid here to simply operate (unprofitably), as compared to ’normal’ locations.
seems like the kind of thing a fella could research before hand

Jackson deserves itself. Just like all these other honkey disney lands beautiful mountain towns.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I can’t stand it, and I’m not defending it. Just pointing out that it’s more complicated than just ‘pay everyone more!’.
Subway tried that, and couldn’t make the rent.
I do agree that's it's not just wages in a place like Jackson. The problem is way more the town the rich fucks were allowed to create than some sMaLl bUsInEsS oWnEr trying an unsustainable model to extract more from the town.

It's not really that complicated though. And it would be solved if they paid more. But the kind of people who try to open a subway usually aren't that bright. And they sure as shit didn't make their attempt at bidness owner in order to solve town problems. They're there for the same reason the ski area is....to pull more money from it. It's done. It's over.

Time to raid some mansions, break some windows, do some spraypaint redecoration of the town......give the perception of crime.

It's the only thing that effectively brings down property values from rich shits screwing everything up. :)

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Should be interesting to watch how the new big guys are going to do it, with:
Target (possibly the smallest one in the country?)
Whole Grocer
REI
Black Diamond
TJ MAXX
And a few others I can’t think of.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This will warm your cockles, woo

Yep checks all the boxes for manufactured consent

-"resource damage"
-"fire danger"
-mentions unsightlyness

All the bullshit an agency comes up with to get the rich fucks in town to support their actions.

Fuck the forest service.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I bought Popeyes tonight

tried the Megan Thee Stallion Hottie Sauce even

I am supporting the Local Economy, yes

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
holy smokes, she owns Popeye's franchises? rideit, get yo girl on the phone, she has $$$. Jackson's spicy chicken and delicious but near lethally dry biscuits problem is SOLVED.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
holy smokes, she owns Popeye's franchises? rideit, get yo girl on the phone, she has $$$. Jackson's spicy chicken and delicious but near lethally dry biscuits problem is SOLVED.
Nah, she doesn't own them. Collaboration. Publicity for both.

Related: while listening to Apple Music One driving up to the mountains the other day I heard them interview JoJo and Megan Thee Stallion. JoJo was super articulate and self-aware, talking about her struggles with depression and anxiety. I'm not going to go listen to her music or anything, but I was impressed.

Megan Thee Stallion was merely very energetic. But she seemed like her heart was in the right place, and her description of a sweet yet spicy sauce sounded good enough to get me to try it.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I can’t stand it, and I’m not defending it. Just pointing out that it’s more complicated than just ‘pay everyone more!’.
Subway tried that, and couldn’t make the rent.
If its such an expensive town... maybe there is no market for cheap food?. I mean, you´d probably have a hard time selling 1 sol bread n avocado breakfasts inside Golf Los inkas.

If the market would sustain $30 footlongs... there would be enough money for wages.
If the market doesnt sustain $30 ftlongs, yet the population is wealthy enough to afford them... maybe there is just no market to serve?

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Are you getting paid for ad placement with this?
Usually I'd listen to top pop on Amazon Music or the like. Those have no commentary and interviews, just a playlist (that unfortunately repeats too quickly). The Apple variant is like a radio station. DJs, commentary, interviews. Some of it is annoying but at least it isn't so repetitive.

If its such an expensive town... maybe there is no market for cheap food?. I mean, you´d probably have a hard time selling 1 sol bread n avocado breakfasts inside Golf Los inkas.

If the market would sustain $30 footlongs... there would be enough money for wages.
If the market doesnt sustain $30 ftlongs, yet the population is wealthy enough to afford them... maybe there is just no market to serve?
They need to brand their footlongs as artisanal, voila, problem solved

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004

Oh, don’t be fooled, the parade of white trash rolling through this town in the summer on their way to yellowstone is a spectacle! The rich here like to ‘blend in’ (carhartts, trucks), so getting cheap food is a part of the ‘Everyman’ vibe. And all the workers will eat anything, at all, under $9.00.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh, don’t be fooled, the parade of white trash rolling through this town in the summer on their way to yellowstone is a spectacle! The rich here like to ‘blend in’ (carhartts, trucks), so getting cheap food is a part of the ‘Everyman’ vibe. And all the workers will eat anything, at all, under $9.00.
"common man" as a fashion choice

^this man speaks the truth

"uh sir, you just stepped out of a bentley and are fighting me for the quarter I just picked up so that you look authentic"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Interesting data point: most franchises here have failed, and pulled out of town due to labor costs (and the seasonal nature of the sales, five months in summer, and four or less months in winter. )
all failed:
Starbucks
Ralph Lauren
The Gap
burger King
KFC
denny’s
A&W
Taco Bell
KMart
Village Inn
Sunrise Donuts
Jamba Juice
Subway
Pizza Hut
etc, etc.
And that has just been since I arrived!
the problems of everyone wanting to be here, but that don’t need to work, are so systemic there is no real fix besides a total economic reckoning. The lack of housing inventory is due to there only being 1.5% of the county being developable, and most of that is tied up in rural acreage minimums. It’s WY, that won’t really change in the foreseeable future.
See, should have opened a Walgreens, that's where the money is. Old geezers with money need drugs!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You know who they are cause they like to wear Carhartt until it comes time to do Carhartt shit.

Maybe I should open up a Carhartt franchise in Jackson. Pay laborers $30/hr to wear the clothes and beat them up a bit, then sell it with some of that blue collar patina to the rich pretenders for $$$.

Last edited: