Sep 21, 2001
As bailouts for the airline industry are bandied about keep this in mind:

View attachment 142135
20200315_224527.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah but those yachts and islands ain't going to pay for themselves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i consider myself fortunate that i can do my job remotely pretty much indefinitely and have no changes in concerns about job security at this time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i consider myself fortunate that i can do my job remotely pretty much indefinitely and have no changes in concerns about job security at this time.

I cannot see how my company will not have massive layoffs. I should be safe from that but would probably be sent back to the factory.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've been working remotely for the last 5 years and unless I do something dumb to get fired my job is secure. Wife who works in marketing for sports/entertainment stuff won't be as lucky.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1700 new cases in NYS alone today. Fucking brutal. Most likely due to increased availability of tests. If that is the case we should assume the number of infected people is at least twice as bad as previously expected. This will make it difficult to see if isolation is working as just as we should be seeing improvements, the numbers are going to go haywire.

Had tests been available sooner, action could have been taken sooner, reducing the economic impacts. You can't blame Trump because there was a pandemic, but shit stain's shitty leadership will make the economic toll and number of deaths a lot worse.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
now is a good time to forgive college debt....

and maybe....just maybe....tell the credit card companies to cut the shit with outrageous interest rates....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
One unintended consequence of all this will be that we will have a natural experiment of how much influence central bank actions/policy can actually have given very poor underlying fundamentals (due to demand collapsing worldwide simultaneously). They will throw everything in the books at this.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
One unintended consequence of all this will be that we will have a natural experiment of how much influence central bank actions/policy can actually have given very poor underlying fundamentals (due to demand collapsing worldwide simultaneously). They will throw everything in the books at this.
With over a decade of QE and low interest rates (or both in Europe), it looks like their arsenal was rather blunt and ineffective even before the crisis started.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thinking I might take some cash and buy Dollar Store and Dollar tree. Because sales there are going to go through the roof...but they might have supply problems?
You're looking at near term re: supply chain. Those things price in almost immediately.

edit: Also the price has barely changed since Feb. Everybody knows dollar stores and Wal-Mart do really well in recessions while Target and Costco do worse (look at market sector and assume they shop down one level in a recession).

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You're looking at near term re: supply chain. Those things price in almost immediately.

edit: Also the price has barely changed since Feb. Everybody knows dollar stores and Wal-Mart do really well in recessions while Target and Costco do worse (look at market sector and assume they shop down one level in a recession).
Well, gee, puncture my bubble of thinking I am a genius. Thanks, thanks a LOT.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Well, gee, puncture my bubble of thinking I am a genius. Thanks, thanks a LOT.
cook out fast food chain maybe.....strictly drive thru with some patio seating..

all the ones i have seen around here have been packed