Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wall Street appears to be loving the unemployment figures.
Economics makes no sense to me any more. Dilute the currency, prices will go up due to inflation. Economy is collapsing and there is no way to increase sales, prices go down.

I haven't looked lately, but how is the volume? @stoney likely knows...
In line with the last few weeks, but not higher than the down days.

moderately positive, at least until our President* speaks again.
PX is up, volume is flat to slightly down. But yes, dumbfuckery.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Have I posted about this in another thread?

That sweet, sweet stimulus check you may be anticipating…

… is just a 0% loan from your future self at tax filing next year to you in May.

As in if you get a $1,200 check in May then your potential refund will be $1,200 less on your next tax return.
:thumbsdown:

Both my wife and I will be receiving $1,200 checks on accounts of having our combined income in 2018 and/or 2019 falling under the threshold, but this is a super lame way to do it.

If you wanna stimulate the economy, why not give everyone $5K, or at least an amount that could actually make a difference. We'll be paying it back anyway...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:thumbsdown:

Both my wife and I will be receiving $1,200 checks on accounts of having our combined income in 2018 and/or 2019 falling under the threshold, but this is a super lame way to do it.

If you wanna stimulate the economy, why not give everyone $5K, or at least an amount that could actually make a difference. We'll be paying it back anyway...
Because most people won't realize that and get blindsided when they don't get their big tax return or owe taxes (I know it's not taxable). Also, that means more for corporate.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Now that I re-read that section it's possible that said credit won't be clawed back, and that it will actually be "free" in some sense.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I found TP last night and generally the supermarket was pretty much abandoned, while being stocked with most everything I wanted, like all the douchebags are at home living on their MREs for the next few months. Was great.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I found TP last night and generally the supermarket was pretty much abandoned, while being stocked with most everything I wanted, like all the douchebags are at home living on their MREs for the next few months. Was great.
Oh! I totally forgot that I have a box of backpacking food from Mountain House. When I've run out of everything else I can always get into my backpacking food.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As part of my company's performance Management plan we get ranked for retention once a year, which sets the order of layoffs if they happen. Boss told me I got the highest score in my job code. So if it gets real bad, I'll be responsible for turning the lights out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Those are perfect for this. Lots of calories and you only shit once every 3 days.
I think they are *only* 1000 or so calories/meal? It's really not that much, unless you eat like a bunch of other stuff at the same time. On the Iditarod trail earlier this month, we would eat like 2 meals in a row at a lodge, or one meal + one mountain house, to get enough calories. I was questioning bringing the mountain houses and having a few sent in drop-bags, but once I saw what was really required for calories, I was pretty happy carrying around 3-4 of them at all times. Imma go check ride now cuz I have a bunch lying around (for The Apocalypse now).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think they are *only* 1000 or so calories/meal? It's really not that much, unless you eat like a bunch of other stuff at the same time. On the Iditarod trail earlier this month, we would eat like 2 meals in a row at a lodge, or one meal + one mountain house, to get enough calories. I was questioning bringing the mountain houses and having a few sent in drop-bags, but once I saw what was really required for calories, I was pretty happy carrying around 3-4 of them at all times. Imma go check ride now cuz I have a bunch lying around (for The Apocalypse now).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

A pretty shocking number of unemployment claims. The NYT’s layout was brilliant from a design standpoint for how it illustrated its magnitude. See the sketch of how this was planned.