Quantcast

The Economy (2020/21)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Housing prices have actually gone up here. Lower interest rates means higher prices.
Yeah, I know. And builders only want to make massive 5000sq ft houses that maximize profit margin. Really need the bottom to drop out of this "buy a house for investment" bullshit.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh noez, teh trickle downz!

What does that even mean, like only 2 new teslas this year? Only 3 $400 dollar dinners this week?

I don't care what they do until it amounts to "here, I'll pour the foundation for the stick upon which you can put my head in 30minutes"

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Come on man, you know this more than most. That's what EVERY rich douchebag in the hamptons and vail says ;)
Nah. We're solid upper-class income, but not rich. Rich people can live off their investments.
Edit: read the article while mostly awake this time - apparently CNBC defines rich by income not net worth. In that definition, yes, and that exactly explains our reduced spending - dining, going out, etc

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@kidwoo perhaps nothing new, but a fresh way of looking at it. Health Insurance Shouldn't Be Tied to Employers https://nyti.ms/3dEYHQR

The part where they say that if the American health care system we're it's own country, it would be the world's 4th largest in terms of GDP, is mind boggling to me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's such a god damned racket.

I'm che fuckin guevara when it comes to the topic of socialized medicine. I have and do use the healthcare system probably a little more than most people via breaking myself but I can't imagine the shit show this is dealing with covid.

Or anything common like cancer for that matter........

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's such a god damned racket.

I'm che fuckin guevara when it comes to the topic of socialized medicine. I have and do use the healthcare system probably a little more than most people via breaking myself but I can't imagine the shit show this is dealing with covid.

Or anything common like cancer for that matter........
A coworker who has been laid off with his last day being Thursday, is looking bat a possible cancer diagnosis for his wife tomorrow. If they only had bootstraps.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A coworker who has been laid off with his last day being Thursday, is looking bat a possible cancer diagnosis for his wife tomorrow. If they only had bootstraps.
COBRA. It isn't cheap, but 18m of availability. I use it with retirement planning because it's better for equal cost of private plans. Let's you retire at 63.5 with health insurance I told Medicare kicks in.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Some more good news:

“The United States printed more money in June than in the first two centuries after its founding,” Morehead wrote. “Last month the U.S. budget deficit — $864 billion — was larger than the total debt incurred from 1776 through the end of 1979.”

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Some more good news:

“The United States printed more money in June than in the first two centuries after its founding,” Morehead wrote. “Last month the U.S. budget deficit — $864 billion — was larger than the total debt incurred from 1776 through the end of 1979.”

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MONEY!!!

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Six to mine months from now, we'll be wishing for merciful zombies.
How much will home equity be worth during a zombie apocalypse? Asking for a friend.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
But how's your 401k?
Unfortunately, these permanent cost cutting initiatives are only going to widen the disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street — the belief that the stock market is either disconnected from reality or that it is a quiet cheerleader for layoffs because it will boost the corporate bottom line.
The good news is investors are reaping the benefits, and may even continue to do so.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Local republican candidate was on the street-corner today as I was riding home.

So I asked him what he'll do to make houses cheaper.

He said "did you say houses and not housing?"

Me, "yep".

None of his ideas seemed feasible, more than that he seemed caught off-guard by the question, as everyone with houses just wants the price to go up and the barrier to entry to get higher and higher...

I hope he's on the corner tomorrow, I have more questions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Local republican candidate was on the street-corner today as I was riding home.

So I asked him what he'll do to make houses cheaper.

He said "did you say houses and not housing?"

Me, "yep".

None of his ideas seemed feasible, more than that he seemed caught off-guard by the question, as everyone with houses just wants the price to go up and the barrier to entry to get higher and higher...

I hope he's on the corner tomorrow, I have more questions.

Want cheaper houses, drive up interest rates. The cost with a mortgage will stay the same but the house price will be a lot less. Killing off boomers with Covid should also help.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Read the article and all the supporting referenced articles - specifically the K-shaped recovery. The data is very reminiscent of 2007 every other pre-bubble burst.

Soaring Stock, Home Prices Will Help The Economy Recover - Bloomberg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
His ex-wife is a badass.
Scott, who has a personal net worth of more than $60bn

Having 60 dollars and tipping 4 dollars does not make you a badass. Especially when one "dollar" buys you a fucking neighborhood.

The funny part though: that still makes her way more human than that monster cueball she married.