Quantcast

The Effects of Mountain Bike Wheel Size on XC Performance

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I LOVE technicals!!! Manhattanprjkt83 will tell you... everything we ride has to have tight switchbacks, rocks, and LOGS... MUST HAVE LOGS!... there isn't anything my 29'er cant handle nor has it been a hinderance. anyone that test rides one for an afternoon and is going to tell you his or her opinion about it, has no idea what they are talking about. It took me 2 rides just to get used to the geometry of the new bike let alone the fact I was pushing bigger wheels.

29'ers are not for everyone, they are however for me right now.
here is a review I wrote up about my bike a few weeks back,
http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8503
I know it is a little long but it may shed some personal light on the whole issue, from an unbiased view. (I get everything at cost, and If I don't like something I can sell it for what I have into it, and have the experience of riding it!)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
Still waiting almost 12 hours later...............LOL

its hard to say really... official time has only been kept for the last 2 years and the 1st year the course was different...

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
its hard to say really... official time has only been kept for the last 2 years and the 1st year the course was different...
So then your assertion that the "course record" (which the course has traditionally changed from year to year, but we'll set that varialbe aside right now) was somehow a result of the record holding racer riding a 29'er cannot be validated.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
So then your assertion that the "course record" (which the course has traditionally changed from year to year, but we'll set that varialbe aside right now) was somehow a result of the record holding racer riding a 29'er cannot be validated.

All I said was the course record was set by a guy on a 29er... who cleaned up in a field of majority 26ers.

I guess we'll see how it stands this yea, yeah.?

Last year's results:

1. 4:39 (29er)
2. 4:55 (???)
3. 5:00 (???)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
All I said was the course record was set by a guy on a 29er... who cleaned up in a field of majority 26ers.

I guess we'll see how it stands this yea, yeah.?

Last year's results:

1. 4:39 (29er)
2. 4:55 (???)
3. 5:00 (???)
When your fat ass beats the field of normal bikes on a 29'er I'll convert. Of course I'm not sure if they will even sell me a 29'er because:

I am not over 40
I have no tattoos or piercings
I do not live in Pennsylvania
I use normal handlebars
I do not ride in old type wool jerseys.
I have no urge to be different like everyone else.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
N8 you can ride whatever you want. Be Happy. I've even considered the 29'er titus racer-x for riding around here. It's a killer bike, but my concern is more for support more than anything else. It's not easy to get strong 29'er wheels, and forks, and tires.

Just ride.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Reactor said:
N8 you can ride whatever you want. Be Happy. I've even considered the 29'er titus racer-x for riding around here. It's a killer bike, but my concern is more for support more than anything else. It's not easy to get strong 29'er wheels, and forks, and tires.

Just ride.

Not much of a concern these days... lots of choices now and more on the way.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so N8, here's the burning question:

what was yr main factor in getting a 29" bike? were you figuring you were too slow on the 26"? wanted to be different? got a good deal? ordered the wrong thing but were too embarrassed to take it back?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
so N8, here's the burning question:

what was yr main factor in getting a 29" bike? were you figuring you were too slow on the 26"? wanted to be different? got a good deal? ordered the wrong thing but were too embarrassed to take it back?

Fit, feel, comfort, enjoyment and the bigger wheels fit the size of the frame need for my long legs and tall stature unlike this custom Ti Litespeed from a few years ago... :(

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Ya know, N8 is starting to sound a bit like Marshall defending the 24" rear wheel. N8 is just as :confused: but not as :angry: as Marshall was.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
Not according to these calculations...