Quantcast

The EMD 9 is Done - Maiden Voyage scheduled for tomorrow!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Took her to a fellow riders house and picked up Mary, then over to Pedal Power in Middletown, CT - where the cool guys there took her in and finished her off last night while I waited. Bill and Spencer at Pedal Power were super cool. My original plan was to drop it off and pick it up on Friday morning, but they just took care of everything right on the spot while I hung out and chatted with them.

If you live in CT - I can't recommend PP enough. Great customer service! Something that's somewhat lacking in the Greater Hartford Area - at least in my opinion.

I got home about 9:30 last night and hadn't had dinner, so I haven't snapped many good shots yet. But here are a few I took before leaving for work this morning. Man it was hard to leave her in the garage like that - I was Soooo tempted to play hooky today - but I'll take care of that tomorrow!

Here she is:

Quick Rundown on Specs:
Medium EMD 9 frame (thanks mtbtom!)
Reba SL Fork
Wheels - XT Discs laced to WTB Dual Duty rims with DT Swiss spokes (built by George at www. bike29.com)
Avid bb7 mechanical disc brakes
Avid Speed Dial Ti Levers
SRAM 9.0 shorty grip shifters
Mary Bars
Titec stem - for now
Guizzo Carbon Seatpost (Kalloy) thanks to Orven and Shyrmp
Specialized Strongarm II cranks - ebay find - they'll do for now and look good on the frame
XT bottom bracket
Shimano chain - courtesy of the guys at Pedal Power
XT cassette - 11-34
LX front derailleur - went for value here I guess
SRAM ESP 9.0 rear derailleur - needs to be replaced but should get me by for a few months
Fizik Nisene Saddle
And currently I've got some Exiwolfs mounted with some Bonty Tubes inside. (May change out to some Specialized Fast Traks tonight)

Can't wait to get her out to Grayville tomorrow to ride. New bike, and new trails for me - should be a blast

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
since I won the award....whoot whoot, I will now be serious...

thing looks sweeeet! I loved my Reba fork... while I was riding the Paragon. I think that was the best feeling RS product I had felt to date!

any reason the bb7's instead of juicy's? (or just cost/what you had on hand?) I have worked on the BB's (5&7) but have only ridden a Surly 29" set up with BB7's (and they weren't set up right)! Just wondering if you had noticed something about them that you preferred over Hydro's!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
since I won the award....whoot whoot, I will now be serious...

thing looks sweeeet! I loved my Reba fork... while I was riding the Paragon. I think that was the best feeling RS product I had felt to date!

any reason the bb7's instead of juicy's? (or just cost/what you had on hand?) I have worked on the BB's (5&7) but have only ridden a Surly 29" set up with BB7's (and they weren't set up right)! Just wondering if you had noticed something about them that you preferred over Hydro's!
I bought the bb7s based on price and performance reviews. I've never owned Avid Hydros, but the Hayes I did own for a while were maybe marginally better than the bb7 mechanicals.

A 7" rotor wouldn't be a bad thing on this bike - but for now the 6" will have to get the job done up front.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I bought the bb7s based on price and performance reviews. I've never owned Avid Hydros, but the Hayes I did own for a while were maybe marginally better than the bb7 mechanicals.

A 7" rotor wouldn't be a bad thing on this bike - but for now the 6" will have to get the job done up front.
right on!

I will say that, the douchebag that cut down that live tree on that trail a while back bought a 575 identical to mine except for the brakes, he has Hayes on his, and when I rode his I wasn't that impressed! My rotors are larger than his, but I still like the feel of the Avids (be it cable or hydro) better!

Nice build up, when is the maiden voyage gonna be with all the rain we in the North East are supposed to be getting?