Quantcast

The end is nigh. Vail swallows up the big one.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't see how N* (or any other Tahoe resort really) could pull off the kind of summer over-night stays they'd need to justify doing heavy bike park investment to their share holders.
If only there were some very large metropolitan area near Tahoe that had a huge mountain bike community...maybe even a metropolitan area that was so into mountain biking you might say it was invented there, and that numerous bike companies base there operations near there.

But seriously, if a Tahoe resort can't justify builing a world class bike park, no where can. Tahoe is already a huge destination. It should not be hard to leverage that into becoming a bike park destination.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If only there were some very large metropolitan area near Tahoe that had a huge mountain bike community...maybe even a metropolitan area that was so into mountain biking you might say it was invented there, and that numerous bike companies base there operations near there.

But seriously, if a Tahoe resort can't justify builing a world class bike park, no where can. Tahoe is already a huge destination. It should not be hard to leverage that into becoming a bike park destination.
What do you think their golf course costs for initial investment and maintenance per year? How about number of visitors/users of that golf course?

The seemingly logical question is how do those numbers compare to their bike park......but it's a bogus question because they hired professionals to build and maintain their golf course so there's no valid comparison there. So I really wish mountains (and some of the people in this thread) would realize that.

They're certainly reaching :rofl:

desperation.JPG

They just don't see one of the answers sitting right underneath their noses.

Gem panning :rofl:

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
What do you think their golf course costs for initial investment and maintenance per year?
A metric sh!tload on both fronts

How about number of visitors/users of that golf course?
A moderate amount. Probably less than the bike park

They just don't see the answer sitting right underneath their noses.
The bike park isn't part of the "summer fun zone"? :disgust:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Exactly. But it's gotta be a quality ride experience. That's the point a lot of people are trying to make here. Running the lifts and opening the bar without investing the time or money in good trails is just not enough. It should start with the riding, first and foremost. Make rad trails and the people will come. The infrastructure for all the other money-making stuff is already there at most mountains, sitting idle all summer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What do you think their golf course costs for initial investment and maintenance per year? How about number of visitors/users of that golf course?
Don't even get me started on the retardation that is golf... :mad:

But you know... if you're gonna be a player in teh resort world... you gotta have a golf course.

Just ask the C-level execs.

:D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just had an idea...

mountains should put in road courses, so the roadies can come and ride a closed road (no cars) in the mountains. those fvckers spend money hand over first like its a game.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i just had an idea...

mountains should put in road courses, so the roadies can come and ride a closed road (no cars) in the mountains. those fvckers spend money hand over first like its a game.
Yeah! It would be super rad to hang out with those folks. And make sure those closed roads are lift accessible!

herbman

Monkey
Feb 16, 2011
North West Tasmania
You think that's true for winter park? Honest question, I've only driven by it in the summer on the way to sol vista but I know that's what everyone in CO with a trail bike talks about. I just ask because it's the one mountain that seems to consistently stay involved with their park.

Again though: until you have a place that has actually put the work in for bike infrastructure, you can't really use the fact that existing bike parks don't draw the crowds yet as some kind of proof of concept failure. Like I said at the very beginning......half ass the park, get the lukewarm result you deserve. Hire lifty holdovers because they're cheap and they 'have a mountain bike' and you're going to get the trails you pay for.

I'm noticing the only people with this argument as some kind of proof are ones that likely haven't been anywhere but US bike parks lately. So of course this seems like some crazy concept. You haven't seen the opposite in motion anywhere. I have.......for the last 13 years.
In Central Otago NZ, most the ski fields had a go at running a lift over summer. But they only tended to build one to two trails and wondered why they didn't make any money.
Where as skyline already had a number of trails that had been built by the locals to plug into and then invested in more trails. They have been going stronge for over 5 years now and it seems to have become the whistler of the off season.

The big difference to me was the numbe and type of trails, to keep people coming and handing over $$$ they need a reason to come back. Riding the same trail all day is not a reason to come back day after day.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
agree 100% re: number and type of trails being essential. it's why i won't take the time/spend the $ to go to beech-adding one more trail and tinkering with the existing two or three just ain't gonna cut it.