Quantcast

The end of an era....Blurgirl no more

(aka, thread closure)

after 4 years of riding my friend here,

she's now for sale.....

because THIS lil beauty arrived today:

I got home later than I wanted to, but managed to put most of it together.

For those of you who doubted I could do it.... :)

after 2.5 hours I was exhausted so I'm headed to the shop today to have the steerer tube cut. While I'm there I'll just have them size the chain and adjust the derailleurs. After that, she's ready to rock and roll.

Thanks for all the help!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nice!

a couple of hints which could negate the trip to the store:

1 - use two old stems as guide points for where you want to cut the steerer tube, and as BV said, use a hacksaw and you'll be done in no time. that does still leave you needing to set the star nut, however. the park tool is not a tool you use all that often, but it's essential when you do need it.

2 - for chain length, the rule of thumb i always used was to wrap the chain around the largest ring and largest cog, and add two full links.

i haven't done a bike build in ages, but it's usually a mix of frustration and elation (and sometimes a quick dash to the shop to get a ferrule or bolt or the like).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
1 - use two old stems as guide points for where you want to cut the steerer tube, and as BV said, use a hacksaw and you'll be done in no time. that does still leave you needing to set the star nut, however. the park tool is not a tool you use all that often, but it's essential when you do need it.

2 - for chain length, the rule of thumb i always used was to wrap the chain around the largest ring and largest cog, and add two full links.
re #1: I never would have thought to use stems as a guide when cutting the steerer - I may give that a try. I need to get the steerer trimmed down on my road bike. I have a hacksaw, but they're boring. Can I use my reciprocating saw instead, or is that asking for trouble?

re #2: you're absolutely right. SRAM recommends doing just that on their site, though I can't remember if it's add 1 link or two, but either way... The key is to NOT wrap it around the derailleur - only the largest chain ring and the largest cog.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC is in a bit of a time crunch if she wants to ride this bike tomorrow (or tonight, perhaps). She's taking it to the shop for 10:00 this morning so they can help her with a few things she isn't quite as comfortable doing. Plus, they'll give the bike a lookover to make sure everything is properly in place.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
re #1: I never would have thought to use stems as a guide when cutting the steerer - I may give that a try.
just use stems you don't really care about, because if the blade drifts you could get some marks on the side of the stem. cosmetic damage only, but just sayin'.

park does make a nifty steerer tube cutter which a friend of mine has, but i don't see the need for it really.

i've heard of people using pipe cutters, but the trusty old hacksaw works the best imo; not sure about the reciprocating saw, but i don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you keep the cut straight. just bevel the cut edge w/ a file after yr done, and you are good to go.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
good job ...that looks like a sweet bike.....don't you live in CT. maybe for a couple cases of beer you could throw a bike together for me..when you build like that would the whole frame just depend on your travel.?????..and everything else for the most part be universal??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jacksonpt said:
re #1: I never would have thought to use stems as a guide when cutting the steerer - I may give that a try. I need to get the steerer trimmed down on my road bike. I have a hacksaw, but they're boring. Can I use my reciprocating saw instead, or is that asking for trouble?
I'm sure a reciprocating saw would work fine if you clamp the steerer in place and use a fine tooth blade. I've used the stem trick in the past, but this time around when I built my Sovereign, I just traced a circle around the steerer and cut it by eye... I found it was pretty easy to keep the hacksaw straight on such a small cut.

As narlus said, make sure you have a fine metal file kicking around so you can bevel off the rough edges. It's not critical but if your components are high quality and a tight fit, it'll make things easier.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Be your own LBS, go get a pipe cutter. You know the ones that have the 2 little pizza cutter wheels that you tigthen/turn/tighten/turn. My big one cost $10 and cuts through a steerer tube in about 20 seconds with very little effort from me. It usually leaves a tiny sharp lip that I file off with a metal file.

As for the star nut... You can use a large bolt with 2 nuts screwed onto the end with just enough threads showing to thread the star nut on. Take it slow and you can get it in perfectly straight... if it starts to go crooked just pull it hard with 1 hand as you tap it in, that will straighten it right out. I did my last 2 builds and my new fork like this and it worked great. The park tool cost like $100 (F that for a tool that you use once evert 2-3 years).

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
and it's only 3.99 lbs.
eh - weight isn't such a big deal to me... I've got an 04 TALAS R, but the thing I like about the 07s is the additional travel and the 3-click travel adjustment.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You guys don't understand - MBC and IAB have a great relationship with the shop they frequent. Why risk cutting the steerer tube on a damned expensive and gorgeous fork in your garage, when you can have the mechanic do it for you with the proper tools and with years of experience doing it?

Gorgeous bike MBC!!!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
MMcG said:
You guys don't understand - MBC and IAB have a great relationship with the shop they frequent. Why risk cutting the steerer tube on a damned expensive and gorgeous fork in your garage, when you can have the mechanic do it for you with the proper tools and with years of experience doing it?

Gorgeous bike MBC!!!
we use a hacksaw and a vice that holds the Park guide thing.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
building it up right I see!:thumb: thems are some good parts I see! that fork will really match up well with the rear shock!

Looks great! Congrats... its been a long time coming hasn't it!