Quantcast

The End of Democracy?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/21/campaign.finance.ruling/index.html?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court has given big business, unions and nonprofits more power to spend freely in federal elections, a major turnaround that threatens a century of government efforts to regulate the power of corporations to bankroll American politics.
A 5-4 conservative majority crafted a narrow overhaul of federal campaign spending Thursday that could have an immediate effect on this year's congressional midterm elections. The justices eased long-standing restrictions on "independent spending" by corporations and unions in political campaigns.
will votes mean less now?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So much for Roberts and Alito's claims of holding up established precedent... Gee, that's a surprise.

In this ruling, the justices also nullified earlier rulings upholding the core of a 6-year-old federal law aimed at curbing corporate campaign spending.
Wonder where all the teabaggers are with regards to activist judges overturning the will of the elected representatives?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yes, your politicians will now resemble NASCAR drivers as they debate on the Senate or House floor. No longer the Senator from New Jersey or Representative from Nebraska but the Senator from Microsoft or Congressman representing the northeast market of Phizer.

Your vote or will has never meant anything to them once they get elected.

As for the SC ruling. This broad interpretation of First Amendment rights belonging to a group (corp or union) is crap. Now, what's to stop the legislation by business market or worse yet, finish erasing that faint line between church and state and let the Six Flags over Jesus churches stake their claim.

This ruling is fvcked either way you look at it.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yes, your politicians will now resemble NASCAR drivers as they debate on the Senate or House floor. No longer the Senator from New Jersey or Representative from Nebraska but the Senator from Microsoft or Congressman representing the northeast market of Phizer.

Freedom®, brought to you by Carls Jr.™ .

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
will one of the mods please amend the thread title with the following: " Brought to you by Carl's Jr™" pretty please?

when i read the original news, i threw up in my mouth a little bit. our forefathers are spinning in their graves

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
So much for Roberts and Alito's claims of holding up established precedent... Gee, that's a surprise.
You mean Roberts lied during his hearings? Shocked I am...

This seems to be something that everyone here agrees is a horrible ruling. How often does that happen?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Eight years of hard luck, Bush comin' down on me
From the Florida border, yes, up to Nashville Tennessee
I showed up to every protest you can name, yessuh, every demonstration
Along come Justice John Roberts, sayin' he is going to represent me

Want you to take our donation
Want you to take it today
Gonna give you lots of money
Workin' for UCA