Quantcast

The End of the Rainbows:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Today's yield:

About an hour on the water sent me home with these tasty morsels.

Who knows a good trout recipe?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Barely legal trout. Sweet.

Fillet, then pan fry in too much butter, preferably over an open fire, pepper and lemon to taste.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Here's what I invented...it's glorious:

BS's Cashew Trout:

Filets
2/3 cup olive oil
handful of smashed cashews
sprinkle in rosemary leaves
sprinkle in some lemon pepper
hit the filets w/ garlic salt

fry the sh*t out of it. OMG, its great!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I just went to the store and bought 2 overpriced talapia fillets. They didn't have any trout. I'll be broke and hungry tomorrow because of you. Cool thread asshole.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I just went to the store and bought 2 overpriced talapia fillets. They didn't have any trout. I'll be broke and hungry tomorrow because of you. Cool thread asshole.
I am taking a fish culturing class right now, and learning alot about tilapia. Apparently you can raise them in bathtubs in your basement if you're so inclined, and they will make it just fine. Pretty neat and tasty little critters.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Tilapia are bottom feeders aren't they.

I was taught to soak them in milk to remove impurities before cooking.
Perhaps naturally they are, but 99% of tilapia at the market are commercially cultured, and therefore fed a formulated pellet diet. I doubt impurities are a real concern, but then again, in some south american countries, where tilapia are really popular, I can see why people would want to do that because they dont have the standards we have here.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I fried them up in olive oil and just salt and pepper. I was watching the flyers comeback and was distracted. They were well done on one side lets say.... Tater tots made up for it though!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Perhaps naturally they are, but 99% of tilapia at the market are commercially cultured, and therefore fed a formulated pellet diet. I doubt impurities are a real concern, but then again, in some south american countries, where tilapia are really popular, I can see why people would want to do that because they dont have the standards we have here.

Actually I think they did a bit on tilapia on "dirty jobs". They raise other fish like trout and have the tilapia feed on the trout poop.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually I think they did a bit on tilapia on "dirty jobs". They raise other fish like trout and have the tilapia feed on the trout poop.
Well, even if that's the case, it's still the same formulated diet the trout get (ie. ground up leftover trout parts after processing) after only more "processing" step. :biggrin:

People get all bent out of shape by terms like "bottom feeder" (hehe, that's kind of funny now that I think about it) but if the stuff is farmed, it's not like mercury poisoning is going to be an issue. Flesh is flesh, who cares what they eat? What the hell does a pig eat?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I am taking a fish culturing class right now, and learning alot about tilapia. Apparently you can raise them in bathtubs in your basement if you're so inclined, and they will make it just fine. Pretty neat and tasty little critters.
OK, now TN has to know more about this. Can you email me your notes from class?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Oh yeah, I remember that now.

I'm going to stick to the milk soak. If nothing else it helps with the taste.

BTW if you fry tilapia with a batter made from a 50/50 mix of flour and corn meal it won't be as greasy as a straight flour batter.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, even if that's the case, it's still the same formulated diet the trout get (ie. ground up leftover trout parts after processing) after only more "processing" step. :biggrin:

People get all bent out of shape by terms like "bottom feeder" (hehe, that's kind of funny now that I think about it) but if the stuff is farmed, it's not like mercury poisoning is going to be an issue. Flesh is flesh, who cares what they eat? What the hell does a pig eat?
It doesn't bother me. As long as the fish is properly gutted none of that stuff ends up on your plate. Either way I don't think fish bacteria can't hurt humans anyway, not like pork or poultry.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I fried them up in olive oil and just salt and pepper. I was watching the flyers comeback and was distracted. They were well done on one side lets say.... Tater tots made up for it though!
"Blackened" Tilapia is usually what they sell at the restaurants.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That is why sushi quality fish=frozen at some point. Freezing kills the ass worms.
Yeah and for the second disease I posted what BS said too:

Humans are thought to be more at risk of Anisakiasis from eating wild fish than farm-raised fish, because the grinding process used for pellet food for farmed fish kills the parasites. A 2003 study by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations found no parasites in any farm-raised salmon, in contrast to wild salmon in which parasites were frequently found[citation needed].

Many countries requires all types of fish with potential risk intended for raw consumption to be previously frozen to kill parasites.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
There are a ton bacteria but to start out with larger life, average size tapeworms of 10 meters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphyllobothriasis
From the above link:

Prevention

Avoid ingestion of raw freshwater fish. Adequate cooking or freezing of freshwater fish will kill the encysted fish tapeworm larvae. Also, because human feces is an important mechanism for spreading eggs, proper disposal of sewage can cut down on infection of fish and thus of humans.

I'm not certain, but I don't think there is any such thing as fresh water sushi. But since you seem to be all knowing, you will surely inform the rest of us.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
those look like stocker size trout.

???
They are. Waters where I live are stocked in winter and the trout die off by June as water temps hit 70, except in the tailwaters below dams (ie. mitigation fisheries).
The hatchery is actually right up the road from the house.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jesus, at that price we'd have to eat tilapia for every meal for ten years to make our money back.
Well Im talking tanks and everything...if you use kiddie pools and trash cans, you could do it for the cost of a pump and some PVC. Also, dont forget you can sell it to mexicans. They love tilapia. You could make your money back quickly that way.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
They are. Waters where I live are stocked in winter and the trout die off by June as water temps hit 70, except in the tailwaters below dams (ie. mitigation fisheries).
I was wondering if the water was cold enough to let them spawn

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Well Im talking tanks and everything...if you use kiddie pools and trash cans, you could do it for the cost of a pump and some PVC. Also, dont forget you can sell it to mexicans. They love tilapia. You could make your money back quickly that way.
around '92 the band I was in was looking for a van to use for touring and we ended up buying a work van from a guy who was retiring from roofing... he looked a little young for true retirement, and when we asked a few questions about his ponds on his property he told us his new master plan for "breeding and selling this amazing fish called talapia" I thought the guy was nuts... but he seamed to have it all figured out! he had a large pole building with all kinds of large tanks and some filtering systems as well. I have no idea how the guy made out on the deal at this point, but sounds cool, thanks BS :thumb: pretty cool info!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Brilliant. They put them in the river so they can die. I guess it's for the fishermen. :think: We do that with armadillos here, but we don't use the river and they don't die. Actually, we don't do that with armadillos here, but I was trying to relate.