Quantcast

The epitome of all that is wrong: my race bike.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I thought I'd post this up to stir up some feedback. This is my DH race bike, I've been on it infrequently for about 6 months now, it's a whole lot of fun.

Kona Scab frame
2004 Shiver
Doublewide 24+26 on crapper hubs
BMX cranks + sprocket + stainless steel chain
Budget tensioner, spaced out cassette hub
Avid cable discs, tektro levers. I rely on squishy cable outers to give what some might call "modulation"
FSA bar, Kona post, SDG seat, Oury grips, Wellgo pedals
50lb :dead:
I swear, I'm not a hucker either... it was just a suprisingly convenient spare-parts bike that came together. It makes for a great race bike in rough open tracks, doesn't like changing direction too easily though, the ~63degree head angle might have something to do with that :think:
Upgrades to come: the fattest tyres I can find for cheap (probably Duro front to match the 2.7 rear) and Hayes mag brakes.
This bike must be close to the antichrist of RM fanboyism, and I love it :heart:
Elitist racerboys, flame away!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I like it! I really like the white rims on that blue frame. I know a lot of guys who ride bikes similar to that and destroy me (an many others) even on rocky-ass trails.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
i know a 100 lb kid who busted that same frame riding street w/ a single crown. have fun though, i had a triple clamp ht and loved it for trail riding.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
The only real problem would be the massive dent in the down tube.......or the shiver waiting to rip of ur headtube...i unno ur pick.

Hahaha, this reminds me, one of my friends had a Le Toy 3 set up with Monster Ts for a while, then this one time we put a 12 in wheel in the back off some pixie bike, and a 26" with a Gazzi in the front. THEN we put BMX bars on it.....in retrospect it was a huge waste of time.

-Ryan

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Dudes at races on Hardtails get hammered there is something wrong with your head and don't give me the hardtail pride **** it is exactly the same as entering a model T ford in the indy 500. You wanna waste your time by a phat sack and lowrider.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Slider said:
Dudes at races on Hardtails get hammered there is something wrong with your head and don't give me the hardtail pride **** it is exactly the same as entering a model T ford in the indy 500. You wanna waste your time by a phat sack and lowrider.

You sir, are an idiot. Hardtails go FINE at dh races, mainly because there's a HARDTAIL CLASS. Besides that, it's cheaper, more reliable, and heaps of fun.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
We have hardly any hardtailers in NSW, but Victoria seems to have alot. There's no hardtail pride or anything like that, I just can't afford to buy a decent dually and the last one I had I broke.
I race for fun and nothing more. But suprisingly enough, I manage to place mid-field in "Expert", but there's one other guy racing hardtail (coincidently enough, another Scab) and he places top 15 in big races. I envy his skill, that's for sure.
Ride what you can, and enjoy it. And that's what I do. It's insane belting down a mountain trying to chase my fully-suspended friends, but fun at the same time. I have a very ragged riding style, always on the limit of control, and having a singlespeed hardtail accentuates that lack of control... but that's part of the rush. No way does it teach me how to be a better bike handler, that's for sure, all it does is allow me to plow in to and off stuff without fear of killing components.
The handling is very slack, but funnily enough the Scab makes for a good DH bike (better than it's intended purpose as a street/jump bike) due to relatively long stays and toptube. Kona are great for making bikes with messed up geometry, it's slack even with the stock 400mm rigid fork. I do suffer greatly on tight corners but once things open up and get rough the bike excels.
Oh, and I'm not too worried about killing the frame, it's had alot of punishment (as you can see), but the strength of the frame is outstanding. If anything, it'll crack at the chainstay/BB junction, where it's suffered severe denting from borked sprocket grinds. That isn't an issue that bothers me, as it'll be replaced by a race dually in the next 6 months, and relegated to a fun bike. But hey, that doesn't say that there isn't something wrong with my head, so you're probbly right :evil:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Rik said:
No way does it teach me how to be a better bike handler, that's for sure
This is the only thing I disagree with here.

Cool bike, have fun.