Quantcast

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
I've been trying to get in touch with the guys at evil, no answer on the phones, I tried a few times, maybe I haven't tried hard enough? looks like if I get a frame from them it'll be a bitch to get tech support and spare parts right?.
So what's up, I need to contact them here maybe?; S.K.C do you have the phone number that works? what about sharing them for us mortals that need some bikes ;-)

foets

Chimp
Jan 12, 2010
The "delta" system has nothing to do with the axle path or braking.
It does increase unsprung weight and the number of bearings though. That's always good. ;)
The shock itself also works just the same as if it were anchored at one end.
My understanding is that the "Delta System" is the name of the new linkage that the Revolt uses. Since the linkage allows the rear end of the bike to have suspension I would assume that how the linkage works has plenty to do with the axle path as it moves through the 8 inches of travel.

I am well aware that the shock works in the same way as when it is anchored at one end, I'm interested to know WHY it is floating as I'm sure there is a reason beyond adding extra bearings:thumb:

As for braking I was wondering if having this so called floating shock helps with brake jack or any other adverse effects that braking can have on suspension performance.

Also the weight of the frame, i've read and heard so many contradicting things i just need to know now.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
My understanding is that the "Delta System" is the name of the new linkage that the Revolt uses. Since the linkage allows the rear end of the bike to have suspension I would assume that how the linkage works has plenty to do with the axle path as it moves through the 8 inches of travel.

I am well aware that the shock works in the same way as when it is anchored at one end, I'm interested to know WHY it is floating as I'm sure there is a reason beyond adding extra bearings:thumb:

As for braking I was wondering if having this so called floating shock helps with brake jack or any other adverse effects that braking can have on suspension performance.

Also the weight of the frame, i've read and heard so many contradicting things i just need to know now.
The 'DELTA' system has nothing to do with the axle path. That is completely determined by the placement of the main pivot.

'DELTA' does has something to with the shock rate.

The braking characteristics are again directly related to the pivot placement and also how the brake tabs are oriented on the swing arm.

P.T.W

Monkey
May 6, 2007
christchurch nz
The Revolt is just a single pivot with a linkage activated shock, the swingarm pivots round a arc which is dictated by the main pivot which is situated just around the top of the chainring...all the linkage does is act on the Reservoir end of the shock.
I am well aware that the shock works in the same way as when it is anchored at one endI highly doubt this, I'm interested to know WHY it is floating as I'm sure there is a reason beyond adding extra bearings:thumb:I'm pretty sure DW designed the shock to be floating so he could optimise the wheel rate and progression curve, while allowing for geometry adjustment without upsetting said curve. Oh despite what others may say...there are no "extra bearings" count the total pivot points on most other single pivots with a linkage activated shock

As for braking I was wondering if having this so called floating shock helps with brake jack or any other adverse effects that braking can have on suspension performance.Noooooo the linkage ONLY acts on the shock not the rear wheel, therefore has no effect on the braking geometry of the rear suspension

Also the weight of the frame, I've read and heard so many contradicting things i just need to know now. Honesty dude all these question and much more can be answered by reading the relevant threads on here or even by looking at the Evil website
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I've been trying to get in touch with the guys at evil, no answer on the phones, I tried a few times, maybe I haven't tried hard enough? looks like if I get a frame from them it'll be a bitch to get tech support and spare parts right?.
So what's up, I need to contact them here maybe?; S.K.C do you have the phone number that works? what about sharing them for us mortals that need some bikes ;-)
I've had no problems reaching them, I usually email gabe directly.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
getting tech support from them has never been a issue nor has getting parts from them as well.
have you tried emailing them? they seem to respond pretty quick to emails

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Also can anyone tell me how much the frame weighs with shock included? I'm getting a new ride this year and since I'll prob run the same gear on whichever frame I get so the frame is the only thing that will really effect the weight.
IIRC my large (ano black) with 300lb steel spring was 11.8lbs.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sorry for the late response guys - classes are winding back up again.

OK - like Rice and Ohio said, try emailing Gabe at EVIL. PM me for his addy, or shoot me a PM with your question and I'll pass that along.

As for a deep explanation of DELTA here's what dw had to say:

From EVIL's "Tech Crap" section :D :

http://www.evil-bikes.com/#/000118/page

The DELTA system was conceived to, among other things, achieve very complex leverage rate curves that can be used to tune for varying track conditions, spring, and damper parameters. The dual progressive leverage rate curve was developed for coil sprung downhill applications to take advantage of the speed sensitive shocks on the market. Mechanically, the system uses very compact links that can achieve a lot of angle and velocity change through the travel. We can tailor the leverage rate curve to really take advantage of the shock's valving and the way that a speed sensitive damper is designed to work. Ultimately the design achieves a high degree of suppleness early in the travel, with a very predictable high traction stage through the middle and a bottomless ramp at the end of the travel.

The whole suspension system, every attribute, is developed concurrently with each other, with the shock absorber, and with the bike's intended use and geometry in mind. Main pivot location was carefully chosen to give the best balance of acceleration and braking performance. This careful positioning lets the bike accelerate without the need for excess damping, which in turn helps us push the limits of shock setup as far as possible to achieve ideal damper setup for any World Cup track.

One of the biggest advantages of the system is its ability to let riders and mechanics adjust frame geometry without changing leverage rate and wheel rate at all. Additionally, different link kits can be used to make drastic changes in the bike’s feel. These link kits are something that Evil’s World Cup athletes will take advantage of to fine tune for the drastically different race courses that they compete on over a race season.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
they called us back already I'd took a couple of days but is fine.., great people to deal with, and looking into getting some frames from them pretty soon!, very stoked to work with a rider own company.
thanks for the answers, and yes I'll email them next time.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
These dudes have a hot frame right now. It takes time to reply or call all the peeps beating their door down... Our shop just turned in the dealer agreement. Pretty exciting! (For me especially...)

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
it's been a while lol, been waiting on emails, lots of bla bla bla, but no prices for dealership, no forms nothing, hot frame or not, Evil bikes need to answer quicker:rolleyes:.
don't sweet it I'll just get a Legend :thumb:
happy trails!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Trek - on behalf of EVIL, my apologies for this. I thought things were taken care of, but I think this is a miscommunication issue of some sort. I'll do everything possible to help you and your shop get this issue resolved.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
it's been a while lol, been waiting on emails, lots of bla bla bla, but no prices for dealership, no forms nothing, hot frame or not, Evil bikes need to answer quicker:rolleyes:.
don't sweet it I'll just get a Legend :thumb:
happy trails!

I am confused.

Are you trying to become a dealer so you can buy bikes from Evil and then SELL them to you customers? Or are you just trying to get yourself a frame cheap by calling yourself a "dealer".

I only ask because you said "don't sweat it, i'll just get a legend".

Hopfully SKC helps you get yourself a frame. I am sure Evil will get your sorted.

TrekBro

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Greensboro NC
that's right, since there was no Evil Bikes dealer on our area, we're more than happy to carry Evil Bikes in the dirty South . The shop that I work for Re:cycles is a small core rider owned shop, that only carries two big cool bike brands, like Kona and Bianchi; and boutique type bikes like Banshee & Transition, and after signing the papers we'll be Evil Bikes dealer.
I said I would get legend since we're Banshee dealer, and like Evil, Banshee is a rider own company, both company's have really good people working behind and really good products, I like the Legend a lot but the Revolt is very nice also, I'll get one for sure and build it properly, I don't race much but I manage to make it to a few races during the season, it will be sick!
The build will include a Revolt with a CCDB, I9 wheels or hadleys, 888evo ti, some race face and hope brakes... can't wait!!!
feedback and pics will be up soon.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
quick search of pinkbike showed this. Cut THE front fender ziptied to the stays

I finally got round to modifying my old THE fender as well. I thought tyre clearance was a little poor just zapping it to the stays so did a little bit of work with the dremel. Pretty happy with the results. Will see how well it works tomorrow.

Before any says... Yes I know my bike's dirty!

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
hows that CCDB? mine should be here next week. what size spring are you using?
It's crazy good. I never tried the RC4 but the CCDB feels planted and is always predictable unlike the DHX5...

I'm 205lbs with kit. It's a 375lb. Just about perfect really. I tried a 350 ti and a 400 steel but neither were quite right so went with the obtainium.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm 205lbs with kit. It's a 375lb. Just about perfect really. I tried a 350 ti and a 400 steel but neither were quite right so went with the obtainium.
i went with a 450# spring and im about 220lbs w/ all my crap on

do you have the black sleeve on the shock? did you run into clearance issues with the adapters for the obtanium spring?

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
No I specifically asked Malcolm not to put the sleeve on as the extra width of the obtanium spring means it never gets close. I chose to use the thrust bearing as well just in case. Personally I don't think it make much difference but it should reduce the amount of spring deflection.

No clearance issues with the obtainium. The adapters were a tight fit but easy enough to click into place by hand.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
yeah i asked him to not install the sleeve as well because i read on here about the obtainium springs.
cant wait to get it and start dialing it in

Bjarte

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
I`ve seen geometry charts that lists head angle as 63-65 degrees, and others with 64-66. which is the current one (for the 2010 models)?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do you have the EVO ti yet? If your bike's gonna have this set-up, I'd love to hear all your impressions. :thumb:
no, my old 888 should be back to them next week and then ill be getting the new fork.
i think Bullcrew said the new inventory should be in next week too, so it all works out.
my DB gets in Wednesday too:thumb: