Quantcast

The Evolution of the Zerode G-1 in Pictures

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

Take a brief walk with us down the history line of the Zerode G-1, from conceptualization to the final production photos. This year the frame will be available, so have a look at where it has come from.
---

Photos Courtesy of Zerode Bikes

We’ve heard the news that the new Zerodes will be rolling out in limited numbers relatively soon, so we figured it’s time to take a look at where the bike has come from. You can check out this thread for all the discussion, and I mean all the discussion, but here’s a quick visual look at how things have evolved, from the beginning to the now.

Before all else, it starts on paper. It's a lot of math and trial and error.

The workshop is where it all comes together for Dodds and Metz. Here, Rob is working out the kinks in the real world, not just on paper.

One of the first prototype versions of the DH bike. Less visually appealing, for sure.

The company, consisting of James "Dodzy" Dodds and Rob Metz, started with both trail bike and DH versions. Here sits one of the early steel versions of the trailbike.

Things evolved to monocoque top front triangles and skinnier chainstays, while the gearbox idea remained the same. One of the main goals all along has been to isolate suspension from pedaling feedback, and they've been working towards that goal steadily for over four years.

Then things start to get sexy...

Four years of prototyping later, including a second place at the NZ Champs, the Zerode G-1 has come to final and full fruition. It will retail fro 3400 USD.

G-1 features:

Gearbox
Offers instant shifting whether pedaling or coasting, coupled with low maintenance, with and reduction in unsprung weight (the weight attached to moving suspension parts. In this case, the swingarm).

High Pivot
Offers an upward and backwards wheel path for bump absorption.

Zerode Pedaling Geometry
Zerode claims its design balances the effects of weight transfer, traction forces and chain force to eliminate pedal bob without using chain tension or pedal platform shocks, while also enabling the suspension to be fully active.

Here Dodzy gets on board the final model to do some shredding, enjoy.

[fblike]http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3612046#post3612046[/fblike]

Attachments

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Is the shock reservoir sticking outside the frame up front a problem if you hit a rock? Could the shock be mounted upside down to fix that? Just wondering. :hmm: Super cool looking bike though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there's another thread that covers your questions... and many others.

no the shock can't be mounted the other way due to clearance issues.

they're working on CF covers for the opening in the frame for the shock. or someone is

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Yeh, when I saw the thread had over 500 posts, I was like, screw that. Quicker to post here and get you guys to come running with an answer to satisfy my immediate need. :D

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
I don't see why the shock can't be flipped over. Why not make the 'fork' in the down-tube a bit higher and/or wider to accommodate the reservoir coming down from above?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Made a neat little guard for the shock out of a used XC tyre, weighs nothing and is plenty tough enough. Problem solved. Even looks good. Zerode are aparently working on a guard anyway. I think my mate will keep the tyre option as the bike is so stealthly quiet.