Quantcast

The Exorcist steps conquered on my DRZ!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
I know some of you on here are supermoto riders and motorcycle riders in general so you should appreciate this. Went and rode this today, holy hell was it scary.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
I think I'm missing something here.
What you are missing is how steep they actually are, as well as narrow. Not to mention a 300lb Motorcycle trying to flip you over the bars. Someone posted up this challenge a little over 2 years ago on one of the supermoto forums and quite a few have showed up to do it but backed out. They are so steep that the frame on my DRZ bottomed out hard on each of the landings.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah its too bad they are so damned expensive!
The sticker shock is a bit much. But seriously, do the math. Not sure what incentives you have in your area, but in Oregon and with Fed help, it's about $3500 off. So the price is about $10k.

$10k is a lot, right? But no oil changes, no gas (the electric worked out to be about $70 a year @ 10k miles a year), and the only other replacement parts are the same as a gasser (tires, chain, sprocket) it works out to be about dead even after a year.

<edit>Not to mention the BRD parts spec is top notch. So if you upgraded your DRZ to WP or Ohlins suspension and OZ wheels, your DRZ would be about $10k and you would still have to pay for gas.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The sticker shock is a bit much. But seriously, do the math. Not sure what incentives you have in your area, but in Oregon and with Fed help, it's about $3500 off. So the price is about $10k.

$10k is a lot, right? But no oil changes, no gas (the electric worked out to be about $70 a year @ 10k miles a year), and the only other replacement parts are the same as a gasser (tires, chain, sprocket) it works out to be about dead even after a year.

<edit>Not to mention the BRD parts spec is top notch. So if you upgraded your DRZ to WP or Ohlins suspension and OZ wheels, your DRZ would be about $10k and you would still have to pay for gas.
Well said! But you still gotta lay out all the cash, which is why I can't get in line right now and will be rocking my DRZ for a while longer. :thumb:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Well said! But you still gotta lay out all the cash, which is why I can't get in line right now and will be rocking my DRZ for a while longer. :thumb:
Its a cool concept and would be great if its "range" was upped. I am psyched with my DRZ and all the mods that are done to it. It is such a fun bike.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Its a cool concept and would be great if its "range" was upped. I am psyched with my DRZ and all the mods that are done to it. It is such a fun bike.
The thing people don't seem to realize is that the bike as is gets about 2 hours of riding per charge (my commute is 20 minutes). You will get about 3 years out of the battery pack and the replacement will be a large chunk of change. But the best part is that when the battery needs to be replaced, the replacement will likely be much higher in capacity = more range.

Battery technology is improving still. The same can be said for the motor. I can't rebuild a motor, but I can replace a battery. :rofl:

Now I want to bomb some stairs!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
The thing people don't seem to realize is that the bike as is gets about 2 hours of riding per charge (my commute is 20 minutes). You will get about 3 years out of the battery pack and the replacement will be a large chunk of change. But the best part is that when the battery needs to be replaced, the replacement will likely be much higher in capacity = more range.

Battery technology is improving still. The same can be said for the motor. I can't rebuild a motor, but I can replace a battery. :rofl:

Now I want to bomb some stairs!
very good point