Quantcast

The fab/DIY thread....

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I know there are some handy monkeys out there. Post up with stuff you have built or modified, for bikes or anything else. It would be cool to see other people's projects.

Some simple stuff I have built so far:

An air compressor bracket for my dad's F250:

Tig welded with a small DC inverter:

A refinished dresser from the 60s with new hardware:

The next major project for the garage. A fab table I drew in Sketchup:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
old old old but relevant - worlds longest post

Behold! The Planet Bike Dual-Spot light.

The AA caddy and the case opened

The stock internals

Exploded view of the new lighting assembly

I had to fit that black lens mount into that reflector

Dremel to the rescue!

The holder and lens fitted

In addition to the new lens, I had to use the original integrated cover/lens because it was part of the mounting design. Also, it keeps the light looking 'stock'.

I took 1/2 of a nose cone from a Harrier airplane model that was laying around and molded it to the top of the case. This is the hot air exhaust for my heatsink design.

This is the rear view of that exhaust

Using part of the Harrier canopy, I made an air intake scoop.

Another view of the intake scoop

This is what the case looks like put together. Air enters from underneath, flows over the heatsink, and out the top vent.

I mounted the RCR123A's this way and added a slide switch to the battery cover. I used a slide switch because of the limited amount of space.

View of the switch with the battery cover on. This cover will be closed with epoxy later.

The parts were painted flat black and flat grey.

Here is the recharging jack. It was screwed into the case by a few threads and then glued in with 5-min epoxy.

Almost done! The heatsink was mounted to the Lux with Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy. The case was sanded again with 600grit and a 2nd coat of paint applied.

The 1000mA BuckPuck being wired up and mounted with hot glue.

Ta da! All done!

Rear view. I really like that charging jack.

Mounted on the bike. The blue dot you see is the back of the black anodized heatsink.

Here is my charging setup

How it was mounted in my testing box. Since this light is meant to be used on a moving bike, I had to mount a fan in front of it to get airflow over the heatsink.

Unit fired up before closing the lid to start logging

BEFORE MOD - Shutter 1/2 f 3.5

AFTER MOD - Shutter 1/60 f 5.6 I think this picture is deceiving. Since the light was so spread out and intense, the camera changed the shutter/aperture to prevent it from being blown out. This made the Before and After look almost the same. Trust me, the after was MUCH brighter.

Hallway shot. This is a better representation of the output. There is no way a single 5mm white led can throw this!

And the runtime plot. X=Minutes Y=Measured Output (mA)

I'd compare the stock beam to a semi-focused 2AA Mag. It wasn't very good to begin with. :( Here are some comparison shots I just took:

No lights on

Surefire A2 held above and behind the handlebars

XM-2 Lux III held above and behind the handlebars

My modded light bar mounted. Notice that the construction in the distance is visible now!

Here are beamshots against a cement wall 15ft away:

A2

XM-2

My modded light

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Good work Arkayne. That's slick. I just built a 3 phase converter last weekend. I will get some pics up. Pretty simple, but should be sweet to be able to run 3 phase shop equipment in my garage.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
My last metal work project. Needed a decent exhaust for my Type 4 buggy and there is nothing for less than $1000. Assembled this using aftermarket J pipes with no heater exchange, a used Bursch Porsche 914 4-2-1 collector and a stinger muffler. Had to weld in some extensions and such and it turned out really nice. It was smashed to the motor with less than 100 miles on it. Mother****er!

Alas, I only did the design, cutting and tacking, paid a guy to finish the welds.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been known to DIY a few things...

I've made a few bike parts, both of these are from 5 or so years ago when I was still in college:

50mm stem, eventually I got it black anodized

DIY chain tensioner and bash guard:

I designed and built a hidden trailer hitch for my car last year:

I didn't build the whole thing myself, but I have done a lot of work on my single seat off road race buggy:

I also built the trailer for transporting the buggy.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Good projects guys...I love the buggy and the hitch. That hitch is really clean.

Jimmydean, I've always liked your R1 when you have posted pics and I'm a sucker for old trucks...especially slammed.

I just love custom stuff and it's so much better when you built it yourself.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Not bike related, but I did this... Cut a hole in the side of my house, built a closet (with foundation etc) built a stand and then mounted a 150g fish tank (with built in DIY rocks made from real rocks, spray foam, epoxy and sand), then framed/finished it on the inside with moulding and a swing-style door for feeding etc. Oh, and I installed some solar-tubes in the roof so that most of my lighting comes directly from the sun instead of some artificial energy grubbing metal halides.

I also built a side cabinet that houses a 55g drum and some extra eqiupment that is also tied into the main tank:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just love custom stuff and it's so much better when you built it yourself.
There was a sign in the old shop that said "It's not what you bought, it's what you built".

While I do like to see show cars, I have a ton more respect for people who rock what they built rather than buy someone else's dream. I wouldn't say "this is MY R1" had I not built it.

I did leave the tuning and suspension of the R1 to the experts, though. I know my limitations. I will install all the suspension in the truck and will do all the fab to support it. But Nate Porter (Porterbuilt Street Rods) makes some of the sickest welds known to man.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There was a sign in the old shop that said "It's not what you bought, it's what you built".

While I do like to see show cars, I have a ton more respect for people who rock what they built rather than buy someone else's dream. I wouldn't say "this is MY R1" had I not built it.

I did leave the tuning and suspension of the R1 to the experts, though. I know my limitations. I will install all the suspension in the truck and will do all the fab to support it. But Nate Porter (Porterbuilt Street Rods) makes some of the sickest welds known to man.

The guys that are robotic get so much respect from me. That crap is unreal. I agree with you on the building part. I never really understood the point of taking a vehicle to a show that you wrote a check for. You want recognition for spending money? I understand that not everyone can do everything...but I do my damnedest to learn. I guess I'm one of those rare people that if I had the money, I would just have more tools to build more toys instead buying more toys.

On a side note, ran my first tig beads on aluminum today:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

:shocked:

I really need to learn to weld properly.

I've got a bunch of random bike stuff I've machined, no pics on this computer though. Will post some later.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It's not bikes but I just finished my new helmet yesterday. (Pic of it fully completed when I get up tomorrow) It's 14 guage mild steel I dished cold. It's riveted together then welded in spots for additional safety. The brass was acid etched, then chased with a small chisel and a punch. The brass was then shaped and fit to the helmet and riveted on with escutchion pins. (Very small brass nails cut to size) The grill is 1/4" mild steel rod I shaped and welded.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The guys that are robotic get so much respect from me. That crap is unreal. I agree with you on the building part. I never really understood the point of taking a vehicle to a show that you wrote a check for. You want recognition for spending money? I understand that not everyone can do everything...but I do my damnedest to learn. I guess I'm one of those rare people that if I had the money, I would just have more tools to build more toys instead buying more toys.

On a side note, ran my first tig beads on aluminum today:
Great looking welds. I won't post mine, they are ugly. It's good to have friends with skills.

My strong areas are interior, audio, suspension, and its all my own design. I can't build an engine, but I can install and tune one well enough. I tend to build stuff that's different, I feel that's the point of building it. Otherwise I could just buy one. :rofl:

Ciaran, you build some bad ass sh!t my friend. Damn, that's skill.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Thanks guys.

It's for my medieval recreation hobby. (SCA - Society for Creative Anachronisms) We're mainly a bunch of geeks pretending to be lords and ladies, but we do full speed full contact medieval combat, which is what the helmet is for. The costuming and such is fun and all (especially if you're a geek) but the fighting is where it's at. It's a bit like kendo and escrima except that we use 1.25 inch rattan (like escrima but bigger) and wear more armour. It's also full speed without choreography so without good armour people get hurt since we get to hit as hard as we want. (Hurt being mostly bruises) We get quite a few military and law enforcement guys who participate.

It's tons of fun. We beat the crap out of each other and then drink beer. :weee:

Skared Shttles wanted to try it but was sad when he found out I don't actually wear tights or yell, "Lightning bolt!"

Man, I would love to learn to TIG!

Last edited:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I normally do electronics but this year I've been doing some more mechanical stuff. Thus far my hackerspace made this for a 72 hour redbull competition:

I built a cnc setup this year too (it's in my kitchen). I got all of the electronics (computer, drivers, power supplies, etc) to fit inside of a 24 inch toolbox and I still have room to add a 4th axis:

Oh, and I reverse engineered the tachometer on this mill and started selling kits that are way cheaper than the actual unit's tachometer. That's how I funded my cnc build :)

I'm in the middle of working on a few other electronic things, but I don't like to do writeups/show pictures until they are done.

I really wish I had a garage so I could get a TIG welder...:(

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I normally do electronics but this year I've been doing some more mechanical stuff. Thus far my hackerspace made this for a 72 hour redbull competition:

I built a cnc setup this year too (it's in my kitchen). I got all of the electronics (computer, drivers, power supplies, etc) to fit inside of a 24 inch toolbox and I still have room to add a 4th axis:

Oh, and I reverse engineered the tachometer on this mill and started selling kits that are way cheaper than the actual unit's tachometer. That's how I funded my cnc build :)

I'm in the middle of working on a few other electronic things, but I don't like to do writeups/show pictures until they are done.

I really wish I had a garage so I could get a TIG welder...:(
Jealous...all the CNC stuff is something I wish I knew more about. I would love to have one of the Torchmate 2x2s: http://torchmate.com/products/

If nothing more than to cut out perfect tabs and brackets, although I know there are a million other things I could do with it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's a bit like kendo and escrima except that we use 1.25 inch rattan (like escrima but bigger) and wear more armour.
Dude, that aint like the crap the nerds do here on the waterfront. I spent 3 years learning escrima/kali and other assorted Filipino martial arts. Best fighting system on earth. I would LOVE to do something like that, but around here it's more like the movie Role Models.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dude, that aint like the crap the nerds do here on the waterfront. I spent 3 years learning escrima/kali and other assorted Filipino martial arts. Best fighting system on earth. I would LOVE to do something like that, but around here it's more like the movie Role Models.
We're not the only group out there, but we're one of the few that go full speed, full contact. There are groups that use big foam weapons and pretend that they are literally in Lord of the Rings. That's not my thing, but if other people like it, hey, have fun. I should see if I can find a decent video of our fighting. Personally I think we're much more fun, but then I am a nerd.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We're not the only group out there, but we're one of the few that go full speed, full contact. There are groups that use big foam weapons and pretend that they are literally in Lord of the Rings. That's not my thing, but if other people like it, hey, have fun. I should see if I can find a decent video of our fighting. Personally I think we're much more fun, but then I am a nerd.
Foam and slow mo is what goes on at the waterfront. When I trained with Al it was live stick and it hurt (he used foam so it wouldn't be AS bad). I would love to get back into it.

<edit> I never could hit him, he was way too fast.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
are you running the sun tubes because its only a fish tank and not a reef tank?
No, it is a reef tank. The tubes can actually put out MORE par than a Mh. Granted, it is in a more concentrated area that will move over time (of the day and season) and you get more shading, but now to me at least, it looks more natural. All I use is 110w of actinic T5's to give it more of a blue look.

And like I said, you get more seasonal growth... but I also save a TON on electricity.
:thumb:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And like I said, you get more seasonal growth... but I also save a TON on electricity.
:thumb:
In our old house I looked at installing solar tube lighting in the kitchen because it was on the back side of the house and kinda dark. I love the idea of the natural light in the tank. Nice work.

Ciaran, nice helmet! Do you have any worthy links to get an idea of the build sequence? I'd love to make something like that for halloween... :D

nelsonjm, that looks awesome. A CNC mill is something I really drooled for, even more a couple of years back when I was into rc airplanes. Wish I had the time/money to make a similar project!

BTW, I already said that in another thread, but... Has anyone out there made (or is going to) a decent penny farthing? :D

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
How do you like your car? I want one like it.
It is very much a love/hate relationship. In general the allroad is a great do-everything car. It is powerful, decently sporty for being heavy, can handle mild off-road trails with the adjustable air suspension, can haul a lot of stuff, and is packed full of luxury features. But it does have plenty of issues, none too major but enough to be annoying. I bought a low mileage '04 model with the V8 engine in hopes of having less issues, but still have had to do probably 3k worth of repairs in the past 1.5 years. It is hard to find a trustworthy shop to work on them, and I DIY most stuff but even an alignment took two shops multiple tries to get it right. In general, if you don't mind dealing with problems as they occur then it is a great car to have. And they are fairly cheap nowadays, although will always have the maintenance costs of a $50k car.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Teaching myself to machine. Bought a lathe a while ago. I feel accomplished today as I was able to thread a 1/2 - 13 aluminum bolt out of bar stock.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Thanks guys.

It's for my medieval recreation hobby. (SCA - Society for Creative Anachronisms) We're mainly a bunch of geeks pretending to be lords and ladies, but we do full speed full contact medieval combat, which is what the helmet is for. The costuming and such is fun and all (especially if you're a geek) but the fighting is where it's at. It's a bit like kendo and escrima except that we use 1.25 inch rattan (like escrima but bigger) and wear more armour. It's also full speed without choreography so without good armour people get hurt since we get to hit as hard as we want. (Hurt being mostly bruises) We get quite a few military and law enforcement guys who participate.

It's tons of fun. We beat the crap out of each other and then drink beer. :weee:

Skared Shttles wanted to try it but was sad when he found out I don't actually wear tights or yell, "Lightning bolt!"

Man, I would love to learn to TIG!
Bo don't know Pennsic.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Some more work on the lathe. 2" aluminum turned down to 1.90, beveled on one end and drilled/tapped for all-thread on the other. Made these for a dresser I refinished a few months ago.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
It is hard to find a trustworthy shop to work on them, and I DIY most stuff but even an alignment took two shops multiple tries to get it right.
I wonder how much of this might be location related. I have relatives that live near Pittsburgh, and it seems like I never see any foreign cars in the area. On the other hand here there are a ton of audis, and the folks I've known with them haven't had any more trouble than usual finding decent mechanics.