Quantcast

The final mp3 player.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ill make this short and sweet.

I want a new mp3 player.

I want to have it be able to transfer files from computer and function as a portable hard drive.

I want it to interact with one program (like windows media player)

I want that program to be able to convert all my music into 230mb/sec mp3 format without me having to delete all the original file (un like i tunes).

Id like that program to locate all the music on my PC for me.

Any suggestions? I was looking at the iriver 20gb model. thanks.

edit: turns out the iriver is worse than my dell.

-mack

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
out of the box, i am pretty sure that the Karma can't function as a mass storage device. there might be work arounds to achieve this, though.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Archos gmini 400

Just got one and love it. Barely bigger than an ipod and has music, pictures, movies, and games. 20 gigs, decent battery life, beautiful color screen. Syncs with Windows Media Player and a few others.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Zack said:
Archos gmini 400

Just got one and love it. Barely bigger than an ipod and has music, pictures, movies, and games. 20 gigs, decent battery life, beautiful color screen. Syncs with Windows Media Player and a few others.

yeah but its 400 bucks.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Get the Rio Karma - bar none best hifi 20GB mp3 player.

$189.90 shipped to your door

http://www.compuplus.com

Would like to play with the new Cowon 5 series players, but they are a little too pricey :angry:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Zack said:
Archos gmini 400

Mmm, watching video on a 2.2 inch screen is fun :rolleyes: Plus the interface looks terrible. One of the reasons that the iPod is so popular is that it is a joy to use with a beautiful interface. The scrollwheel allows for very quick but accurate navigation that feels second nature. The iPod is also very integrated with iTunes, which is both a jukebox and a music store. iTunes doesn't duplicate songs before changing the bit rate, but I don't know of any program that does. However, it will find all of the music on your computer. And yes, the iPod also acts as a drag and drop hard drive.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
It's totally fine watching a movie on the screen... I really wouldn't start hating on the Archos, considering about every iPod owner that has checked mine out is like "damnit...why did I get an ipod and not this?" Not to mention that a significant percent of ipod owners just get ipods because it's cool and and hip to have the ipod. Newsflash - there's better stuff out there. Maybe it isn't marketed as well as the iPod, but it's better. Even the ipod photo is completely inferior to most other mp3 players with photo capibilities. I don't know about you, but personally I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on an iPod that's battery is going to slowly die after a year or two and have to send it in and get it fixed for 100 bucks - and I know several people that this has happened to. One of my friends is on his 4th iPod, and he does not mistreat them.. :rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
why is your friend on his 4th ipod again? i'm still using my original 1G ipod, which i bought in march 2002. yeah, i had to replace the battery, for all of $40 since i know how to unplug things. :rolleyes: big deal. it's not like non-apple mp3 manufacturers use some special kind of battery whose capacity does not diminish with time.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Two of them froze and could not be fixed so they were replaced, the next one had the battery issue and he didn't want to pay some ridiculous amount (it was way more than 40 bucks) so he got a new one.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Toshi said:
why is your friend on his 4th ipod again? i'm still using my original 1G ipod, which i bought in march 2002. yeah, i had to replace the battery, for all of $40 since i know how to unplug things. :rolleyes: big deal. it's not like non-apple mp3 manufacturers use some special kind of battery whose capacity does not diminish with time.

On Lithium Ion batteries diminish over time...as the Ions get made into normal ions and dont hold a charge. I am pretty sure this is why, usually caused by over charging.